Time to question Corney?

A reply to a Post on my facebook page…I agree with every word...

I got absolutely slated on Twitter for saying this. However this season the budget has been absolutely slashed. It's clearly pretty small and also the odd decent player has been brought in or re-signed, it's very light and has absolutely no

steel about it. Tarky at centre half who's made a blunder each game. Wes proving what most suspected but didn't like to say (a sicknote), no real goal threat. I honestly thought we'd see a couple of new faces, someone like Ian Hume or Leon Clarke. Even Kuqi last season at the 11th hour made me believe we'd have a goal threat at least, and we did.

I always seek the positives, and I'll continue to go when work or cricket commitments don't get in the way. Just can't help thinking SC is just blocking the way for a serious buyer who would implement a good structure behind the scenes in the way of marketing, inject a bit of cash to get us to the top and get the ground redevelopment pushed through with three new stands and plenty of commercial income. Yes Simon, you've all lost a bit of cash. But your stubborness is now effecting the club in a serious way. With Chris Moore we had a sudden heart-attack, with Simon Corney we've a slow, lingering cancer. Can we not get in touch with Dignitas?

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if some of the blame for the plight of the club at the moment could also be pointed towards the trust and Ian Hill.

Mr Owen's illness, from which I hope he makes a speedy recovery, means one voice for the fans has other things on his mind. The trust doesn't seemingly have someone waiting in the wings for times when Mr. Owen is unavailable. Neil Joy is the new kid on the block and perhaps isn't one for speaking up. Ian Hill is a glorified estate agent and the club has problems with land/property deals. I think you can see my jist, if you can't there's a thread on here from the summer in which I say a lot of stuff about what he does and does not bring to the club.

Ever since being defeated by a relegation threatened Spurs which virtually sealed our relegation from the Premiership the club has cut corners and limited expenditure in a very short-termist fashion. With a brief period of respite when the dodgy computer bloke was bankrolling the club.

18 years of short-termism leaves the club approaching death with very little in the way except a glorified care-taker, who seemingly has 2 horsemen of the apocalypse whispering in his ear.

Edited by rudemedic

You own a company selling laptops and want the public to buy them. You employ production staff who prove to be no good and allow them to buy in shoddy and defective raw materials. End result is laptops that break down after ten seconds, the sounds goes and the keys break off. Now you had a loyal customer base but they start to desert you because they're sick of the empty promises that these laptops are :censored: hot but basically they're just....... :censored:. Who needs to act to address the situation and increase turnover?

I'm sick of the finger being pointed at us fans. We've been as patient as you can after 10+ years at this level and the same dross being dished out and early promise being dashed.

Sorry Mr Corney but in order to boost crowds you need to beg, steal and borrow to win the fans back. Let's start with supporting your manager with signings that can play out his tactics. A striker that has a proven record rather than PD having to bring in kids or lower league gambles.

PD you're the manager, use your connections to get in some players for as little outlay as possible. That's why you were employed due to your connections as at the moment your motivation and influence with the current crop,isn't working.

I'm well :censored:ed off that the club just seem to accept that mediocre and mid-table or relegation battle is acceptable and the entertainment that will bring fans flooding back.

The way to bring fans back was to bring in a wow signing to get fans salivating - like the Kuqi deal last season. It didn't pay off in the end but it got the place excited... at the moment it's like were in the queue at the local hospice and just waiting for the inevitable!

Investment is needed but is Corney willing to invest further when he's lost millions to date? They've already invested money trying to get us into the Championship. Remember the Ronnie Moore days with Wellens and Liddell and Beckett and Porter all on very good contracts for this league. It didn't pay off, the club were losing millions each year. It can't be sustained.

Whether the club made wow signings or cut their cloth the club have never attracted enough support to sustain it.

Everyone should be thankful to Simon Corney for keeping us in a position where we are seemingly debt free (apart from money owed to SB and DG) At least we're paying the tax man each month and we're ticking over.

He could have sold the club a few years ago to someone who doesn't give one :censored: and we could have ended up like a Portsmouth or even Stockport but credit to him for keeping us in the black.

He seems to have been more sensible than ever this year with the budget being massivley cut - however, will it backfire and see us relegated? i hope not - but if that did happen, i'd like to see some considerable investment so we can bouce back rather than fall further.

Relegation has been a blessing for some teams and it has given them new life, would it be the same for us?

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

It is quite clear that there is a mixed bag of fans here, for and against corneys leadership. personally i am neither for or against at present, regardless how you interpret my original post. what i am trying to highlight is the fact the club cannot continue fighting fires as it has done. action needs taking to stop the rot (to coin an old phrase)

Personally, as previously stated, i would like to see significant investment in the club from corney and his mates, OR a big for sale sign put on the front of the main stand. One or the other, we can no longer afford to maintain the status quo as I truly believe this will result in relegation this season or next. However, I do appreciate there are those that will disagree with me. So I ask you this. If we are to stay under corneys courtship in the coming years, how do you see the club become sustainable, and successful on the pitch, with the current playing budget. I do not accept everything will be ok once the new stand is complete, because I fear relegation before its completion.

It is quite clear that there is a mixed bag of fans here, for and against corneys leadership. personally i am neither for or against at present, regardless how you interpret my original post. what i am trying to highlight is the fact the club cannot continue fighting fires as it has done. action needs taking to stop the rot (to coin an old phrase)

Personally, as previously stated, i would like to see significant investment in the club from corney and his mates, OR a big for sale sign put on the front of the main stand. One or the other, we can no longer afford to maintain the status quo as I truly believe this will result in relegation this season or next. However, I do appreciate there are those that will disagree with me. So I ask you this. If we are to stay under corneys courtship in the coming years, how do you see the club become sustainable, and successful on the pitch, with the current playing budget. I do not accept everything will be ok once the new stand is complete, because I fear relegation before its completion.

The new stand is the aim to get the ball rolling in terms of sustainablilty and i guess it makes the club look more attractive to any potential investors.

But, i accept your fears of relegation and i believe that it would again halt any progress towards a new stand and the plans would be shelved and ultimatley binned again.

To my mind, Corney has already made it perfectly clear that he is prepared to relinquish control of the club to the right bidder and, personally, I'd rather not this be to the first one that trots along. I believe he likes the club and has its' best interests at heart. Anyone just wanting a quick sale should be careful what they wish for. If you didn't know, the world's finances aren't in a great place right now. Sugar daddies for sporting clubs with gates of 3-4,000 are few and non-existent.

Everyone should be thankful to Simon Corney for keeping us in a position where we are seemingly debt free (apart from money owed to SB and DG) At least we're paying the tax man each month and we're ticking over.

He could have sold the club a few years ago to someone who doesn't give one :censored: and we could have ended up like a Portsmouth or even Stockport but credit to him for keeping us in the black.

He seems to have been more sensible than ever this year with the budget being massivley cut - however, will it backfire and see us relegated? i hope not - but if that did happen, i'd like to see some considerable investment so we can bouce back rather than fall further.

Relegation has been a blessing for some teams and it has given them new life, would it be the same for us?

No, we've been relegated twice since a promotion and not bounced back. What makes you think the next time we will or the one after?

To my mind, Corney has already made it perfectly clear that he is prepared to relinquish control of the club to the right bidder and, personally, I'd rather not this be to the first one that trots along. I believe he likes the club and has its' best interests at heart. Anyone just wanting a quick sale should be careful what they wish for. If you didn't know, the world's finances aren't in a great place right now. Sugar daddies for sporting clubs with gates of 3-4,000 are few and non-existent.

Is this the bidder who is best for the club, or is it the bidder willing to stump up enough money?

In my mind I see it that Corney et al want x amount of money for the club, and x is a figure which exceeds its true value and that what potential buyers are willing to pay.

They will never recoup the losses they have made, and would almost certainly sell at a loss if selling now.

what i believe to be true, although they would never admit it, is its a case of them not wanting to sell at a loss, rather than having the best interests of the club at heart. I hope to god I am wrong because if I aint, we are only going one way.

Edited by philliggi

The promise of 10 years of professional football at BP will end long before the promised stand is built that is claimed will make this club self funding. That's not to say after 10 years is up we're :censored:ed. The way it's panning out the :censored:ed senario may just be taken out TTA hands given the way we are going. Under who's stewardship? again that's not to say we'd have gone there 5 years ago without their stewardship.

So lets put a for sale sign up now and see who happens along. Take the hit TTA if need be and I'll be eternally grateful for staving off closure. The next might find closure is the only option, but I'd sooner try closure with new than closure with old.

Is this the bidder who is best for the club, or is it the bidder willing to stump up enough money?

I think (hope) it would be the former based on his statements in the past. Of course, I have no real evidence to back this up just like there is nothing to the contrary. Just a gut feeling I suppose that whilst he can only fund us to a certain level, he's not actually after running up huge debts for the club that would really screw us up.

I think (hope) it would be the former based on his statements in the past. Of course, I have no real evidence to back this up just like there is nothing to the contrary. Just a gut feeling I suppose that whilst he can only fund us to a certain level, he's not actually after running up huge debts for the club that would really screw us up.

Why are we still saying he? it's still TTA pulling every string (Or should I say Blitz) without their name being involved from a company/director legally.

The new stand is the aim to get the ball rolling in terms of sustainablilty and i guess it makes the club look more attractive to any potential investors.

But, i accept your fears of relegation and i believe that it would again halt any progress towards a new stand and the plans would be shelved and ultimatley binned again.

If we are losing £700000 a year, then I just can't see the gym, banqueting and store in the new stand plugging this loss. The club will simply lose a bit less,

No, we've been relegated twice since a promotion and not bounced back. What makes you think the next time we will or the one after?

Personally, i don't think we would either - relegation would ultimatley kill us imho, i've said it in the past - we'd end up being a macclesfield or rochdale with less than 2000 hardcore fans that still turn up.

We're going to be stuck in thks division for a few more years at least - providing we don't fall through the trap door.

If we are losing £700000 a year, then I just can't see the gym, banqueting and store in the new stand plugging this loss. The club will simply lose a bit less,

Hence why it is getting the ball rolling, it's going to take a hell of alot more than those minimal facilities to make the club sustainable..

Might fly to UAE and hand some flyers out to the royal familes.

Why are we still saying he? it's still TTA pulling every string (Or should I say Blitz) without their name being involved from a company/director legally.

Do we know this and what would be the reason for it?

Also, is there anyone who thinks Corney has outstayed his welcome and is running running the club down who still thinks that a change of manager is worthwhile/ an appropriate path for the club?

Edited by Twisbrogan

This is exactly why I want action. To avoid this happening. because if we do go, we are gone for good and wont be coming back any time soon. Action is a must

There won't be any action though, there is no investor out there that seems interested in putting their money into a club that is losing thousands a year. In this current climate they want good facilities and an opportunity to build on something that is threiving.

OAFC is not an attractive proposition for anyone at the moment, even if i won the euro millions i don't think i'd put any money in.. probably wouldn't get a thank-you for it anyway.

Do we know this at what would be the reason for it?

Also, is there anyone who thinks Corney has outstayed his welcome and is running running the club down who still thinks that a change of manager is worthwhile/ an appropriate path for the club?

Corney whilst worth more than me I'd wager wasn't the money man, Blitz was. Corney was Blitz and Gazals mate (I believe) and they were the ones that started the American adventure and then took him into their fold. I would stand corrected if that's not the case.

There won't be any action though, there is no investor out there that seems interested in putting their money into a club that is losing thousands a year. In this current climate they want good facilities and an opportunity to build on something that is threiving.

OAFC is not an attractive proposition for anyone at the moment, even if i won the euro millions i don't think i'd put any money in.. probably wouldn't get a thank-you for it anyway.

So lets just say - for example purposes - an advert is taken in the financial times, as was the case with the moore takeover, or whatever. ok it might cost a couple of thousand. It doesnt sell. What have they lost? (except the couple of thousand obviously) They would still own the club, and we would still be in exactly the same position we are now. but there is always that chance we do find the investor we so desperately need.

or we could just sit on our hands and hope a magic fairy pops out of a teapot