Kuqi future uncertain

For his wage, we could get 1 or even 2 more than able replacements from the free transfer pool

Quite a few are saying this sort of thing, but is it true? We've heard the figure of £2500/week, and also a counterclaim that it's a lot less than that. Even the higher figure might get you a Warren Feeney and a Ryan Brooke.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? We still doing this?

"For anyone who cared to see what happened" the pass was on a good 10 seconds before he diecided to go for glory himself; panicked when he realised he'd made the shocking decision and then fecked up when he tried to make a pass that wasn't on by then.

'Everyone who cared' - including Dickov, Taggart (+ Westley & his assisitant!) could see that the pass wasn't taken on when it should have, he was balled out for it by Dickov (the first time this season I have heard that happen) and was then subbed not not after. Dickov knew, Taggart knew, I knew, Those around me knew, heck even Kuqi knew........but obviously we all dont care to see what happened eh?

That 1 incident summed up what he's been all about since November. As I keep saying, Thanks for the 16; they have been very important. But - his body is shot, his head has gone and he will be a big drain on the wages and more of a hinderance than a help next season. For his wage, we could get 1 or even 2 more than able replacements from the free transfer pool; who are younger, fitter and less of a prick on the pitch.

Thanks Shefki for your effort this season, good luck in your retirement.

That's your take on the pass that never was. On the day IMHO as I saw it, he did spot the pass and was about to play it across but he shinned it and the chance was gone cos he couldn't then bring it under control soon enough (as I stated in a post the very next day) Low and behold in his frank LW interview he to stated he saw the pass and wanted the defender to step closer to him to play the ball over to make more room for M'Changama but :censored:ed it up. Granted it doesn't sound as colourful and vitriolic as yours but nevermind.

Love it for Kuqi to get those 4 more goals. Sadly along with the sides form that looks unlikely, but who else will score the goals?

Why's this pass that never was become such a big issue? I'm sure there are examples of all our attacking players being greedy at some point this season. Its the first time I can remember Kuqi doing something which could be considered greedy.

Seems like some people just want an excuse to attack him because mistakes aside, his workrate and effort have been unquestionable and people are so desperate to feel vindicated in their criticism.

Absolutely - that 2nd Carlisle goal shows its not just Kuqi who's out of form. When was the last time we played football like that?

The novel concept of an overlapping fullback and a striker waiting to pounce in the box.

That :censored: winger Taylor also part of the creativity that day :wink:

Seriously though, I do wonder how much that Carlisle fight back changed Dickov's tactical approach in a similar way to the Exeter draw last season. Robbie Simpson's injury time miss at Brunton Park has a lot to answer for!

That's your take on the pass that never was. On the day IMHO as I saw it, he did spot the pass and was about to play it across but he shinned it and the chance was gone cos he couldn't then bring it under control soon enough (as I stated in a post the very next day) Low and behold in his frank LW interview he to stated he saw the pass and wanted the defender to step closer to him to play the ball over to make more room for M'Changama but :censored:ed it up. Granted it doesn't sound as colourful and vitriolic as yours but nevermind.

Love it for Kuqi to get those 4 more goals. Sadly along with the sides form that looks unlikely, but who else will score the goals?

Just to clarify - merely because I'm questioning the validity of us exercising the option on a 36 year old striker who I, and many; many others believe is a shot spent force - does not for one moment mean that I actively don't want him to score goals for us, if that's what your implying?

Kuqi scores - A N Other player scores, and we stand a better chance of doing that strange thing called winning football games. Funnily enough, That's what I want for my team - to win games.

I hope he does score 4 more & reaches 20 for the season. He can then tell his new born child in future years that he signed off from his last season as a pro footballer with 20 for the season. I can't see him doing so on the form he's displayed for these last 6 going on 7 months; but that's certainly not to say I don't want him to. It's an obvious one really, but without the goals he scored during his purple patch when his legs & head were still fine at the start of the season, we wouldn't be even talking about the (slight) prospect of him reaching 20. And that is the key bit for me, his goal return reflects the period when he first joined us when his legs & head were still working for him. They don't anymore and it's no coincidence that his return has been a mere 3 goals since.

My issue is, and always has been since November 2011, that on the pitch, he is a spent force now. His performances on the pitch, his goals return and his match attitude since then all show that IMO. If we have him here next season; with his much vaunted attitude, he'll be wanting to & expecting to play in as many games as possible. Be honest - even the most ardent members of the Kuqi fan-club, can you honestly see Kuqi being happy with a sub role for the 2012-2013 season? I've read a number of posters saying they'd have him here to "do a job for the last 15mins of a game". If he's enjoyed a mere 30/40% of this season actually playing games; do you think he's going to want to sit on a bench for 75mins every game to be "unleashed" for the final throws? I don't.

The only other option to the 'super sub' is for Kuqi to be the starting forward every game (as he'd want to be if he's here); just as he has been this season. With a return of 3 goals (1 in open play) since November last year - would the prospect of a striker showing that form & ability fill you with much confidence for the coming season? His legs are gone now - what will they be like in Jan 2013?

I'm not bashing the bloke for the sake of it, for :censored:s & giggles here. I'm posting on an Oldham forum about my big concerns about a player who I believe will cause far more issues if he is still here, than he would create if he wasn't. There are loads & loads of younger Kuqi's available this summer - and all I'm saying is that the club should IMO be looking to sign 1 or 2 of them; rather than exercising an option on a 36 year old spent force who has one heck of an attitude.

I'll say it again just so it's clear. Thank you for the 16 goals to date and for your 1 season with us Shefki, but IMO the club & the player should have a nice amicable separation, for the best of both parties.

.* we'll leave the Preston pass-that-never-was issue there. I think it was a truly shocking piece of play, others it seems think it was down to a bobble. Agree to disagree on that.

Nope not implying you don't want him to score. That would be ridiculous.

Every player comes to his natural end and yes Kuqi cannot be far off now. His game is all about endevour which doesn't lend itself to 'getting by' in games like a slow but skilful player would. I still think Kuqi's form dipped along with the whole team. No striker in the world would have been scoring for a Latics side making no chances. The only way Latics can score currently is for one player to do something super on his own. Trouble is super goals come along every 10 games. Team goals are far more often.

Edited by Lags

My backing of Kuqi over the pass that never was came purely due to believing he did see the pass and was going to play it. That and the pathetic chorus of boo's. I would like to believe that was out of frustration of weeks of team :censored:e. Also 16 goals return this season is up there with the best we've had in years also.

That said it's not an endorsement he be here next season. I really don't believe his heart is at BP after that last game for one.

Think we should take up the option of the extra year personally. Too many people saying whats he done since November, and i throw back at you what has anyone done since before then?

We have been overly reliant on him and like it or not he is used to playing at a higher level and i think that explains his frustrations and at least he is honest in his summing up and knows he should have done better.

I just cant help think that without his 16 goals we would be in a lot worse place and there is hardly anyone knocking the door down to take over the burden of scoring, so unless we have a player lined up who will score the equivalent amount of goals or more, then he has to stay for me.

looks like the big man is off,

i'd like to say ive enjoyed watching him and i am glad we signed him, but if he does leave i wont be sorry to see him go, a season of 2 halves.

i'd like to say thanks to him but its time for a new fresh man up front

we dont need smith

we dont need brooke

we dont need reid

we dont need bunn - definately not

we dont need a stiker thats a nice guy, we need a tough nut that isnt afraid of putting it about

time to change

Well,yep,iv;e thought long and hard about it (2secs)and ive decided that seeing the back of shefti is no great loss,infact it wont be a loss at all.Its actually painful watching him,If he was my dog i'd have taken him to the VET by now.

Anyway,now my feelings about SK are off my chest..

The squad for next season.

Build the team around

cisak

diamond

tarkowski (maybe im still far from convinced about him)

lee

furman

morais

The rest,for me,can go.dickov needs to be VERY busy close season,he needs to offload a big chunk of that squad because to be brutally honest the vast majority of our squad is not good enough

whoever scouted the likes of bunn diallo tom adenmyi to name but 3 either needs to go to specsavers or find another job.

reid (if he can stay fit for long enough maybe worth keeping).

Well,yep,iv;e thought long and hard about it (2secs)and ive decided that seeing the back of shefti is no great loss,infact it wont be a loss at all.Its actually painful watching him,If he was my dog i'd have taken him to the VET by now.

Build the team around

cisak

diamond

lee

furman

morais

The rest,for me,can go.dickov needs to be VERY busy close season,he needs to offload a big chunk of that squad because to be brutally honest the vast majority of our squad is not good enough

whoever scouted the likes of bunn diallo tom adenmyi to name but 3 either needs to go to specsavers or find another job.

I was kind of agreeing with you, and then you went and spoilt it. Have you been at the cooking sherry?

Build the team around

cisak

diamond

lee

furman

morais

Good basis for a team apart from I would take Mvoto over Tarkowski all day.

Last season i thought Maxi Mvoto was awesome and if we only made one signing it had to be him,

This season he just hasnt performed to the standard he did the year before

very disappointing as he looked just average and often even looked a liability.

wouldnt be upset if he left and was replaced

he's now only average IMHO

Build the team around

cisak

diamond

lee

furman

morais

I agree with most of that but I'd add Mvoto to the list of players to build around. He's limited but just the type of player any team needs in their squad. Also while I would've kept Diamond a couple of months ago I think his frequent injuries make him too much of a risk for next year. A slightly worse player who plays more often (e.g. Clarke) would be preferable.

you really think we are paying kirk miller, mc grath and Bembo a minimum of 35k. can't believe that

Not a chance. I wouldn't imagine there is many on more than 52k a year. Mvoto, kuqi, taylor, diamond, Simpson, Lee and furman, no one else I wouldn't think. To even think diallo is on £500 a week is bonkers.