Goals for

Last season three teams scored fewer goals than Latics - two were relegated. I'm confident the defence can do no worse than last season so 66 or less against.

The likely team, based on the Huddersfield game, gives us (on the assumption they stay fit and play every game and based on past performance):

Cisak - none, M'voto - 1, Tarkowski - 3, Grounds - 2, Byrne - 2, Wesolowski - 6, Furman - 3, Croft - 7, Simpson - 12. A total of 36.

Assuming we are still looking for a first pick striker and a first pick winger, the Slew signing just confuses me, they have to chip in at least 14 goals to get us to last years total of 50.

Does this make sense?

Too random and assumptive!!

Different team, different style of play / game plan, different opposition, different season.......and on and on and on!!

If we had a striker who scored forty goals for a different club in our division, do we then assume he'd score forty for us if we sign him??

If those efforts that hit the woodwork or narrowly missed last season were now on target........and on and on and on...............

I can see a lot more goals coming from corners and set pieces this season, with the combination of more height and better delivery within the team. We have already shown pre-season that we look far more dangerous in this area, than previous seasons.

Also I see Simpson playing a more central forward position something PD seems to be encouraging.

Last season three teams scored fewer goals than Latics - two were relegated. I'm confident the defence can do no worse than last season so 66 or less against.

The likely team, based on the Huddersfield game, gives us (on the assumption they stay fit and play every game and based on past performance):

Cisak - none, M'voto - 1, Tarkowski - 3, Grounds - 2, Byrne - 2, Wesolowski - 6, Furman - 3, Croft - 7, Simpson - 12. A total of 36.

Assuming we are still looking for a first pick striker and a first pick winger, the Slew signing just confuses me, they have to chip in at least 14 goals to get us to last years total of 50.

Does this make sense?

Have you been watching Moneyball?

Just how can you even start to try to predict who will score how many goals over the course of a season that hasn't started yet?

How has the OP come to the conclusion that Cliff Byrne will score 2, and Wes will double what Furman gets? You just can't....

I see the goals being spread around more than last season, and the season before that. That's based on quotes from out of the mouth of PD himself, and from looking at how pre-season has gone so far. But - I would have no idea in trying to quantify who will get how many - just that I dont see us being quite so dependant on 1 player for goals this time around.

I am 99% confident that if Simpson stays fit he will get us 20+ this season, that's if we play to his strengths and not stick him on the bloody wing again. I think that scoring will not be the problem, I hope we can play a lot more solidly than last season and not give away so many silly goals.

The best evidence is past performance with a bias to the last two seasons. Individually this is unlikely to be accurate but over the 9 players I picked it is reasonable to assume that it gives a good estimate of the likely outcome of the group. A group of players is unlikely to all perform better than they have in the past which with the current squad is what we need. Spreading the goals around the team is unlikely if we continue to hit the ball long to Simpson!

I hope the million pound 10 minute wonder can perform miracles but any 19 year old will lack experience, stamina and strength and take a battering in this league.

Simpson has never scored 12 goals in a season. I’m being optimistic!

My feeling is that we will have to defend better if we are to do well and that means keeping our shape and not charging forward with reckless abandon as we did many times last season.

I’m always optimistic but I’m still looking for two more players that we patently can’t afford.

while i get what the OP is trying to say it is hard to predict, there is probably going to be at least 10 - 15 more goals from the squad players/loan players/future transfers to add on to the total.

He was working on the basis of the 11 playing all of the games, so I wouldn't bank on that. It's C Taylor's goals that we need to replace as much as Kuqi's if you look over the last few seasons. I do fancy Simpson to get well into double figures if fit.