Reflections of a "happy clapper"

Not very happy at present, and the clapping yesterday was less frequent than on other occasions.

It's been quite a while since I've travelled to BP with a sense of excitement or even anticipation of certain success. The comforting sense that "we're at home" and a victory is imminent just isn't there. Walking out of the ground with Milnrow Latics he said "the good news is I'll be home in ten minutes" - ninety minutes or more for me to try and block out another disappointing match.

It's been a long time since my first match, back in 1960, losing to Millwall and being bottom of the Football League. Maybe that's why I have a different perspective to some others on here. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and to voice it but I don't understand some of the apparent desire to criticise every aspect of the club , or that's how it seems at present.

I'm not complacent, though I do know we've been in worse positions, both playing wise and financially. Even the youngsters on here must remember we were within hours of going bust just a few years ago, and times were dire in the late 50s. We have been in the bottom division. Time gives perspective that's all.

I'm optimistic about the new stand. The demolition of the Lookers was, at the time, a reasonable decision. Costing money and there was the likelihood of something new being built quickly. We got shafted by the council and the property collapse and, in hindsight, the three sided ground we have has led to lack of motivation off the pitch, a soulless experience, and probably not done much for the players. It's credit to directors and managers that we've been able to attract some players to what is a pretty run down environment.

I've still got hopes for this season too. Some of the players we have are good - and have more to give than they've shown so far this year. e.g. Croft, Simpson, and Furman. Mvoto has been excellent so far. Cisak is a good keeper, Byrne has proved his quality in this division. I've liked Montano (who didn't have a pre-season training), don't know enough about Slew but am reserving judgement , the same with Dan Taylor. Bouzanis is a good back up keeper.

I can't prove that Dickov will get it right. I do believe that he's got the desire to do so. I certainly think it would be stupid to get rid now.

Did I drive home last night happy ? No. Did I wake up this morning happy about Latics? No.

But it's still my club, still something I will defend, still a club I will actively support. I really don't understand the rationale about jumping on here and criticising every little thing that you don't like. Negativity breed negativity. Things are far from rosy but it's when times are tough that support is needed. Well done to Playershare, to Latics for Life, that's support. Well done to the faithful who turn up because they want Latics to continue .

I'm as disappointed as anyone about the start to the season, but I've seen Latics from the bottom of the league to the top half of the top flight, from losing to non-league teams to getting to a Wembley final. And I'm privileged to have been part of the roller coaster of the last 52 years. If I could turn back time would I have supported another club.? Not a chance.

Edited by LaticsPete

here here!

I'm 23 and aside from the VHS re-runs known nothing but 2 play-off defeats, a few cup shocks and almost getting to wembley in a final in my time watching since about the age of 7.

I admit i'm not as attached to the same level as i used to be, purely because we have that much of a churning over of players its very hard to do so.

But it's still my club - i have had an ST for the past 2 years - i haven't once thought about not renewing - even if in future seasons it isn't justified in terms of games attended, its money for the club and me doing my bit.

I watch and support us in the hope that one day a posiitve mentality can prevail as shown by Scunthorpe and Colchester reently and that a small club with committed players can come together and get the club some success.

if the new stand pays off, it could generate the £50k needed for that playmaker or striker

Just like the players need to start doing, we all need PMA - Positive Mental Attitude.

Sure, care and have a moan and a justifiable one at that - but when you watch the news and see sports people with no legs and who get on with their life like nothong has ever happened, it pust it all in focus - it's only football and we think we have it bad; just look at what they've had to go through in their lives.

Puts the fact that PD selected the wrong team as being immaterial.

Did you all not get the memo that was the worse game EVER?

Fully agree it was shocking particularly first half - positive in the second in that he spotted his first choice back 4 that should have been there from the start of the season and put a presence up top in Smith, regardless of how bad/good he is.

But you know what - what do you want me and anyone else who rightly has a moan and states harsh cold facts about the situation, to do about it?

We can't, only PD, the players and/or Corney can.

If PD goes (not that it isn't technially justifiable on his record in the past 20 games) i'd see that as Corney off as soon as he could - don't think he has the stomach for the same churning out process we have gone through in the past 5 years.

I'm a massive fan of PD and would mark it as one of the saddest days of recent times if he walks out of our door being given the boot as opposed to moving onto another club in that he is a genuine top bloke who HAS brought together a decent set of 12-14 players.

The SHOULD be playing and functioning better as a unit as individually they have the ability, why is obviously up for debate.

what will be will be, but personally i'm just sick of the churning process - if it meant us staying up then yes reluctantly tell him to oil the hinges on his way out; but at what point do we sit tight and back a manager to get through rough times and turn it into promising times eventually??

You know what Pete I don't always agree with you and sometimes think you are positive to the point of questioning whether you take happy pills or not! However perhaps you do calm down with age and take a more reasoned approach. This is the beginning of my 27th season I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to Latics but that is a superb, well thought out balanced post!

The one constant is no matter how poor we are the previous week some of us will still be there the week after. I'm not particularly looking forward to Pompey next week but I'll be there in the belief that sooner or later the worm has to turn and after brown and smith were introduced we looked a better side yesterday. Little Acorns and all that...

And whilst I'm far from convinced by Dickov since about March tbh at the moment he's what we've got and we have to give him the time to try and change this around. However, I think the constructive criticism of him is justified.

As for people stating that's the worst performance ever? Bloody hell I can think of about 30 even worse than yesterday... Some don't know they're born...

-

You know what Pete I don't always agree with you and sometimes think you are positive to the point of questioning whether you take happy pills or not! However perhaps you do calm down with age and take a more reasoned approach. This is the beginning of my 27th season I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to Latics but that is a superb, well thought out balanced post!

The one constant is no matter how poor we are the previous week some of us will still be there the week after. I'm not particularly looking forward to Pompey next week but I'll be there in the belief that sooner or later the worm has to turn and after brown and smith were introduced we looked a better side yesterday. Little Acorns and all that...

And whilst I'm far from convinced by Dickov since about March tbh at the moment he's what we've got and we have to give him the time to try and change this around. However, I think the constructive criticism of him is justified.

As for people stating that's the worst performance ever? Bloody hell I can think of about 30 even worse than yesterday... Some don't know they're born...

-

Thing is knowing Oldham like with Sheff United last season and like Leeds and Forest a few seasons ago on the back of a bad result will go and beat Portsmouth now Just typical Oldham.

Edited by oafctom

People were on his back straight away yesterday, but the choice of formation was woeful against a rubbish side. PD can turn it around but he should risk more at home and get players in the oppositions box.

And crosses. Our best chance yesterday (when Simpson was pulled down in the box) came when Grounds just decided to put it in the mixer.

The pretty football is fine, but there's a little bit too much of it.

Edited by JoeP

Excellent post, Pete, and sums everything about being a life-time Latics fan. I've not been able to get to a game yet this season; Pompey will be the first, so I have to go on match reports, LP commentaries and posts on here about how the team/PD/SC et al are doing. I'll never deny that being a Latics supporter is bloody hard work. Trust me, I know. I've been doing it since I was a snotty nosed little 5 year old and I'm nearly 68 now.

But the thing is, no matter how bad you may think we are now, I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as when we propped up the old 3rd Div North and then the 4th Div, hoping to Christ we'd get re-elected and not end up as another Workington or Gateshead. But we still kept turning up, week in, week out. That's not to say we should be happy with our present lot, but let's put it in perspective.

PD is a new, young manager, still learning his trade. TBH I don't think a manager ever stops learning. He's made mistakes, plenty of them, but he has that happy knack of bringing players in that could have gone to bigger or better clubs. Kuqi, Grounds, Byrne, Croft etc. He's also seen the dross that he inherited or brought in himself and got rid. Feeney, Marsh-Brown, Reid for example. For whatever reason, they didn't work here, so replacements had to be brought in.

What doesn't help is the negativity that seems to abound within the home support. Shout your opinions by all means, but slagging players off for every mistake does nothing but drain confidence. Examples? How about the stick that Eardley got? Not done too bad for himself. Brill? OK, he wasn't the top keeper we thought he'd be, but I was next to a right bell-end at Bristol Rovers giving him dog's abuse during the pre-match warm up. Reid? Again, he didn't produce what we thought he would, but I had the misfortune to be sat near another numpty screaming abuse incessantly at him for 90 minutes at Colchester even when he didn't have the ball.

Listen to LP and you'll hear the main stand moaners giving it rock-all for every mistake. Example? Yesterday, one loud mouthed cretin calling Furball a ":censored:in' knob head" when, going off commentary, he wasn't even near the ball as his name hadn't been mentioned for a while and we were attacking.

Look at the Rarely Wrong comments from the perennial knife twisters. Never a word from them (3 in particular) when things are going well, just constant sarcastic criticism and complaints when we don't do well. Example? They've been screaming for BP to be a 4 sided ground again but, now the plans are in and it all looks like going ahead, there's comments like "It'll never get built anyway" and "We don't need it, the crowds aren't big enough". Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

By the middle of last season there were calls for PD's head after the New Year slump. The same is happening again after 3 League games. 3 ffs! I know the same old problems seem to be cropping up - not scoring enough, sloppy defending and so on. But it's nowt new, folks. Been going on for years. Changing managers hasn't altered anything much; we've been in this Godforsaken division for 16 years, so I reckon it's about time we gave PD a bit of slack and give him time to gel this team together.

Even if results and performances don't back this up, I think we may have the best squad that PD has put together. For some reason, it's just not quite gelling together, but yelling abuse at players, screaming for PD to be sacked and demanding SC's departure ain't going to cure it. I wonder what would have happened to the red half of Manchester if a certain Alexander Chapman Ferguson had got the bullet when it was looking likely in 1994? They stuck with him and it didn't turn out too shabby. I know it's not a like for like comparison, but you get the idea.

Too many fans want, nay demand, instant success these days. That only happens to a selected few, usually with a load of dosh to back it up. We are what we are; currently a 3rd division club with little money and a small playing staff with an inexperienced manager. I said in the chat room yesterday about the Sky programme which focussed on four fans, from Sheff Utd, the Wendies, Hereford and Barnet at the end of last season. The Sheffield ones were on cloud 9 because one of them was going to get automatic promotion. The others were biting their nails because one of them was going to end up in the Blue Square Premier.

There was one similarity. They all supported their clubs and got behind the players and management. Disappointment from the Sheff Utd fan, yes, because they missed out after looking favourites for so long. Even though they threw it away, there was no mention of Danny Wilson getting the push. Hereford and Barnet? Continuous, loyal support because it was THEIR club and it meant so much to them. And they'll still be there this season in places as different as Forest Green Rovers (for Hereford) and Bradford City (for Barnet). One of the fans summed it up. "Hereford are my team. They have been since I was a boy and I'm sure not going to desert them now."

So, how about a bit encouragement rather than carping criticism. Constructive criticism, yes, but not destructive. Accept that there will be times we'll play like world beaters and at others we'll look like the Dog & Duck, but that's what you get at this level. Unless you've got pots of money to attract the better players, of course.

Despite the poor start to the season, I can't wait to get to Pompey, hoping we can put in a performance like we did in the first half against the Wendies a couple of weeks back. Because if we replicate that more often than not this season, we'll be just fine.

While it’s fair enough to say “we’ve been worse than this” before, I’m of the generation that thinks we were once brilliant and should be back where we were, regardless of all the crap we’ve had to put up with since that fateful 1994 FA Cup semi-final. The club having been in worse situations than it is now is little consolation.

Having been an exiled supporter up until last season, when I moved back north and had a season ticket for the first time ever, I never had any time for the main stand moaner type. Indeed, like all clubs, Latics has its fair share of fans who often step over the line from constructive criticism to sheer abuse, for which there is no justification.

Matches for me used to be away-days of the “win or lose, we’ll have a booze” variety, which involved meeting with mates, having a day on the beer and the football was generally secondary. To the main stand moaner, I would have asked “what’s not to enjoy about this”?

However, for the last season (and two games) I’ve seen a different perspective. Going to games at Boundary Park, purely for the football and paying hundreds of pounds for the privilege of turning up to watch tripe like yesterday is, at times, taking the Michael. There’s absolutely no reason for the hard-core to turn up other than blind loyalty, so if those that turn up want to moan, then good luck to them I say.

Pointless abuse is no help to anyone, but I would say there’s no way we should just accept our current plight as just the luck of the draw. There was literally not one positive thing to take out of yesterday.

That said, I can’t wait for Pompey – away from the pressures of the home crowd, it will be a different atmosphere and, hopefully, a different result.

Edited by JoeP

Absolutely spot on Pete.

Jesus, I was so pissed off last night.................we need to play our part as fans.

Anyone else feel that the atmosphere was :censored: at the start of the match yesterday? Within 2 minutes there were groans at misplaced passes.

We were :censored: but :censored: me we are at BP once every 2 weeks usually, lets try and get behind the team we all love!

Anyway, life is too short. Great post, KEEP THE FAITH!

Absolutely spot on.

When we were in the :censored: in the Riche era when we beat Reading to stay up, we had a very weak side, not much in the way of football going on, however we still has atmosphere, people still chanted the names of the players, still sang if we were losing and got behind the team at all times.

We need to get behind the team and the gaffer if we are to survive again in the typical Latics fashion we are accustomed to! We need to be the 12th man!!!!

People were on his back straight away yesterday, but the choice of formation was woeful against a rubbish side. PD can turn it around but he should risk more at home and get players in the oppositions box.

Against a rubbish side? Where did Stevenage finish last season... And they didn't get the ball until we changed our formation