New Signing - Jordan Slew

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people keep talking about this out and out striker who is experienced and will bag 20+ goals a season. they need to wake up.

however, i do believe you can succeed by playing forwards who aren't out and out strikers up front. i read a book on this which i fail to remember the title of. arsenal have done it with the likes of Henry and RVP...converted wide players to strikers. i don't like compating prem players but it's the same principle.

i think Simpson can be our 20+ goal striker with midfield chippin in. not sure about Slew but pleased to have some pace in the team.

Will we be the only league 1 club able to field a 19 and under team from our our squad of 21 players? Anyone that age who has proven talent would not be within our means. This team will be blown away if a few players suffer long term injuries. Would you bet your house on Simpson remaining fit? God help us!

people keep talking about this out and out striker who is experienced and will bag 20+ goals a season. they need to wake up.

however, i do believe you can succeed by playing forwards who aren't out and out strikers up front. i read a book on this which i fail to remember the title of. arsenal have done it with the likes of Henry and RVP...converted wide players to strikers. i don't like compating prem players but it's the same principle.

i think Simpson can be our 20+ goal striker with midfield chippin in. not sure about Slew but pleased to have some pace in the team.

Happy have a player that will bag us 15 goals or double figures atleast.

Looking at Blackburn's site (Oh the relief to see that old familiar format. How I miss it) Jordan has played in 3 of their reserve teams friendlies, in the 3rd it looks like he played the full 90. From the reports he has SCORED a GOAL "Jordan Slew danced his way in and shot inside the post." against...Curzon Ashton.

Speed, height, nimble feet and goals!

So he's had a useful pre-season and should be raring to go!

is this our final striker buy then or do you think we'll bring another ?

Maybe after 6 months, if he's good they will probably want him back, if he's no good we will probably send him back.

That's the problem with short term loanees.

Edited by BP1960

Maybe ater 6 months, if he's good they will probably want him back, if he's no good we will probably send him back.

That's the problem with short term loanees.

Apparently, Blackburn have transfer listed him, we are the shop window.

I'll admit he isn't the player I would have wanted, but he's here now. We've seen Tom Eaves, but the majority of us don't really know Slew. Obviously, he's entitled to his chance and he'll get one. However, I must admit I don't like what is becoming a habit with a lot of supporters: within two minutes some were questioning his attitude. Some did the same with Connor Brown when the news of his signing broke.

Has he had a pre-season? Is he fit? And why, if he has been our number one target this summer, has he only been given a six-month loan? It could be another example of Corney's applaudable shrewdness. Should it not quite work out then we do have that option of sending him back to Blackburn - but isn't a six-month loan contract deemed to be a long-term deal, thus effecting any future business we do in January should we need to look at the loan market again?

All we can say right now is good luck and hopefully he is a success.

Can I just ask (& don’t take this as a pop) but - just who were you expecting?

It would have to be another masterstroke for PD & the club to pull-off the signing of a 'name' striker a la Kuqi* - and the cold, hard reality is that a loan move a young lad was always the likely move - Corney and Dickov both said as much so it really shouldn't be a surprise?

The deal suits I'd say. 6 months. If he's a success, we like him & he likes it here, we might be able to extent (there might be that agreement in place already?) If it doesn't work, he can go back and we can move on, and look to bring in A N Other during the Jan window - be that another loan or a free transfer.

His pace should be a big asset for us, it really should. We haven't had it since Parker's J & K - and neither of them really worked out did they? I hope this lad does.

As MaskedOwl says - his sheer pace should open up the pitch for us, running the channels and latching onto through balls. CB's will be bricking going up against that kind of acceleration. If we use him right, I think this will be a positive move for us.

Can I ask a favour though? Can we give the lad a feckin' chance? Time to bed in and settle, before the 'Jordan Poo' stuff comes out and he's yet another boo-boy? I doubt he'll bang in a Frankie Bunn equalling 5 goals next Monday; but when he doesn't -- it doesn't make him toss / waste of loan / worst striker since Ricketts / the devil-incarnated (use as applicable).

So - as things stand, we're looking at Simpson in the #10 role with Slew ahead of him - Dan Taylor & Matt Smith on the bench ready as / when needed. Not bad I'd say. I mean, come on, be honest; we've had far; far worse over the years. Can we try and be a bit positive about this move - I mean he did go to Blackburn for a cool £1million; hardly a free signing from non-league is he?

Welcome to BP Jordan - good luck!

.* and being honest, Kuqi had a cracking purple patch and was then utter toss for the large remainder of the season - so a name doesn't = success does it?

I think its frustration on some fans part Sly, many are looking for an established goal poacher and the fact is Latics can't afford such a player.

Slew could be anything, we will have to wait and see.

Edited by BP1960

Can I just ask (& don’t take this as a pop) but - just who were you expecting?

It would have to be another masterstroke for PD & the club to pull-off the signing of a 'name' striker a la Kuqi* - and the cold, hard reality is that a loan move a young lad was always the likely move - Corney and Dickov both said as much so it really shouldn't be a surprise?

The deal suits I'd say. 6 months. If he's a success, we like him & he likes it here, we might be able to extent (there might be that agreement in place already?) If it doesn't work, he can go back and we can move on, and look to bring in A N Other during the Jan window - be that another loan or a free transfer.

His pace should be a big asset for us, it really should. We haven't had it since Parker's J & K - and neither of them really worked out did they? I hope this lad does.

As MaskedOwl says - his sheer pace should open up the pitch for us, running the channels and latching onto through balls. CB's will be bricking going up against that kind of acceleration. If we use him right, I think this will be a positive move for us.

Can I ask a favour though? Can we give the lad a feckin' chance? Time to bed in and settle, before the 'Jordan Poo' stuff comes out and he's yet another boo-boy? I doubt he'll bang in a Frankie Bunn equalling 5 goals next Monday; but when he doesn't -- it doesn't make him toss / waste of loan / worst striker since Ricketts / the devil-incarnated (use as applicable).

So - as things stand, we're looking at Simpson in the #10 role with Slew ahead of him - Dan Taylor & Matt Smith on the bench ready as / when needed. Not bad I'd say. I mean, come on, be honest; we've had far; far worse over the years. Can we try and be a bit positive about this move - I mean he did go to Blackburn for a cool £1million; hardly a free signing from non-league is he?

Welcome to BP Jordan - good luck!

.* and being honest, Kuqi had a cracking purple patch and was then utter toss for the large remainder of the season - so a name doesn't = success does it?

For starters - I completely agree with what you've said.

To answer your question, though: I was not expecting another name like Kuqi. That was a coup. However, I was expecting a player with some experience. We have three strikers who are all learning. Yeovil were able to sign James Hayter - he's nothing incredible, but at 33 he would have been fairly cheap. The one benefit we do have in Slew - supposedly - is his pace. It's different and something we haven't really had for a while.

All I wanted was a little gametime in what is a position that has proved our Achilles heel (well, one of).

But as I've said, he'll certainly get a chance from me. I don't believe in taking a view on a player, especially a player none of us are knowledgeable about, before he's donned the shirt.

Let's just see what he can do before slagging him off.

I don't know who some of you guys were expecting but a team like us (with a very low budget) have to do the best we can and can't afford to bring in top notch players. He will more than likely take a few matches to get to his best or whatever but even then people will get on his back. I'm looking forward to see him play.

For starters - I completely agree with what you've said.

To answer your question, though: I was not expecting another name like Kuqi. That was a coup. However, I was expecting a player with some experience. We have three strikers who are all learning. Yeovil were able to sign James Hayter - he's nothing incredible, but at 33 he would have been fairly cheap. The one benefit we do have in Slew - supposedly - is his pace. It's different and something we haven't really had for a while.

All I wanted was a little gametime in what is a position that has proved our Achilles heel (well, one of).

But as I've said, he'll certainly get a chance from me. I don't believe in taking a view on a player, especially a player none of us are knowledgeable about, before he's donned the shirt.

As I say, I wasn't taking a pop so hopefully you haven't taken it that way?

Hayter is a decent example actually, but with the experience, on our budget, comes the age. hayter is 33, Jamie Cuertan (spl i know!) is another poacher with experience & he's 36.

I know what you're getting at with the fact that 3 of 4 are raw & young - but IMO i'd prefer that to a striker who's mind might be still sharp but his body is not.

As for the bolded bit - great; you're like me. Plenty aren't though unfortunately

Edited by slystallone