Honest question

The results and most performances cannot justify keeping faith with PD. Yet the man is still getting decent players into the club and seemingly keeping them happy. I will give him 15 games into this season after which he will have 5 games to prove he is the man, then no improvement I'd ask him to become the upstairs negotiator ie Director of Football.

Because he's a nice man, talks a good game and has won the Champions league with Kilmarnock on FM2012….oh and he once served a few fans a brew.

In all seriousness, Getting down with the fans straight after his appointment was an inspired move, it's bought him 18 months longer than he probably should have got in all reality. The warning signs were there in the second half of 10/11….

I know we've got no money and little hope of bringing in the players we need but we have a half decent team at the moment, we've brought in 48 players during his tenure but still play the same way. the one constant is the manager, i'm gutted it hasn't worked out he's a top guy and immensely likeable but to be struggling so badly in such a pisspoor league is a damning realisation of his abilities as a manager. The decision to go with two holding midfielders again today and to reinstate Simpson was laughable, for me i'm sorry to say it's time to go Paul...

The results and most performances cannot justify keeping faith with PD. Yet the man is still getting decent players into the club and seemingly keeping them happy. I will give him 15 games into this season after which he will have 5 games to prove he is the man, then no improvement I'd ask him to become the upstairs negotiator ie Director of Football.

Director of football? he couldnt even direct his own piss..

Why not do what Yeovil did? Ask him to consider becoming number 2 to a more experienced manager? Whether his ego and self-respect will take that, i'm not so sure...

Edited by oafcprozac

Because he's a nice man, talks a good game and has won the Champions league with Kilmarnock on FM2012….oh and he once served a few fans a brew.

In all seriousness, Getting down with the fans straight after his appointment was an inspired move, it's bought him 18 months longer than he probably should have got in all reality. The warning signs were there in the second half of 10/11….

I know we've got no money and little hope of bringing in the players we need but we have a half decent team at the moment, we've brought in 48 players during his tenure but still play the same way. the one constant is the manager, i'm gutted it hasn't worked out he's a top guy and immensely likeable but to be struggling so badly in such a pisspoor league is a damning realisation of his abilities as a manager. The decision to go with two holding midfielders again today and to reinstate Simpson was laughable, for me i'm sorry to say it's time to go Paul...

Im with you Prozac, some posters say its to early for him sacked.. Its been dreadful all year, time to part the waves.

Lags, do you honestly believe he'd be a good director of football?

As far as I know, the Director of Football role is mainly dealing with players contracts/signings. The playing side of the club is the manager/coach domain. PD certainly talks the talk and is likeable and has proved he can get decent players in and deems to be liked within the game. So yeah I think that role would suit him. Not sure he'd take it though.

For the time being my justification for keeping him on is that he has (eventually) put together a team that should be competitive in this league against nigh on anyone. 3 games with this team is not enough to really indicate that we are in trouble in the long run, certainly not with the cost involved of sacking him and bringing a new manager in. It should be a last resort to sack Dickov.

However things do need to change very soon. Dickov made the decision to go for quality over quantity with the players he brought in over the summer but the quality was not obviously good enough and as soon as Wes got injured it showed the extent of our squad's lack of depth. If he hadn't made the additions before Notts County I strongly doubt that we would've got any points from the last three and his time would undoubtedly been up. But the changes have, on an individual basis, made a positive impact so far which has bought him a bit of time.

If in 3 games time he has failed to get another 3 points (I'd even accept 3 draws with good performances) then he'll have no leg to stand on and it would be worth our while to get someone else in to work with this current squad. Until then he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I heard a very slight whisper about someone being approached but it didnt happen, I made a bit of a dick of myself in the chat room against Scunny as the person who told me is a friend of the club and a local.

If PD did go, and its looking likely, who would you want to see in charge. Its a big time for the club with the new stand and we have to keep in this division.

My choice of Mark Robins has gone to Coventry, we need to get the fans back. I was told Dowie along with Ritchie as the first teamccoach was on the cards with Big Joe offered a place on the board.. Probably get stick for stating that but thats what I was told.

By the way, I heard on GMR that the Chairman of Lancashire County Cricket club has retired now he has seen the full building re-development of Old Trafford complete. He said he would like to get involved in another project, maybe Simon should give him a call and get him in at BP, we could do alot worse

For the time being my justification for keeping him on is that he has (eventually) put together a team that should be competitive in this league against nigh on anyone. 3 games with this team is not enough to really indicate that we are in trouble in the long run, certainly not with the cost involved of sacking him and bringing a new manager in. It should be a last resort to sack Dickov.

However things do need to change very soon. Dickov made the decision to go for quality over quantity with the players he brought in over the summer but the quality was not obviously good enough and as soon as Wes got injured it showed the extent of our squad's lack of depth. If he hadn't made the additions before Notts County I strongly doubt that we would've got any points from the last three and his time would undoubtedly been up. But the changes have, on an individual basis, made a positive impact so far which has bought him a bit of time.

If in 3 games time he has failed to get another 3 points (I'd even accept 3 draws with good performances) then he'll have no leg to stand on and it would be worth our while to get someone else in to work with this current squad. Until then he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I heard a very slight whisper about someone being approached but it didnt happen, I made a bit of a dick of myself in the chat room against Scunny as the person who told me is a friend of the club and a local.

If PD did go, and its looking likely, who would you want to see in charge. Its a big time for the club with the new stand and we have to keep in this division.

My choice of Mark Robins has gone to Coventry, we need to get the fans back. I was told Dowie along with Ritchie as the first teamccoach was on the cards with Big Joe offered a place on the board.. Probably get stick for stating that but thats what I was told.

By the way, I heard on GMR that the Chairman of Lancashire County Cricket club has retired now he has seen the full building re-development of Old Trafford complete. He said he would like to get involved in another project, maybe Simon should give him a call and get him in at BP, we could do alot worse

Dowie or Peter Reid

problem with director of football is that, if the new manager wants to sign someone the director doesnt agree with then there could be issues. or if the director signs players without the manager wanting them or knowing (didn't dennis wise sign someone for newcastle having watched a youtube video?). it might put off potential managers if we had a director of football in place, any proven manager anyway. so we'd probably end up with another rookie manager and, to be honest, if they were willing to let someone else make signings for them then they can't be that great of a decision maker/have a real back bone to get players in

I wanted Dowie but having read Simon Jordan's autobiography, I'm now having second thoughts.

What are the chances that Shez returns IF Dickov goes?

Got a lot of time for Shez, but it would be a heart ruling head decision if we went for Shez. Not what we need right now.

Robins would've been a good choice, but Sean Dyche is the 1st name that springs to mind if we did sack Dickov.

I don't see how demoting him to second in command would make a difference when his best attributes are persuading good players to come here, which is the managers job. The training ground and additional tactics are part of the number 2's duty and they're the things he's failed on.

Bang on

Why is it whenever we get to this situation, which is pretty often, do people always start throwing the names of past managers/players around which have proven to be no better in the past.

Made me laugh the post above saying Dowie as manager, Ritchie as number 2 and Big Joe on the board. Why not get Palmer in to coach the strikers, Jobson defensive coach, Henry and Milligan to marshal the centre mids and Holden to coach the wingers just to make sure ;)

Sorry but one reason Dickov has got time is because he was a breathe of fresh air and nothing to do with the club - if he goes let's do the same again please, a new man with new ideas and backroom staff, not going back to the past.