More "causing offense is a crime" madness

I've kind of mentioned him before, but here's the latest on Azhar Ahmed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-leeds-19604735

Just for a little perspective, before we find out what his sentence will be. I saw a cop show recently where they pulled over a HGV driver at 3 in the afternoon. He was nearly three times over the alcohol limit and had a mountain of open and unopened cans of high percentage lager in his truck.

His punishment? An 18 month driving ban and a £150 fine.

Oh....and cue the suggestions of me being prejudiced against somebody or some group or having an agenda, or other such intelligently thought out accusations.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody disagrees with you so far. That must come as a disappointment.

Amazement would be the more accurate word.

As a sidenote, there is a Facebook page out there called "Azhar Ahmed Scumbag!!!" which has been up for months. It has over 3000 likes and is full of some of the most vile nationalistic, racist ftards in the country. It's surprising really since facebook isn't exactly anonymous. The irony of these people posting to what many or most people would be highly offensive sentiments, whilst being "critical" of a guy who is being imprisoned for saying something that they find highly offensive, is obviously lost on them.

• 2 weeks later...

PSSS - No comment on this one? I presume that you have put it on here to say, this is an example when it is totally correct to be offended, the tweeters have gone to far.

Whether someone is offended, or whether someone is correct to be offended is not the point. Whether tweeters have gone too far isn't the point either. It's whether causing offense should be considered a criminal matter.

My opinion on both these cases is the same.

It's not a great start to the new era of ending tasteless abuse supposed to be ushered in between the Scousers and Mancs. I'm genuinely in two places with this one. I think there is a place for abuse directed specifically at a person being considered different to voicing an opinion, however offensive it may be.

Whether someone is offended, or whether someone is correct to be offended is not the point. Whether tweeters have gone too far isn't the point either. It's whether causing offense should be considered a criminal matter.

My opinion on both these cases is the same.

Do you feel the same about this case, I am puzzled why you did not mention it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992

• 2 weeks later...

And.........

And I quote

Mr Hudson concluded: "The reason for the sentence is the seriousness of the offence, the public outrage that has been caused and we felt there was no other sentence this court could have passed which conveys to you the abhorrence that many in society feel this crime should receive."

Indeed. I believe I have established a clear theme on this thread. There appears to be a mounting list of cases like this and it is very disturbing.

You and I share many opinions. I understand your concerns around things such as blasphemy etc.

But, this is a deliberate and targeted attack - there really is no other word for it - on people in an exceptionally vulnerable place and to defend his actions is deplorable.

You and I share many opinions. I understand your concerns around things such as blasphemy etc.

But, this is a deliberate and targeted attack - there really is no other word for it - on people in an exceptionally vulnerable place and to defend his actions is deplorable.

I am not defending his actions. I am attacking the deplorable decision of the state to prosecute and convict people in cases such as this. It's beyond a joke. I realise that not everyone agrees with with me. I realise that some people have a hard time understanding the concept of believing that someone is both a :censored:, and also has been harshly treated. But that is how it is, and I am not the only one outraged every time a story like this comes up.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills