He's had no money, but was given money only last week to spend a fee on Montano. Last summer, he spent a fee on Cisak, and last season it was well publicised by both our owner, and Dickov, that our budget was nowhere near as bad as people initially thought.

He's not took us down? I should frigging well hope not too! We shouldn't be looking anywhere near the relegation spots! Two managers you have criticised, Talbot and Penney, also didn't take us down! (Although I'll give you that, if Talbot had stayed in 05, we may well have dropped)!

As for learning from his mistakes, couldn't disagree more : in the last two seasons along, his insistence on playing Tounkara and then Kuqi suggest he didn't learn from his mistakes. We conceded on Saturday and what did he do? He sat down with his arms folded.

As for playing Hughes tonight, I hope he does, but going off his comments in the paper ('we don't want to give Connor too much, too soon'), I would be very surprised.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dowie had money to burn, can't really compare the two.

To begin with he did, then when the :censored: hit the fan finacially in October 2002 he created a seige mentality that money simply could not buy. Even when everything imploded in May 2003 he brought everyone together in a way we can only dream about now. It only unravelled once we found out what a two faced so and so he was. But even with his team of crocks, one legged pensioners and untried kids we went on a decent run 10 match unbeaten run.

As for Dickov, he continues to talk a good game, whether he can walk the walk is a different matter. I've yet to be convinced he can effectively change the outcome of a game tactically and his body language at conceding game deciding goals over the last two outings is baffling, sitting down and folding your arms when your team goes 3-2 down after leading 2-0 and when MK went 2 up he did the same. He worries me at the moment. As have the two identically poor runs from February onwards over the last two years. Two important games this week as September at least on paper looks to be difficult. Like last season, the sooner we have points on the board the better. Like the last two seasons we have the players to compete mostly, have we the right manager to get the most out of the talent we have? We'll find out for definite I think this year, third year in and there's no excuses imo.

Edited by oafcprozac

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dickov's :censored:. I don't think he is but he's yet to convince me he's any better than average.

Flirting with Wembley in the Paint Pot trophy; I'm not that impressed, especially as we didn't get there. We got to the third round of the cup by knocking out two League Two sides - not an enormous achievement. I agree, though, he's made some decent signings but they haven't really pushed the club forward.

I'll take the small gains approach, definitely, but I don't see those gains yet - we're in pretty much the same state we were when Dickov arrived. What I'm hoping is that, by sticking with Dickov, we'll begin to progress.

THIS !!!!!!

He's had no money, but was given money only last week to spend a fee on Montano. Last summer, he spent a fee on Cisak, and last season it was well publicised by both our owner, and Dickov, that our budget was nowhere near as bad as people initially thought.

He's not took us down? I should frigging well hope not too! We shouldn't be looking anywhere near the relegation spots! Two managers you have criticised, Talbot and Penney, also didn't take us down! (Although I'll give you that, if Talbot had stayed in 05, we may well have dropped)!

As for learning from his mistakes, couldn't disagree more : in the last two seasons along, his insistence on playing Tounkara and then Kuqi suggest he didn't learn from his mistakes. We conceded on Saturday and what did he do? He sat down with his arms folded.

As for playing Hughes tonight, I hope he does, but going off his comments in the paper ('we don't want to give Connor too much, too soon'), I would be very surprised.

Fairy muff. His learning from mistakes could be better, but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd be stubborn for no reason. Let's see who plays left wing tonight.

It's just more positive with Dickov than it was under Penney and Talbot and Ronnie Moore. Except on...this forum.

Come on 24 if the football was wonderful, the pies would be :censored:, if the pies are great there's a hole in the stand roof, if the new stand gets built, the stewards are crap, if the stewards are great the pitch is crap….and so on. It's the way forums work…...

Come on 24 if the football was wonderful, the pies would be :censored:, if the pies are great there's a hole in the stand roof, if the new stand gets built, the stewards are crap, if the stewards are great the pitch is crap….and so on. It's the way forums work…...

...and fans. I remember when they did the new conservatory foyer. The fanzine was full of stuff like, "Thanks Alan Hardy. That'll help the true fans on a cold winter's night in the Chaddy," as if Hardy had a straight choice between heated seats in the Chaddy and a new foyer for the sole benefit of the directors and officials.

There seems to be more opinions on here pro rather than anti Dickov and that there is a limited acceptance of his abilities. Would his standing improve if we got an experienced nr. 2 in as opposed to Taggart? Someone Along the lines of John Gorman ...late of MK!!!

...and fans. I remember when they did the new conservatory foyer. The fanzine was full of stuff like, "Thanks Alan Hardy. That'll help the true fans on a cold winter's night in the Chaddy," as if Hardy had a straight choice between heated seats in the Chaddy and a new foyer for the sole benefit of the directors and officials.

Except that was when the executive boxes were between the main stand paddock and the main stand as opposed to the corner flags and the Chaddy was standing.

I'm not saying the fanzines didn't moan about how the club spent money on stuff the posh fans would benefit from as opposed to regular ones.

His standing would improve if performances and league positions improved.

Hiring a different number two would only improve his own standing if that definitely contributed to such an improvement. Which would be very hard to prove.

But how do we improve performances? Taggart looks to be a regular in the chippy instead of organising the defence and offers nothing from the touchline to either Dickov or to the players.

Gorman, over the past couple of seasons, was constantly in Robinson's ear to offer advice hence my question.

But how do we improve performances? Taggart looks to be a regular in the chippy instead of organising the defence and offers nothing from the touchline to either Dickov or to the players.

Gorman, over the past couple of seasons, was constantly in Robinson's ear to offer advice hence my question.

No idea mate. But I'm not sure swapping assistant managers will bring a massive improvement (would a different assistant have changed Dickov's mind about playing Tounkara and Kuqi even when they were off-form?). I think we need Dickov to learn himself about having a Plan B, knowing when to rest and when to change things, etc.

Fairy muff. His learning from mistakes could be better, but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd be stubborn for no reason. Let's see who plays left wing tonight.

It's just more positive with Dickov than it was under Penney and Talbot and Ronnie Moore. Except on...this forum.

Mantono,… team's unchanged. Dickov is a creature of habit, young Connor could do more. Hopefully PD's stubborness will pay off...

https://twitter.com/Matt_chambers_/status/237972080212209664/photo/1/large

Edited by oafcprozac

The whole 'sitting down, arms crossed' things baffles me. So what? If jumping around gesticulating won't work then why do it? How he conducts himself on the sidelines makes no difference to whether Smith misses a sitter from two yards or a defender doesn't stay with their man from the set piece.

Reminds me of when someone came on here in DP's latter days saying they had seen him smiling. Smiling! The bastard.