Baxter & Derbyshire

poor, slow on and off the ball - no urgency and we are awful at the back no one attacks crosses.

after that

Croft worked his arse off to try and create something and the new signings both looked good we have to tighten up at the back tho - id be happy with Bouzanis in net for a few week

Edited by bluehobbit

What did you think of us collectively for the first 50 mins BP?

-

Didn't quite fire on all cylinders for 50 minutes, Simpson is struggling for form and we had the usual nodding off at the start of the second half (what do they put in the tea at half time ?).

Signs of improvement later with the guile of Baxter.

I wouldn't have stayed with 2 defensive midfielders against 10 men, but that's PDs system and he wont change it.

Derbyshire looks a good addition if given the right service, Montano is coming on leaps and bounds.

Still concerned about the left back position, Grounds looks lackadaisical at times, now another one there like Wabara and we would be flying.

Bouzanis may have to come in as Cisak looks prone to errors this season.

Derbyshire won the penalty, immediately stood at the spot and wanted the ball, he'd have buried it give the way he was playing... or at least got it on target!

Derbyshire is the player we want - he wasn't doing something for long points but then pops up in the box and got a good goal

Good signings Dickov!

Was impressed with Derbyshire, intelligent movement off the ball and in the right place to collect the best pass of the day from Croft to cooly round the keeper and score.I can't help but think that Dickov dropped a clanger in substituting him early in the second half, to my mind he was our most likely goal threat,Especially with the advantage of an extra man and very little attacking threat from Notts replacing Wes with Baxter after 60 mins would have given us a little more invention in the middle of the park !

As with Derbyshire, Baxter also showed plenty of promise and with more game time under his belt will be better still.

Can't help but feel this is another case of 2 points dropped rather than a point gained, Wouldn't be Latics if it came easy :drinking:

happy with Baxter. but most players coming on against a team who've played 60 mins can so jury still out. hopefully he'll put in a similar performance against Scunny. At least he showed genuine passion when he scored.Like Derbyshire, shows that they might be here for the right reasons.

happy with Baxter. but most players coming on against a team who've played 60 mins can so jury still out. hopefully he'll put in a similar performance against Scunny. At least he showed genuine passion when he scored.Like Derbyshire, shows that they might be here for the right reasons.

Hopefully Baxter is starting to realise that his future in professional football is on the line unless gets his head down and settles somewhere. Derbyshire was going stale at Forest, I think there's something like 7 strikers ahead of him in the pecking order, so hopefully he's looking for a fresh start too.

One thing we have to stop doing (particularly when up against 10 men) is Furman and Wes taking hold of possession, moving forward a bit, then passing it back to the defenders. They either lump it up (where we lose it), or wait 30s and give it straight back to Furman/Wes. Hopefully with Baxter in instead of Simpson, we'll have someone to pass to going forward to complement Croft/Montano.

One thing we have to stop doing (particularly when up against 10 men) is Furman and Wes taking hold of possession, moving forward a bit, then passing it back to the defenders. They either lump it up (where we lose it), or wait 30s and give it straight back to Furman/Wes. Hopefully with Baxter in instead of Simpson, we'll have someone to pass to going forward to complement Croft/Montano.

The problem is it seems they have been programmed as defensive midfielders - yet both are capable of taking the ball forward in turns if given some licence.

What's happening is both are lying deep in tandem with a reluctance to break forward in fear of losing the tactical shape.

Just like watching Taylor for the last 5 years..

The key difference being Taylor got lumps kicked out of him 75% of the time. With Simpson he's invariably just thrown himself to the floor with no foul committed.

I rate Robbie Simpson. He's just going through a :censored: spell.

Edited by opinions4u

When Derbyshire scored I straight away remembered why he stuck in my mind. About 5 years ago I went up to Trent Bridge with MarkOasis for a one dayer, and a big bunch of absolutely hammered lads from Accrington were singing, "Matty Matty Matty Matty Derbyshire," to upset the locals. A move to Forest was always going to be an uphill struggle for him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/262756/video

Sky highlights... same as FLS but with the 'offside' goal at the end.

Yes, Simpson should have buried the pen, but from that, Baxter didn't look offside. Given the height of their defenders it was an impressive header, he could be a very good player for us.

Why was that goal ruled out? Clearly not offside.

The goal was ruled out because smith was offside, he jumped for a header just before Baxter who is behind him. This was on Twitter yesterday as it was mentioned in dickovs interview after he spoke to the ref. Smith is invlved in play but not sure if he is offside

this is the funny thing. Smith probably did impact the play BUT the flag was up 2secs BEFORE Baxter headed it (i.e. as Wabara put in the cross) so the officials CANNOT use that as the reason as you have to wait untill he becomes active to call an offside.

Disgraceful decision / way of making and then explaining a decision

According to Matt Smith, the linesman initially told him that it was Baxter who was offside. They might as well have said "because I say so, that's why".

In the after match discusions neither the ref or linesman knew who it was that was offside.