Man U fanzine cover tonight

I agree with them. I couldn't believe the reaction at the time and it just got worse and worse, some games had minutes applauses for him! Hurts to say it but Richard :censored:lejohn wrote about this and I agreed with him too.

Hope the lad gets well soon and I also hope he is able to carry on his football career but I found the reaction very bizarre. Especially the "pray for Muamba" stuff, "Hope the medical staff do their jobs competently" isn't as catchy and a few too many characters for a hashtag but is as much use as praying.

In bad taste- Yes.

Do I disagree with the sentiment- No.

Instead of tweeting PrayforMuamba- why didn't every footballer actually give some money to reduce the risk, improve CPR training for the public, improve access to defibrillators. Actually scratch that how good would the NHS be if every Premiership footballer paid their taxes in full as opposed to dodging them by getting paid to a limited company. Factor the other celebrities who did the same and that's a whole lot of cash.

I think most of you know where I stand with the whole praying thing.

I couldn't believe this either...

some games had minutes applause for him!

He's not brown bread. What next? Prepare yourself for 'Abide with Me' and black armbands for a dodgy haircut.

Its nothing me & my mates didnt say. I question why its on the front page, surely as a united fanzine they should be talking about their own club on the front or taking the piss out of liverpool/city/leeds or whoever? I think its on the front for effect, but I dont think the picture is that bad or says anything out of order.

They should be careful though calling people "Grief junkies" though. Munich was a long time ago. No doubt the response will be "you are still going on about something 55 years ago" all it does by using terms like that is give people ammo to have a pop back. IMO Nowt wrong with what was said, did it need to be said or more is the point - in that way?

Edited by pukka

Its nothing me & my mates didnt say. I question why its on the front page, surely as a united fanzine they should be talking about their own club on the front or taking the piss out of liverpool/city/leeds or whoever? I think its on the front for effect, but I dont think the picture is that bad or says anything out of order.

They should be careful though calling people "Grief junkies" though. Munich was a long time ago. No doubt the response will be "you are still going on about something 55 years ago" all it does by using terms like that is give people ammo to have a pop back. IMO Nowt wrong with what was said, did it need to be said or more is the point - in that way?

Same thing occured to me, but on the other hand, that was something to do with their own club at least. For me a player at Latics or one we've had (Ernie, Butcher, Kelly) dying or being ill does have some emotional element to it, but an unrelated player means no more to me than some bloke having an accident on a building site or dying of hunger

I think most of you know where I stand with the whole praying thing.

I couldn't believe this either...

He's not brown bread. What next? Prepare yourself for 'Abide with Me' and black armbands for a dodgy haircut.

I don't really object to the applause, although I do think it's a bit extreme and has gone on for a surprisingly long time, given that his condition now seems to be remarkably good.

I think it's in pretty bad taste to use the photo of Muamba having treatment to convey the joke. He's still in a pretty serious condition and there's a good chance he may not fully recover and that his footballing career may be over. I think there's a balance to be struck.

The praying thing, though, I'm with you 100%.

Same thing occured to me, but on the other hand, that was something to do with their own club at least. For me a player at Latics or one we've had (Ernie, Butcher, Kelly) dying or being ill does have some emotional element to it, but an unrelated player means no more to me than some bloke having an accident on a building site or dying of hunger

Playing devils advocate - there are people mourning for the busby babes who are 20-50 years old. The cant remember them, no more so than they can remember the middle ages. Some might say that is a "Grief Junkie?

Again - playing devils advocate:

If the bolton fanzine has a picture of the munich air disaster. A man United fan with a red issue super imposed onto it saying to his mate "How long should we mourn? 50 years?" and his mate saying "better make it 100" what would the reaction be?

Personally I thibk what they said was right, but how they went about it, wasnt.

Edited by pukka

I think it catches the reality of the situation rather well.

Funny, no. But makes a worthwhile point.

The praying stuff - I have no problem with. If people want to pray let them. If people believe in the power of prayer fine. If they don't, equally fine.

Latics visit to the Reebok? I suppose it shows respect for the fellow professional. It helps remind footballers how lucky they are too. Not fussed one way or the other.

Minute's applause / silence or whatever? I think these are becoming too commonplace. I don't think a bloke somehow surviving this situation warrants it. It used to be something that happened once every three for four seasons. Now it's three or four times every season. It's for others to decide where to draw the line though. Here's some examples and musings:

Armistice weekend - as part of an act of national rememberance, I think this is right.

Bobby Moore World Cup winning captain dying - yup, makes sense.

Albert Tatlock, 83 year old Latics fan coming to the end of his days - nope, not sure here. Some other act by the club is fine, but involving visiting players, not so sure. I'd guess 20+ regulars croak every season. Possibly more.

Gary Speed half decent if unspectacular former Premiership player dying young - really not sure. Wonderful man by all accounts. I can perhaps understand Welsh, Leeds, Bolton and Everton games being impacted. But Latics v Equally Crappy League One side? Not sure at all unless there's some sort of direct club connection.

Latics fan hostage killed in Nigera (I think) - still not sure. Similar to Albert above although cause of death and age bring some shades of grey in to it.

Current Latics player dies (hopefully not going to happen) - yes.

Recent former Latics player dies - not sure.

OAP former Latics player dies - I don't think so. Some other pre-match acknowledgement, yes. But no a minute's silence / applause involving both teams.

78 year old David Beckham dies - no.

40 year old David Beckham dies - no. Possibly at Man Utd. Possibly before an England game.

Current England manager dies - yes.

Former England manager who won nothing dies - no.

Former England manager who won one of the two major titles - yes.

86 year old Alex Ferguson dies - only at Man Utd.

118 year old Joe Royle dies - only at Latics.

Edited by opinions4u

I think I am disagreeing with you a fair bit these days o4u, but I suppose it wouldn't be much of a forum if we all agreed!

I don't agree with many of your classifications, if a latic fan dies aged 88 who has dragged him or herself to BP every home (with the odd exception, part timer!) for 70 years then of course we should have a minutes silence, probably applause for the poor bugger!

These days a football crowd is one of the only times a largish crowd gathers and is able to pay respect.

Bad taste - absolutley.

I disagree with most on here and I don't think it can be compared to the mass hysteria surrounding Diana's death. What's wrong with people pulling together and wishing the lad well. Let's not forget it happened on Live TV in an FA Cup Quarter Final, he died for over an hour and then survived and is only recovering now.

Rudemedic - Don't you think that this issue being in the media does bring more awareness? I for one have seen a number of articles calling for more First Aid Training/Defibulators, more tests for kids etc.

I think I am disagreeing with you a fair bit these days o4u, but I suppose it wouldn't be much of a forum if we all agreed!

Feel free.

This one in particular is going to be emotive and I'm not claiming to have it "right" in the post above. Just my initial thoughts to stimulate debate if people do want to debate it.

I don't agree with many of your classifications, if a latic fan dies aged 88 who has dragged him or herself to BP every home (with the odd exception, part timer!) for 70 years then of course we should have a minutes silence, probably applause for the poor bugger!

I'm looking at this statistically rather than considering the suffering this poor old timer has endured over decades of watching Latics.

Let's say for argument sake we've got 400 regular attendees aged 70+. It's a guess on my part but around 10%-15% of the fan base seems reasonable, and Corney referenced an aging fan base during one of his interviews last summer.

Of these 400 a reasonable percentage are going to die each year. Circle of life and all that. 10%? So 40 a season. Two lots of silence per game. Plus the mandatory minute for Harry Redknapp's dog dying earlier that week.

It's too much. Even if my figures are on the high side and we typically only have a dozen or so current supporters leaving this mortal coil each season.

This isn't meant to be in any way disrespectful and apologies if anybody is offended or if it impacts on a bereavement that you've had recently.

Bad taste - absolutley.

I disagree with most on here and I don't think it can be compared to the mass hysteria surrounding Diana's death. What's wrong with people pulling together and wishing the lad well. Let's not forget it happened on Live TV in an FA Cup Quarter Final, he died for over an hour and then survived and is only recovering now.

Rudemedic - Don't you think that this issue being in the media does bring more awareness? I for one have seen a number of articles calling for more First Aid Training/Defibulators, more tests for kids etc.

Where's the money going to come from, the NHS is a bit short of cash as it is. CPR training in schools is a good idea- honestly I knew a bit when I was in school from watching telly but some formal teaching wouldn't have gone amiss. Defibrillators cost money, the required screening test for Cardiomyopathy (which it probably was) costs around £500. Wayne Rooney's weekly wage pays for around 400,000 tests- his hourly wage pays for 2. Presumably heart charities have received a bit more funding recently as a result of Muamba, however, the event was enough to raise awareness, the awareness isn't that much bigger as a result of celebrities tweeting about it. Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere et. al. could give so much more without it seriously impacting their income, but tweeting #PrayforMuamba which aside from letting Muamba and his relatives know that you care about his health does very little compared to what they could have done/ could still do.

Where's the money going to come from, the NHS is a bit short of cash as it is. CPR training in schools is a good idea- honestly I knew a bit when I was in school from watching telly but some formal teaching wouldn't have gone amiss. Defibrillators cost money, the required screening test for Cardiomyopathy (which it probably was) costs around £500. Wayne Rooney's weekly wage pays for around 400,000 tests- his hourly wage pays for 2. Presumably heart charities have received a bit more funding recently as a result of Muamba, however, the event was enough to raise awareness, the awareness isn't that much bigger as a result of celebrities tweeting about it. Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere et. al. could give so much more without it seriously impacting their income, but tweeting #PrayforMuamba which aside from letting Muamba and his relatives know that you care about his health does very little compared to what they could have done/ could still do.

How about #donate4Muamba a fiver to the BHF or such like? Much more pro-active….

How about #donate4Muamba a fiver to the BHF or such like? Much more pro-active….

Similarly, on the back of rudemedic's post I was just thinking, #campaignforpremfootballerstodonateaweekswagestotheheartfoundationinsteadofaskingpeopletoprayeventhoughtheydontbelieveingod

Or something like that...

Taking my tun at Devil's Advocate, if a load of cash gets spent on heart stuff because of one incident is that the best use of money, or is it a further Dianification? After all, to reverse Jin's point, if it hadn't happened on live TV in a big game it wouldn't have the same effect. Not that I'm against giving to charity but on the basis of on bloke's condition?

Taking my tun at Devil's Advocate, if a load of cash gets spent on heart stuff because of one incident is that the best use of money, or is it a further Dianification? After all, to reverse Jin's point, if it hadn't happened on live TV in a big game it wouldn't have the same effect. Not that I'm against giving to charity but on the basis of on bloke's condition?

You have a point, rather than a moral panic it's more like a 'look, I have morals Panic'. The guy who has been sent down for 8 weeks for taking the piss out of muamba is ridiculous, yes his opinions are in poor taste, but so :censored:ing what? We're supposed to live in a free society. His racial opinions were rightly taken to task but would he have been dealt with so severely if he was not sharing his knuckle dragging opinions about that weeks' pet tabloid story?

You have a point, rather than a moral panic it's more like a 'look, I have morals Panic'. The guy who has been sent down for 8 weeks for taking the piss out of muamba is ridiculous, yes his opinions are in poor taste, but so :censored:ing what? We're supposed to live in a free society. His racial opinions were rightly taken to task but would he have been dealt with so severely if he was not sharing his knuckle dragging opinions about that weeks' pet tabloid story?

Others have been charged over similar incidents that had nothing to do with Muamba. I have no sympathy for the guy whatsoever.

http://www.cardiac-services.com/george-bests-brother-kickstarts-drive-for-defibrillators-!276528-news.aspx

I've known Ian since my Army days, the work he has put into trying to get defibs distributed thru work places and public places has been relentless, with some success, some ignorance, some promises but yet some false promises- life savers. you just never know.