So in the most unimpressive manner possible...

Its totally irrelevant though, the ball should have been played several seconds earlier and we would have had a better chance of scoring............... it was very selfish!

As for the pitch, I agree............ its being relaid!

How did it get in that state, I imagine it's not been played on as much as Rochdale's, unless they've been training on it ?

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot remember a season when I have enjoyed watching our football less than this one - atrocious for large parts and so many basic skills lacking. Oh - anyone else think that the quality of the playing surface needs to be seriously improved - simply not conducive to decent football.

You enjoyed watching us under Penney more than this?!

I have defended the team on numerous occasions in the past when I've felt people have overeacted but yesterdays game was awful a half decent side would have had Preston our of sight by half time, in my opinion it wasn't that we weren't creating many chances but I felt that as a team we were carrying too many passangers yesterday with Kuqi being one of them, for example Morais and Furman would win the ball then nobody would make a move into the right position which led to a very frustrating game but I don't think it's the end of the world, we just need to replace these passangers with players who are prepared to do their job when it matters

I have defended the team on numerous occasions in the past when I've felt people have overeacted but yesterdays game was awful a half decent side would have had Preston our of sight by half time, in my opinion it wasn't that we weren't creating many chances but I felt that as a team we were carrying too many passangers yesterday with Kuqi being one of them, for example Morais and Furman would win the ball then nobody would make a move into the right position which led to a very frustrating game but I don't think it's the end of the world, we just need to replace these passangers with players who are prepared to do their job when it matters

You are correct, lack of movement has been a big feature this season, that's something that doesn't need individual talent, just willingness and application.

However, it's possible the coaching team may have instructed the players to always 'keep their shape' which could explain the rigidity.

Edited by BP1960

It was awful under Penney. Awful. As bad a season as I can recall.

But, most of the home games this season have been on a par with that served up under Dangerous Dave. And that is about as damming indictment as you could ever hope to see.

The "at least we've tried to play football" argument is null & void I'm afraid. Because we havent since the start of Jan, and to be fair; it wasn't that much better Aug to Jan either.

I just don't understand what's gone on? It appears PD has gone completely full circle and deserted the tactics that served him & us so well at the start of the 2010-2011 season. On paper & in theory, we have a higher calibre of player this season; so why have the tactics gone to the complete opposite of what they were? Why are we now looking a slow, predictable, void of creativity lost cause when we have shown that we can play a high tempo, high press, 1 & 2 touch passing game that worked, was effective and won us plenty of points?

I wanted to ask PD this at the forum, but that chance was takne away when it was cancelled. Shame - I wanted to hear his response.

It was awful under Penney. Awful. As bad a season as I can recall.

But, most of the home games this season have been on a par with that served up under Dangerous Dave.

No, no it hasn't. Dave was just keep possession at the back and lump it. PD is at least trying to play the right way. It fails miserabley fairly regularly due to the ineptitude of our players (and budget), but it is a hell of a step up from Penney and Ronnie's managerial entertainment. And I was a Penney in bloke.

I'm not his greatest fan, but I struggle to see how you can call Dickov on rubbish football with the plasticine knives he has at hand.

I really don't like the way this is heading, yet again. Although the discussion may be calm at the moment, this is working towards the sacking of Dickov.

NB. Maddog, I owe you a pint. I thought we'd have been goners.

No, no it hasn't. Dave was just keep possession at the back and lump it. PD is at least trying to play the right way. It fails miserabley fairly regularly due to the ineptitude of our players (and budget), but it is a hell of a step up from Penney and Ronnie's managerial entertainment. And I was a Penney in bloke.

I'm not his greatest fan, but I struggle to see how you can call Dickov on rubbish football with the plasticine knives he has at hand.

I really don't like the way this is heading, yet again. Although the discussion may be calm at the moment, this is working towards the sacking of Dickov.

NB. Maddog, I owe you a pint. I thought we'd have been goners.

Edited by slystallone

/\

but has it?

I mean, we beat Chesterfield convincingly at BP, but was the football served up of a high quality that day? Did we play them off the park with quick temp 1 & 2 touch slick passing? Or was it that we beat a terrible side that were in front of us by being clinical in front of goal for a change?

If you think it was the former then I'll have a pint of what you're on.

We've humped it forward from the back just as much as we ever have this season; Reece Brown is a culprit. So too Tarky. It's basically all big Jean can do with the ball at his feet. They aren't bring balled out or shouted down when they do it either.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the purple patch of decent entertaining football at te start of the 2010-2011 was a sheer fluke. A riding high on the wave of positivity after the depression of Dave Penney. The longer this goes, the more it looks like the players were merely responding to PD's obvious personality differences over DP; and the positive performances were a result of that; not of PD's tactics alone.

We don't play football the right way anymore, we haven't for a good while. It's been :censored:e for ages; and only the most blinkered are failing to spot it IMO.

He has a huge pre-season ahead. He (PD) has to recruit sensibly, and he has to sort his tactics out, he has to sort out the way he sets his side and he has to start bloody learning.

Just becuase he appears to be a thoroughly decent bloke does not for 1 moment mean he should be excused from people asking questions of him, some real valid questions at that.

Please don't mix asking questions of what are clear, obvious failings and serious tactical issues with wanting the manager to be sacked. It really pisses me off that there appears to no middle ground with some - that you have to either blindly follow in the belief it will come good; or you are a 'I want Dickov out'.

I want PD to succeed becuase if he does; my club does to. But just becuase I choose to ask what is going on does not mean I want him sacked.

GMR reporter summed this one up with

"apart from the 10 min spell when both the goals were scored , this game was just mind numbing "

About sums up most of our season and i for one after 40 years a S/T holder will not be renewing to watch that cr*p.

After enduring the Penny era i never thought i would say that but afraid PD has gone backwards at a rate of knots.

We are what we are and the future holds nothing to justify the outlay of a S/T .

Edited by losesome

But the problem is we're not keeping our shape BP.

We did however keep our shape at the start of 2010-2011 season, yet still had movement a plenty.

Tactics have changed & I don't understand why they have?

I agree it's a mystery Sly, but what I'm getting at is - does a "keep your shape" tactic inhibit players (particularly at home where the players seem apprehensive anyway in case of crowd criticism) from venturing too far from their allotted positions ?

You have got to have discipline and shape, but also some measure of movement, it's a fine balance that PD may well be working on, but can't perfect with the players he has at his disposal. He needs to do so next season.

I agree it's a mystery Sly, but what I'm getting at is - does a "keep your shape" tactic inhibit players (particularly at home where the players seem apprehensive anyway in case of crowd criticism) from venturing too far from their allotted positions ?

You have got to have discipline and shape, but also some measure of movement, it's a fine balance that PD may well be working on, but can't perfect with the players he has at his disposal. He needs to do so next season.

I remember a lovely goal we scored to equalise at Brentford last season. Lee down the right to Jones. The full back overlaps and collects the return ball. Pulls the ball back diagonally to the edge of the box where it's met by an advanced Dean Furman who coolly slots it home.

Movement.

It was swift, simple and effective.

It epitomised what Dickov is supposedly about and was great to watch. Yes, the 3-3 draw with Exeter the following month taught him the lesson that his players also need to see games out. "keeping shape" is part of that. But we have players who can damage the opposition and I'd rather watch us having a go than the turgid :censored: that's been served up recently.

Full backs are an attacking force. If one's forwards the other stays back. It's not that hard, is it?

I remember a lovely goal we scored to equalise at Brentford last season. Lee down the right to Jones. The full back overlaps and collects the return ball. Pulls the ball back diagonally to the edge of the box where it's met by an advanced Dean Furman who coolly slots it home.

Movement.

It was swift, simple and effective.

It epitomised what Dickov is supposedly about and was great to watch. Yes, the 3-3 draw with Exeter the following month taught him the lesson that his players also need to see games out. "keeping shape" is part of that. But we have players who can damage the opposition and I'd rather watch us having a go than the turgid :censored: that's been served up recently.

Full backs are an attacking force. If one's forwards the other stays back. It's not that hard, is it?

I agee about movement, keeping your shape shouldn't just mean lines of traffic cones placed in a 4 -4 -2 formation.

Edited by BP1960

Kuqi fell and the ball bobbled as he was passing it to M'Changama so the boo's as usual by the idiots who follow us were totally unjustified. I know he did very little but don't bloody boo our own players ffs!

I whole heartedly agree with this Eyres_28. This season I have found it difficult to keep my mouth shut with the same idiots sitting behind me who boo even if the slightest pass goes astray and I couldn't keep it in any longer on Saturday (Sorry to the bloke sat right behind me who got most of my rant in his face btw).

I have been going to Latics since I was 8 years old and I have never know people to get on the players backs like they do now.

FFS, I know it's not inspiring and yes there have been some very questionable passes, crosses, shots and tatical decisions since Christmas but even so I just wish people would get behind the team, we are not Real Madrid for Christ's sake. I some times feel that there is a seat for some of these "boo boys" at a certain larger club that also play in blue up the road were expectations are of a premiership ilk.

On one of the other threads people are going on about keeping hold of the likes of Simo, Kuqi, KMB et al, how the F are we going to keep such players if they are going to get abused every game?

Like I said I know it's not inspiring football at all times, just urge people to get behind the team. We have two games left, we are safe lets get behind the boys.

Oldham 'til I die.

I whole heartedly agree with this Eyres_28. This season I have found it difficult to keep my mouth shut with the same idiots sitting behind me who boo even if the slightest pass goes astray and I couldn't keep it in any longer on Saturday (Sorry to the bloke sat right behind me who got most of my rant in his face btw).

I have been going to Latics since I was 8 years old and I have never know people to get on the players backs like they do now.

FFS, I know it's not inspiring and yes there have been some very questionable passes, crosses, shots and tatical decisions since Christmas but even so I just wish people would get behind the team, we are not Real Madrid for Christ's sake. I some times feel that there is a seat for some of these "boo boys" at a certain larger club that also play in blue up the road were expectations are of a premiership ilk.

On one of the other threads people are going on about keeping hold of the likes of Simo, Kuqi, KMB et al, how the F are we going to keep such players if they are going to get abused every game?

Like I said I know it's not inspiring football at all times, just urge people to get behind the team. We have two games left, we are safe lets get behind the boys.

Oldham 'til I die.

While I agree with you that we have some real idiots, who annoy the :censored: out of me week in week out!

I also believe we have as many happy clapping pillocks as we do moaners! There were about 4 of them sitting near me in the main stand who decided to give Kuqi a standing ovation when he was substituted on Saturday! :petesake:

I also understand people's natural reaction at that moment when Kuqi selfishly decided not to pass the ball early, was to show him thier discontent!

On the whole though, you are right people should not turn up and boo week in week out!

While I agree with you that we have some real idiots, who annoy the :censored: out of me week in week out!

I also believe we have as many happy clapping pillocks as we do moaners! There were about 4 of them sitting near me in the main stand who decided to give Kuqi a standing ovation when he was substituted on Saturday! :petesake:

I also understand people's natural reaction at that moment when Kuqi selfishly decided not to pass the ball early, was to show him thier discontent!

On the whole though, you are right people should not turn up and boo week in week out!

I agree with you that giving Shefki a standing ovation may have been a little over the top, and I do agree that it is easy to get frustrated with the players but I think booing and shouting, "get the f**k back to Newcastle" as one of them so eloquently put it (ahem!) is a bit extreme!

The bloke is shattered. Age + Too much running + Too many games has done for him. Deffo need a bit of experience to flesh out the young squad, then maybe use the guy as a sub, you know, last 20-25 mins impact player- I reckon he will bag loads.

Hopefully, have a good close season in terms of free transfers and get into it next year.

I clapped kuqi off. As I always do at substitutions. I'm a Latics fan and he is one of our players.

Apologies - I thought that clapping your own players was the correct etiquette. I shall ensure I sit on my hands next match.