We have a smaller squad but better quality?

We have a smaller squad but better quality...and there are a couple of big signings still to come

I don't have LP, so can someone elaborate on what he's on about?

On the face of it it makes no sense at all

1) The only new signings have been untested kids

2) Every other confirmed player was with us last year

3) We have lost a lot of decent players

4) We need a lot more than two big signings to complete even a respectable squad

4) We need a lot more than two big signings to complete even a respectable squad

it is an odd thing to say.

lee, taylor, kuqi, morais...........quality there

It's a ridiculous thing to say, but what else could he come up with? "Yeah, we're light on numbers and experience and have lost some quality without replacements in yet."

Claiming he's low on quality is hardly the best way to instil confidence in the players left. I just hope the statement doesn't come back to bite him by the start of the season.

It's a ridiculous thing to say, but what else could he come up with? "Yeah, we're light on numbers and experience and have lost some quality without replacements in yet."

Claiming he's low on quality is hardly the best way to instil confidence in the players left. I just hope the statement doesn't come back to bite him by the start of the season.

He could try not treating us all like idiots. We are not fooled and neither are the players.

All this instills in my mind is that he is a little too happy with what we have and that he thinks we don't need many more signings to compensate for a blatant lack of personnel and quality. I don't see this raising the confidence of anyone.

no point in talkin a load of rubbish. if he can't come up with anythin legit to say then dont say it at all. i would have thought he'd go down the line of having young, keen, fit, and hungry players.

Given that he'll know which other new faces are about to come in, I expect that he was feeling quite optimistic when he saw the likes of Furman, Wesolowski & Simpson reporting for pre-season together with some of the younger players who now have another season under their belt.

Take a look at the team we put out at the start of last season and (providing we have an injury free pre-season) tell me that we won't be stronger this time around.

Take a look at the team we put out at the start of last season and (providing we have an injury free pre-season) tell me that we won't be stronger this time around.

Are you saying that with his comments Dickov is comparing THAT squad with one he saw in training today or is he comparing it to the one we had a few months in (ie with Simpson, Kuqi, Weslowski). Also bear in mind that Morais was suspended for that game.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Are you saying that with his comments Dickov is comparing THAT squad with one he saw in training today or is he comparing it to the one we had a few months in (ie with Simpson, Kuqi, Weslowski). Also bear in mind that Morais was suspended for that game.

I'm saying that with players still to come in, we already have a spine within the squad that points to us starting with a half decent team in August. The interview mentions other deals to be finished so what's to say that PD doesn't think that they will be even better than what we already have? Also, after Morais had served his suspension at the start of the season, he was poor.

Not sure the first interview in the middle of the first pre-season training session is one to start being so negative.

if over the next week or two we signed:

Doherty or another experienced centre back

Taiwo or Oakley or similar

Croft

Paul Hayes (just an example of an experienced striker available on a free)

and then Reece Brown plus a young prem striker/winger on loan at the start of the season I think we should be happy with that.

Winchester/Mellor going to have to cover RB/LB and Hughes/Millar as back up on the wings

What do people expect him to say? He is just spouting the usual propaganda. They are not going to generate confidence and support if they come out and say we are up :censored: creek and its going to be a miracle if we don't get relegated.

Remember it is not always aimed at adults either, when you are young you want to hear these things about how good your team and players are. I used to think we could do well every season!

I would read anything into what our manager or chairman says in public!

He could try not treating us all like idiots. We are not fooled and neither are the players.

All this instills in my mind is that he is a little too happy with what we have and that he thinks we don't need many more signings to compensate for a blatant lack of personnel and quality. I don't see this raising the confidence of anyone.

I think we might be underestimating the quality of the "kids" he's brought in - Grounds, Taylor, Brown.

We know nothing/little about them but Dickov does.

Add 2 or 3 from the more well known names being bandied about and I'll be very happy with the business he's done.

Edited by HarryBosch

I'm saying that with players still to come in, we already have a spine within the squad that points to us starting with a half decent team in August. The interview mentions other deals to be finished so what's to say that PD doesn't think that they will be even better than what we already have? Also, after Morais had served his suspension at the start of the season, he was poor.

Not sure the first interview in the middle of the first pre-season training session is one to start being so negative.

I haven't heard the interview. I am only responding to the quote he has been attributed with and the responses on here. Unless somebody can show me a context for this quote that makes sense then it appears that Dickov is talking nonsense. We, at the time of the article's release, did not have a higher quality squad than at our peak last season (since we had signed so few players and all of them unproven), yet Dickov appears to be saying that we do. Even the subsequent Jonathan Grounds signing doesn't change things that much.

Please someone explain to me how my comment is incorrect or tell me if Dickov explains himself better in the full interview.

I happen to think Dickov is a good manager. I just think he talks bollocks sometimes too. I will favour realism and honesty over sugar coated self deception every time.

Jeez.

Manager in trying to put a positive spin on the 1st day of pre-season & signings so far shocker eh?

I mean - what do people expect him to come out and say?

In actual fact, as Twis and a few others have said - if we were to put a best X1 out tomorrow for a game; IMO it would already be better than the side that went out 1st game of the last season; and the first away of last season at Yeovil.

Cisak, M'Voto, Furman, Wes, Simpson right down the spine - with potential gems at full-backs and upfront. More scope for further signings and, so far, not a whiff of Matty Lund anywhere near the side - I'd say things are looking pretty positive. Glass half full and all that........

In actual fact, as Twis and a few others have said - if we were to put a best X1 out tomorrow for a game; IMO it would already be better than the side that went out 1st game of the last season; and the first away of last season at Yeovil.

Not one person has said anything contrary to this, so I really don't know why people are trying to hammer this point home.

if we can add another CB, 1 LW, 1 RW and another ST or 2 we will have a decent squad.

I think IF some of the names that have been banded about come off we will have a VERY decent little quad and have good bang for our buck.

I think a lot on here underestimate the calibre of player available and whom with PD's sales technique and genuine honesty, that we can go after and attract.

There are LOADS of players out of work and some very respectable ones at that. Add to that a couple of decent loans and given how open the league is this year IF we keep everyone fit for the most part, we could be onto a winner.

The biggest test will come when the loan system is eventually binned in 2014? - then we will be up :censored: creek; although in saying that it will be the same for everyone else.

We will get who we can/do get and that is that,

PD is damned if he does sign someone because it turns out that 'he's :censored:' and damned if he doesn't sign someone because we simply can't.

PD is in control of who he signs and on his heas be it - i happen to think he is a very astute guy and is not daft in the slightest and has a pretty good eye for players - he has also proved he will rectify it if he realises he has made a mistake signing ala Feeney, Parker.

ALL managers make :censored:e signings even Fergie with Taibi, Bebe via a DVD for £7m! Veron and Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, A Smith etc etc

CUT PD some slack - whoever we sign we are gonna have to like it or lump it - PD thinks whoever he signs is good enough so that's that.

KTF and lets be positive instead if this 'urrgh he's :censored:' 'not sure about him', ':censored: for them so :censored: for us' 'young kid gonna be crap'

P.S Mchangama was at training wearing a wooly hat on the LP footage, so he may be another battler in the middle

Edited by shefflatic

I'll stand to be corrected here, but I'm pretty sure that PD said in his interview, "We've got some quality now (referring to the likes of Cisak, Furball, Wes & Simmo) and we want to add some quality." Before that, he did say something about the squad being small at the moment. So I don't believe he actually said that it was a smaller squad with better quality.

He also said there would be another new signing either today or by training tomorrow, so I guess it's tomorrow. Time to wear the F5 out again.

When he was asked about Kuqi, PD said that SK hadn't responded by the deadline, and something along the lines of the budget was being used elsewhere, so we can't afford him now. Flip Flap Fil simply refused the terms offered.

Maybe SK needs to be removed from the banner down there \|/ now

Edited by Bristolatic

Although it is quoted below the video on LP. At no point in the LP interview does PD say anything like the attributed quote.

He does say in answer to Gordy's question "Is that the end of the signings"(Grounds) No, no we are light on numbers, we've got 1 more coming in today or before training tomorrow and a few more in the pipeline.

He goes on to say. We want to hit the ground running next season. He's very pleased with the fitness that the boys have returned to training with.

That he's pleased we've managed to keep quality in the squad and add to it and that we've got a few more coming in. Just because we've got a smaller budget doesn't mean we can't do well next year. We are looking at some very good players at the minute that will compliment the ones we've got. goes on to talk about the strong spine of the team .....

That's pretty much it.