Simply sensational!

Possibly the best answer PD could have given to his critics (including myself) after last week - top bloke! The high tempo closing down, passing and movement was what PD tried to make his mantra in that 1st 6 months in management, which worked so well until Stephens got that mystery illness prior to Hudds away.

So glad the lads took it back on board because give this XI the amount of possession we won for ourselves and few teams can live with us. Wes has hardly been mentioned on here, but alongside Furman he was my MOM. There may have been better individual moments out there (Monty, Baxter) but the "yard dogs" really are the heartbeat of this team. We don't need a ball player in CM if Baxter is sitting just in front of them - the number of times Wes sprinted 20yards to nudge the back of their CM's ankles must have been 20+ - outstanding performance. Though he'll have to be as good if not better next week w/o is pal at Shef Utd.

Can't stop handing out complements for yesterday. From 1 to 11 we were fantastic. Bouzanis is a quality keeper and always looks to starts attacks, loved his celebration 100yd run for Furman's goal!! Wabara could easily make it all the way into Citeh's first team, a seriously good player. Byrne's best game in the blue shirt by a mile. Grounds likewise and Brown grew with confidence in the 2nd half. Crofty never stopped & looked a different player from 7 days ago (he's desperate for a goal!) Baxter looks to be a few footballing brain cells above some of our lads (ala Shez) but will get better and better with fitness. Montano is pure class and looks a snip at £60K. Matty D just never stopped, will be sorely missed after these next 2 games.

Thanks PD and the lads still got a smile on my face this morning!!

Edited by eyres_28

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not convinced at all by Warbara at cb. Nearly caught out a the end of the first half and there was an time in the second when he should head away but tries to control it. He is fairly susceptible in the air, at rb tho he is the messiah.

Given that he's not a natural centre-back, I thought he did well. No cover at centre-back was an issue we could see coming like a train - it'll be interesting to see what we do.

But yesterday we were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. The best for ages. Gutted we conceded at the end, otherwise it would have been perfect. 3-1 flattered them, because it made it look closer than it was. If the ref had have played advantage instead of pulling play back twice, it would of been 5.

I've never called for Dickov to go, but I was concerned that he'd run out of ideas and was just concentrating on playing "the right way" without getting the results. Forget all that, because he's stepped up and bought in the players we need to be successful and do things his way. Dickov now needs to sign Jose up on a long contract and keep hold of Derbyshire for as long as possible. If we can't keep Derbyshire beyond January, he should be looking for similar alternatives now to bring in then, because it's that kind of player that has been key to our turn in form, in my opinion.

Delighted for Dickov. It would be no crisis if we lose at Sheffield, because the signs are there that we're back on track. The Orient game, in my opinion, is far more important, because we need to show we can play like yesterday at home on a regular basis.

Simply sensational!

Possibly the best answer PD could have given to his critics (including myself) after last week - top bloke! The high tempo closing down, passing and movement was what PD tried to make his mantra in that 1st 6 months in management, which worked so well until Stephens got that mystery illness prior to Hudds away.

So glad the lads took it back on board because give this XI the amount of possession we won for ourselves and few teams can live with us. Wes has hardly been mentioned on here, but alongside Furman he was my MOM. There may have been better individual moments out there (Monty, Baxter) but the "yard dogs" really are the heartbeat of this team. We don't need a ball player in CM if Baxter is sitting just in front of them - the number of times Wes sprinted 20yards to nudge the back of their CM's ankles must have been 20+ - outstanding performance. Though he'll have to be as good if not better next week w/o is pal at Shef Utd.

Can't stop handing out complements for yesterday. From 1 to 11 we were fantastic. Bouzanis is a quality keeper and always looks to starts attacks, loved his celebration 100yd run for Furman's goal!! Wabara could easily make it all the way into Citeh's first team, a seriously good player. Byrne's best game in the blue shirt by a mile. Grounds likewise and Brown grew with confidence in the 2nd half. Crofty never stopped & looked a different player from 7 days ago (he's desperate for a goal!) Baxter looks to be a few footballing brain cells above some of our lads (ala Shez) but will get better and better with fitness. Montano is pure class and looks a snip at £60K. Matty D just never stopped, will be sorely missed after these next 2 games.

Thanks PD and the lads still got a smile on my face this morning!!

But yesterday we were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. The best for ages. Gutted we conceded at the end, otherwise it would have been perfect. 3-1 flattered them, because it made it look closer than it was. If the ref had have played advantage instead of pulling play back twice, it would of been 5.

When he pulled back play to give the free-kick and send their defender off for his second yellow with Derbyshire through on goal I don't think he had much option. As if the ball hadn't gone out of play and they go up the other end and the same CB either scores or makes the assist for the goal the ref put himself in a very difficult position. The goal might have to stand, although I'm not sure, and their player would get sent-off but we'd have been moaning about it much, much harder and rightly so.

On both the bookings for the sent off player the referee should have played advantage as Latics had a decent run on goal. He blew a second early both times.

And, if those moves had broken down he would have been quite right to produce the yellow card at the ext break in play.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Great game yesterday, let's hope we can build on it and make our way up the table a fair bit. :)

Preston fans not happy.

Neaty Posts 8,056

Interesting to read about some mouthy Oldham fans. I don't wish to generalise but most of the ones I came across were slack-jawed neanderthals.

One of them shouted to me: "Wa gunna duh yuh at Deepdale" whilst his knuckles dragged along the floor.

First home game I've missed and we bloody win! I'm very pleased though.

It sounds like we played with that tempo that makes us look a good outfit.

We've put away a difficult side to play against - PNE are allowed an off-day but they'll be pushing the top six all year I think.

The talent in there and ability to win games is there. A good reaction was needed after the lowest we've all felt as Oldham fans for a long time, but we have to continue to look up the table.

We all know this squad is far better than relegation candidates. I wasn't happy when Dickov said as much.

But I don't think we can over-react. All of us who have been slamming PD have been justified because the facts make dire reading. I think it's unfair on him if we suddenly start chanting his name only for us all to fly off the handle IF we dip again.

My position isn't changing for this reason. Of course itd be madness to say 'sack him' because we've won two games but I'm cautious.

Well done to the lads and Dickov. I'm looking forward to next Saturday now.

Great game yesterday, let's hope we can build on it and make our way up the table a fair bit. :)

Preston fans not happy.

Neaty Posts 8,056

Interesting to read about some mouthy Oldham fans. I don't wish to generalise but most of the ones I came across were slack-jawed neanderthals.

One of them shouted to me: "Wa gunna duh yuh at Deepdale" whilst his knuckles dragged along the floor.

I've just been into Preston town centre and there's a massive sale on sour grapes.

Preston fans not happy.

Neaty Posts 8,056

Yeah, that must have been quite a culture shock, what with PNE's fans all being such sophisticated individuals. When i was trying to get through the group of them using the Chaddy Way subway as a toilet before the game without getting piss on my trainers, I have to say I felt quite inferior.

I've just been into Preston town centre and there's a massive sale on sour grapes.

I live, work and was born in Preston. Its a dump, desperately clinging to its success of 10 years ago (when it got city status) with more than its fair share of chavs, scumbags and neanderthals (as their fan put it); any PNE fan criticising OIdham is a deluded hypocrite.

Deepdale (the stadium, not the area) is very nice, I'll admit.

Edited by bossrocks

Wabara is a class act wherever he plays didn't look susceptible at all despite what some say. Certainly no worse at CB than Mvoto or Tarky.

My main concern is who plays striker when Derbyshire inevitably goes. Baxter is a different class in the hole, Simpson has been woeful for a long time and well Smith, lets not even entertain it.

Wabara is a class act wherever he plays didn't look susceptible at all despite what some say. Certainly no worse at CB than Mvoto or Tarky.

My main concern is who plays striker when Derbyshire inevitably goes. Baxter is a different class in the hole, Simpson has been woeful for a long time and well Smith, lets not even entertain it.

Roam to say Warbara is no worse than tarks or mvoto in the air is mindless.

Blackpool started off much worse than us that season too. I think they only won one of their first ten games. I'm not suggesting for a second we'll go on a similar run to theirs, but it shows that some some teams can take longer to gel or for whatever reason start slower to others.

In the early games of 06/07, it seemed our biggest issue was going to be lack of a goal scorer... then a long came Porter. If we were able to keep this team all year, we could perhaps make a challenge, but is there any chance of that happening?