New assistant?

I was looking at dickov today and his whole body language is of someone who is lacking in support. He needs guidance from an experienced manager. I feel because dickovs gets no help from taggart in a sense of having not managed before. Joe royle would be perfect! Royle as number 2 help him out for a season. His post match comments support this, how can we take any positives from today apart from a 15 min spell when we though we still had a chance of getting back into it! We lacked drive, positional sense, heart on sleeve action and players supporting and making moves. None of that dickov brings to the table. He says his players will chase every lost ball just like himself! we didn't once press today. Thought people?

I was looking at dickov today and his whole body language is of someone who is lacking in support. He needs guidance from an experienced manager. I feel because dickovs gets no help from taggart in a sense of having not managed before. Joe royle would be perfect! Royle as number 2 help him out for a season. His post match comments support this, how can we take any positives from today apart from a 15 min spell when we though we still had a chance of getting back into it! We lacked drive, positional sense, heart on sleeve action and players supporting and making moves. None of that dickov brings to the table. He says his players will chase every lost ball just like himself! we didn't once press today. Thought people?

I was thinking that myself at the match yesterday, the return of old head Gary Johnson to assist former manager Terry Skiverton at Yeovil has worked wonders.

I was thinking that myself at the match yesterday, the return of old head Gary Johnson to assist former manager Terry Skiverton at Yeovil has worked wonders.

This topic was covered last week and your right.

Some posters think Dicov would walk if we brought an older head in, if that happens then it happens.

Problem out there that there is a lack of talent unless you want a Stan Ternant etc......

I've no idea what GT brings to the party. He could be fantastic for all I know.

On the assumption that he should be replaced an experienced number two would be worthwhile. But not somebody who would end up undemrining Dickov - as an experience manager might.

Regardless, this one's Paul Dickov's call. A manager is usually only as good as those he has working for him. That includes the players. Not just the backroom staff.

Edited by opinions4u

I agree that an older more experienced head would probably be of some assistance to Dickov.

Quite were the money would come from for this, given that we have been making redundancies among the admin staff I'm not sure.

We are destined yet again to finish lower mid table, as we can't defend to save our lives and are getting regularly turned over by teams we should be beating.

The change ive noticed on the bench is that since Dux is no longer pitch side; Paul Butler is the one to tell the subs to warm up, tell them they are to come on & is the one who is briefing the subs as they prepare to come on.

Now, this is the same Paul Butler who is a strength & conditioning coach; a 'fitness guru' if you will. The same bloke who's actual background is in Rugby League save for a 1 season working in the reserves for Fulham.

Now, i ask the question. Why is he the one to do that role?

Surely, of the people pitch-side it should be Taggart who is performing that role; with PD also getting involved as they are almost ready to come on? Not the fitness coach????

Ive said it before. I think there are signs that PD is learning from previous mistakes, but he's basically in the same position as Tarky. They're both in their 2nd full seasons. He's bound to be making wrong calls due to his inexperience.

An older head as a coach or assistant manager to PD is exactly what is required IMO:

Lee Clark had Terry McDermott

Carl Robinson has the briliant John Gorman

Dougie Freedman at Palace has Lennie Lawrence

We need someone for PD IMO, but - it'll be tricky to introduce one now; that is the problem. It should have been up from the off. To bring one in now might result in dummy spits & tears and tantrums

Its needed though.....i dont see the backroom management group working at present for PD. He looks very isolated

The obvious choice would be Royle, but i'd stay well clear as Joe would be a millstone round Paul's neck. What's Brian Horton doing these days now that Brown's out of work? Could someone like Steve Eyre (a well respected coach in the game) bring something to the party?

As for yesterday, for Dickov to be taking positives out an absolutely :censored:e performanace defies belief. Rueben Reid apart we were garbage from 1-29, as for Kuqi enough's a enough, drop him. As much as some see Kuqi as the messiah don't forget we had already won two out of 5 this season before his arrival. So we CAN win games without his High Sulkiness, and that miss yesterday was obscene for a man of his experience. Yes he had a purple patch but his misses are costing us points now. One goal in open play 21 games is not good enough for a team 10 points shy of safety. We've accused manager's of picking their mates before, but this time there is a clear favouritism with Shefki, and there's already a bit of bitterness brewing among the younger lads in the squad that are waiting for their chance but all they are seeing is the same ineffectual performances from the like of Kuqi, Taylor and the midfielders...

The obvious choice would be Royle, but i'd stay well clear as Joe would be a millstone round Paul's neck. What's Brian Horton doing these days now that Brown's out of work? Could someone like Steve Eyre (a well respected coach in the game) bring something to the party?

As for yesterday, for Dickov to be taking positives out an absolutely :censored:e performanace defies belief. Rueben Reid apart we were garbage from 1-29, as for Kuqi enough's a enough, drop him. As much as some see Kuqi as the messiah don't forget we had already won two out of 5 this season before his arrival. So we CAN win games without his High Sulkiness, and that miss yesterday was obscene for a man of his experience. Yes he had a purple patch but his misses are costing us points now. One goal in open play 21 games is not good enough for a team 10 points shy of safety. We've accused manager's of picking their mates before, but this time there is a clear favouritism with Shefki, and there's already a bit of bitterness brewing among the younger lads in the squad that are waiting for their chance but all they are seeing is the same ineffectual performances from the like of Kuqi, Taylor and the midfielders...

That just about sums it up for me, although I thought Morais did ok...

Edited by Break The Silence

It's Dickov's call if he feels he works with Taggart he stays, beisdes bring someone in now and it looks like we are moving to replace him. A few bad results and people will want a swap, at Yeovil Gary Johnson has come in as manager with TS as his number two. Besides we don't know what Taggart does, I have never seen them on the training ground and on matchdays he does seem to give out instrutions from the bench. Maybe it doesn't work, but force a guy to sack a friend and someone he brought in he will walk.

I'd be more inclined to think it's down to a lack of confidence in the players available to replace him.

From a player who I know at latics, says he doesn't do alot ,lacks motivation. Those two points are enough for me. Any of you think it was an error on latics behalf not putting him with someone who has managed previous? I wish dickov wud watch from the stands and see what actually happens in games cause his sheki is brilliant goggles are starting to drive me mad!!!