Time to question Corney?

Going off recent attendances the only sensible thing to do would be to cut the budget further, anything else would be just throwing good money after bad.

I wish the Scum board had took the same attitude in the last 70's when their attendances hit 30,000. Think of all the gobbing off them we wouldn't have endured.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the Scum board had took the same attitude in the last 70's when their attendances hit 30,000. Think of all the gobbing off them we wouldn't have endured.

Man Utd's average attendances have been either 1st or 2nd highest in the land since 1964.

In the 1970s, despite relegation to the second division, their lowest average league attendance for a season was 42,721.

In the 1980s they slipped to 36,847 in 1988/89 season. But again, they were still the second best supported side in England that season.

In other words, it's a long time since they struggled.

Either way when the went to mid 30K attendances, it's like us now on 3000 compared to 6500 when TTA came. My point still stands. In fact back then they didn't have sky money so the gate was the single biggest income.

Edited by Lags

I think Corney is 'running' the club well. Most clubs are sturggling but as Corney says we're by far from the worst. But by running the club well there's no room for investment. We're merely surviving right now like most clubs are and there's not much we can do about it.

The club needs stability and it also need investment from somewhere and an increase in revenue to move forward. Who wants to invest? Where's the increase in revenue going to come from?

Without extra funding this is the best situation we can hope for at present, just keep fighting on hoping things will end up changing soon.

Either way when the went to mid 30K attendances, it's like us now on 3000 compared to 6500 when TTA came. My point still stands. In fact back then they didn't have sky money so the gate was the single biggest income.

50 years ago we probably would have broken even on the crowds we have now, expenditure is much higher.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Corney isn't here for the love of the club that's for sure, and who can really blame him, let down by the recession, the council, nimby's, players and fans, having said that there isn't much happening on the pitch to bring the fans back is there.

Where do people get their information on what's being requested to sell up and what's being invested (or otherwise)? There isn't any published balance sheet data since December 2010. All I see is a squad of League One players ( for whom average payments could be anything up to £1.5k to £2k a week if various news articles are to be believed), various staff and a ground facility supposedly supported by a trickle of gate receipts; some TV money a couple of times a year and whatever they charge me for a new coffee cup at Christmas.

Where is all this other information?

Edit to say...Neil Joy. When my lad was mascot recently, he took ten minutes to sit down and talk with him, asking him about who he played football for and about how his own kids play as well. Thoroughly decent bloke.

Stop posting nice things about the club - haven't you had the memo?

I think Corney is 'running' the club well. Most clubs are sturggling but as Corney says we're by far from the worst.

He's hardly going to come out and say "Actually, we're pretty shabby, but we mask it rather well by coming out and saying these things every now and again" is he?

By in "running the club well", we've just seen nothing but cuts, cuts and more cuts in both playing cuts and backroom staff. :censored:ing hell, even the official website has no-one in, not even a lad leaving college who's a dab hand at Photoshop who'd be willing to do it for "work experience". Everywhere you look on a matchday it just screams CHEAP OPTION. Yep, he's running the club well given there's no money around. Mind you, we've still got the 12th biggets budget in League 1. But hang-on, that was Corney's words too.

I'm beginning to feel that SC is actually getting in the way of decent investment. Yes, our inept council have been to blame on a couple of occasions, but Failsworth has been a fiasco which has seen idiocy on both sides of the camp, and lo-and-behold we can now redevelop BP (which should have still been the case after the first cock-up).

The OP is quite right, Corney should be questioned by fans. Ten years after they first arrived, why have we achieved absolutely nothing both on and off the pitch? It's time we got answers now.

The OP is quite right, Corney should be questioned by fans. Ten years after they first arrived, why have we achieved absolutely nothing both on and off the pitch? It's time we got answers now.

Because it was a land deal.

Anything to do with the football club is a cost containment.

He's hardly going to come out and say "Actually, we're pretty shabby, but we mask it rather well by coming out and saying these things every now and again" is he?

By in "running the club well", we've just seen nothing but cuts, cuts and more cuts in both playing cuts and backroom staff. :censored:ing hell, even the official website has no-one in, not even a lad leaving college who's a dab hand at Photoshop who'd be willing to do it for "work experience". Everywhere you look on a matchday it just screams CHEAP OPTION. Yep, he's running the club well given there's no money around. Mind you, we've still got the 12th biggets budget in League 1. But hang-on, that was Corney's words too.

I'm beginning to feel that SC is actually getting in the way of decent investment. Yes, our inept council have been to blame on a couple of occasions, but Failsworth has been a fiasco which has seen idiocy on both sides of the camp, and lo-and-behold we can now redevelop BP (which should have still been the case after the first cock-up).

Welcome to the real world Jamie, come on in the water's gloomy…..

Did you approach the club last season when they were inviting people to pop along and question Corney? I'm sure anyone is free to ask questions but the answers you get may well feature a still photo of a matchday with all the empty seats.

Football is only secondary to him? Since when, we have bought players actually paid fees for them in three of the last four seasons; Furman, Colback, Reid and Montano, brought in veterns on big money; Gregan, Kuqi, Diamond etc. All this 'he's only it in for the land' nonsense drives me mad, it echos of little Oldham. Like a pub where if a non-regular pops heads turn; 'he's not from here, what's he doing here? He's after something I don't trust him.' Even after ten years of funding the club and putting up with crap managers, stay-a-way fans, incompetent councils and players struggling people stick he is after the land.

Football is only secondary to him? Since when, we have bought players actually paid fees for them in three of the last four seasons; Furman, Colback, Reid and Montano, brought in veterns on big money; Gregan, Kuqi, Diamond etc. All this 'he's only it in for the land' nonsense drives me mad, it echos of little Oldham. Like a pub where if a non-regular pops heads turn; 'he's not from here, what's he doing here? He's after something I don't trust him.' Even after ten years of funding the club and putting up with crap managers, stay-a-way fans, incompetent councils and players struggling people stick he is after the land.

Reminds me of when a mate and I walked into a pub and sat next to the open fire, about half an hour later a couple of regulars came in and claimed 'their seats'.

Not surprisingly the pub has now closed due to lack of new custom.

Football is only secondary to him? Since when, we have bought players actually paid fees for them in three of the last four seasons; Furman, Colback, Reid and Montano,

Not being funny, but that is not exactly investing in the future of the football club. Indeed, based on his MEN rant the amount spent on these players is less than one year's maintenance budget for the Lookers Stand. Not a reinvestment of fees for Trotman, Stephens et al.

All this 'he's only it in for the land' nonsense drives me mad, it echos of little Oldham. Like a pub where if a non-regular pops heads turn; 'he's not from here, what's he doing here? He's after something I don't trust him.' Even after ten years of funding the club and putting up with crap managers, stay-a-way fans, incompetent councils and players struggling people stick he is after the land.

They came for the land. They hoped that they'd be able to put the football club in a better place at the same time. But the football club was not their reason for coming to town.

If TTA get filthy rich on the back of it, I don't really care. Good luck to them. As it is they're c£6m in the red. Their business acumen screwed by the Credit Crunch. But they ploughed that money in to try and generate an £80m land deal.

Why is Corney still here? Because they see ways to recoup some or all of their losses. He's looking after Blitz's potential to recover some of those losses. And no other fecker will take it off his hands.

Does Corney want Latics to succeed? Of course he does. Has he invested in the club in a way to deliver that? Never in a million years. The fans paint the place. Joe Royle commented on the lack of progress 3 and a half years ago. Not exactly gone for it since then, have they?

I don't mind Corney. I think he cares about his football club. But don't mix that up with his motives for still owning it.

Not even a mail shot to lapsed season ticket holders.

I have no problem with his motives. But telling me that paying £60k for Joe Colbeck is "investment" when Trotman was sold for nearly 10 times that? Not having it.

Edited by opinions4u

Why is Corney still here? Because they see ways to recoup some or all of their losses. He's looking after Blitz's potential to recover some of those losses. And no other fecker will take it off his hands.

How do we know? Because SC says there are no buyers, that's why. As loony as it sounds, owning a football club, there is still a healthy amount of buyers. Some potty Venky or Malaysian "change the shirt colour" types, but still quite a few. Not many would pay a silly asking price which is probably what has stopped any approach.

I can't fault them for hanging on trying to turn the loss into a profit. It's sensible business strategy, especially where land is concerned. But we've moved precisely nowhere in a decade as a football club. We're stuck in a horrible traffic jam on the M6 for ten years. Fans are getting out and walking up the hard shoulder every year. Why have we gone nowhere? I suspect, nay believe it is because of shoddy decision after shoddy decision at directorship level and only a change of ownership now will help us move forward.

20 years a go we where an established second tier club who were having a couple of glory years in the top table of English football. Now we are an established relegation surviving 3rd tier club. When you look at who is to blame Corney and co has to be included. With the current financial climate I can't see anyone investing significant sums, 'because investing/wasting money in football is not cool anymore'. We are on a sad decline down, league 2 or the conference beckons and the reality is we as supporters need accept it. Maybe the new stand might suppress the doom, but the failure of Failsworth was certainly a couple of nails in the coffin, we can't be self sufficient at Boundary Park, its not financially viable.

The idea that they came for the land is like a poor plot for a soap opera. There have been and still are better plots of land available and loads of deals have been made in the last ten years without getting involved with a football club and lots of money has been made.

And many others have made :censored:loads from property deals involving football clubs.

How do we know? Because SC says there are no buyers, that's why. As loony as it sounds, owning a football club, there is still a healthy amount of buyers. Some potty Venky or Malaysian "change the shirt colour" types, but still quite a few. Not many would pay a silly asking price which is probably what has stopped any approach.

I think we're coming at this from the same side. Personally I thought it was bleeding obvious. Apparently not.

Let's just be glad they're not quite as bad at running a football club as they are at underhanded land deals if any of these ramblings are actually true.

Harry, surely you can see it? Nobody said the land deal they wanted was underhand. Chelsea removed the track from around Stamford Bridge, moved the stands closer to the pitch and built flats behind. All above board. Perfectly good business plan. Others sold the ground for housing / supermarket and moved to a shiny new stadium. Investors make money, football facilities improved and everybody wins.

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with TTA for trying. Failed though. Now we'll end up with a modest new stand that makes the club more saleable.

They're not bad people TTA. They don't appear to want to damage the club. But if they've saved £1.2m by flooring the Lookers they sure as hell haven't pumped it back in to new facilities to retain and attract fans, higher quality players to guarantee a real chance of promotion or a marketing campaign that brings the masses in to Boundary Park.

They've overseen decline. Cut costs. Then been surprised to see more decline.

Edited by opinions4u