what do you make of this?

http://p.twimg.com/A0mVE13CEAEO2yQ.jpg:large

offside? not offside? obviously the ball hits lewington and bounces into the path of simpson, but is simpson in an offside position when the ball is played?

for me its much closer on that pic than what it seemed in real time, but i still think the goal should have stood.

Crazy to try to say from that angle. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the guy who is literally paid to be able to see close offsides, and who was in the best position in the entire stadium to see it from was probably right ;-)

Anyone can make mistakes but you're probably right.

Crazy to try to say from that angle. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the guy who is literally paid to be able to see close offsides, and who was in the best position in the entire stadium to see it from was probably right ;-)

Stop being so bloody reasonable.

If I want to clutch at straws on a ship that's already sailed I will!

Looks well off. Lewingtons right foot is practically on the line and given Simmo is about two yards beyond the line he's off - unless Lewingtons some sort of freak - actually scrub that he is.

Yea but his left foot is behind Simpson. Does the whole body need to be behind the attacker to play him onside?

SC would give his right arm for 7,409 in on Saturday.

Looks offside to me.

1) There is no way there were 7,409 in that ground yesterday. I'd be surprised if there were 5,500. We should add our nn attending season ticket holders on to our attndeances. Would add upto 500 a game. Huddersfield did it a couple of years ago and at times it added something like 2,000 on to the actual figure.

2) Called the offside straightaway yesterday simply because of the keepers position. The only question is did the ball go sideways or backwards. If it did then the goal should have stood. From behind the goal my initial take was that it went forward. Will be interesting to see the highlights on player later this afternoon.

1) There is no way there were 7,409 in that ground yesterday. I'd be surprised if there were 5,500. We should add our nn attending season ticket holders on to our attndeances. Would add upto 500 a game. Huddersfield did it a couple of years ago and at times it added something like 2,000 on to the actual figure.

2) Called the offside straightaway yesterday simply because of the keepers position. The only question is did the ball go sideways or backwards. If it did then the goal should have stood. From behind the goal my initial take was that it went forward. Will be interesting to see the highlights on player later this afternoon.

Direction of the ball is Irrelevent, only the position of the receiving player in relation to it when kicked.

Direction of the ball is Irrelevent, only the position of the receiving player in relation to it when kicked.

The ball has to move forwards for it to be offside.

Or does it? I think the player has to be in front of the ball at the time it's played. Trying to get my head round whether it means the same thing.

Edited by opinions4u

Sorry your wrong. The ball has to be played in a forward direction for a player to be offside. If a player stretches or moves back from an offside position to get a ball that is played sideways or backwards then he is deemed to be onside.