New Signing - Jordan Slew

For starters - I completely agree with what you've said.

To answer your question, though: I was not expecting another name like Kuqi. That was a coup. However, I was expecting a player with some experience. We have three strikers who are all learning. Yeovil were able to sign James Hayter - he's nothing incredible, but at 33 he would have been fairly cheap. The one benefit we do have in Slew - supposedly - is his pace. It's different and something we haven't really had for a while.

All I wanted was a little gametime in what is a position that has proved our Achilles heel (well, one of).

But as I've said, he'll certainly get a chance from me. I don't believe in taking a view on a player, especially a player none of us are knowledgeable about, before he's donned the shirt.

+1

Personally I just wanted someone with abit of experience at this level. Off the top of my head someone like David Nardiello? wasnt he on a free and went to League 2 Exeter? Might be wrong there. He was pretty pacy, useful and scored afew goals. Surely someone like that wouldn't have been too expensive. I'll be hoping whoever plays rips up the league and scores a sackful. But at the end of the day everyone will have a gut reaction to a signing, we arent robots wether thats right or wrong time will tell.

Cant wait till Monday! Even with all the sport this summer the new season seems to have taken an age to come round.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Personally I just wanted someone with abit of experience at this level. Off the top of my head someone like David Nardiello? wasnt he on a free and went to League 2 Exeter? Might be wrong there. He was pretty pacy, useful and scored afew goals. Surely someone like that wouldn't have been too expensive. I'll be hoping whoever plays rips up the league and scores a sackful. But at the end of the day everyone will have a gut reaction to a signing, we arent robots wether thats right or wrong time will tell.

Cant wait till Monday! Even with all the sport this summer the new season seems to have taken an age to come round.

what..........like Omerod, Ricketts, Kabba maybe? experience doesn't always mean it will work out.

i don't think Naridello was the answer either.

As I say, I wasn't taking a pop so hopefully you haven't taken it that way?

Hayter is a decent example actually, but with the experience, on our budget, comes the age. hayter is 33, Jamie Cuertan (spl i know!) is another poacher with experience & he's 36.

I know what you're getting at with the fact that 3 of 4 are raw & young - but IMO i'd prefer that to a striker who's mind might be still sharp but his body is not.

As for the bolded bit - great; you're like me. Plenty aren't though unfortunately

Not at all. I more or less agree with you. I understand that we can't pay what Charlton are asking for Leon Clarke. I wonder how many clubs have taken a look at Stuart Beavon, who's record with Wycombe before last year was poor, but had a blistering season last year. Sadly, as soon as a player hits 15-20 clubs demand £200,000 and we're instantly forced out.

As MaskedOwl has said, we have signed experienced strikers in the past and they weren't the answer - even Kuqi. But Kuqi is an example that Dickov can bring surprising players to the club.

what..........like Omerod, Ricketts, Kabba maybe? experience doesn't always mean it will work out.

i don't think Naridello was the answer either.

I think people are getting confused with age and experience. You dont have to be at the end of your career to have experience at league one level, sure we have had really experienced players and it hasnt worked out. But thats over simplifying it abit. People like Omerod were coming back from injury and were getting on and at the end of the day regardless of age some players are good and some are crap :P My point is with us its always extremes, its either kids or old men. Sure finance dictates getting players in their prime but the rest of the team isnt full of kids why do our strikers have to be any different?

Edited by Worksop_Blue

So does/did Cureton

Slightly O/T but from what I saw of Exeter 2 seasons ago and last season when on loan, Cureton still hasn't lost his legs yet so if anyone is looking for a top goalscorer bet then you should be able to get decent odds. The Orient spell didn't work for him but he'll do well in Exeter's setup.

+1

Daniel Nardiello has now been signed by rotherham.

Experience and "fox in the box" players might not have worked for us, you never know. Realistically we are going to try and play in a style that cries out for pace and power through the middle - hence why Tonks was such a success when he first arrived. Getting Hayter or Cureton wouldn't have necessarily worked for the team.

Hopefully we'll have a Defoe experience with Slew?

Edited by De_La_Vega