I see what you did there...fine choice of words...

Croft and Derbyshire worked ridiculously hard

Wabara did a fine job out of position

Baxter showed his quality

All excellent but mom for me was montano who defended and attacked exceptionally...mom poll could be tied for all 11

Montana was the Preston coach's MOM as well. Went out of his way to shake Montana's hand when he came off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MoTM definitely Montano.

Grounds I think deserves a mention, he was excellent and played some great long balls today. Will let him off his mistake - would rather he did it at the death when we're 3-0 up than when it matters.

Plus, I think Corney offered him a secret bonus so he didn't have to pay the other clean-sheet bonuses.

3-0 up, Montano had played a blinder, but still ran back 70-odd yards, won the ball and played it out of defence. We have a player on our hands with Montano, he gets better with every game and he deserves that goal. Best no.11 since Paul Edwards!

We made the RRE look like a home attendance by the end! And to round if off Westley looked like he was hating every minute!

MOTM was Crofty, best of a very good bunch today!

We have a player on our hands with Montano, he gets better with every game and he deserves that goal. Best no.11 since Paul Edwards!

Yep, that's the thing I like about him - he works so hard as well as being able to dick the fullback with his eyes closed. Great finish for his goal today, rounded off a very classy counter.

Grounds played superb for me today. PNE from the off tried to get their right winger in the game at every opportunity but Grounds saw him off the pitch subbed whilst also conyributing to Latics going forward. Montano excellent and should attack every defence in this league. Crofty ran and ran. The two centre mids never let PNE have 2 seconds.

In fact all 11 did the business today and that now is the benchmark. If they want success they know what's required. That kinda football will have the crowds back if the crowds give them the chance. PD enjoy your meal and beers tonight.

EDIT: As stated get Baxter on a 4 year contract next week.

Edited by Lags

Fantastic team performance today :icon_peace: even considering the absence of JYM and then losing Tarky who had looked solid alongside Byrne.

so many good performances all through the team but for me none more so than that of Matt Derbyshire, the guy must have ran a marathon today, hustled the Preston defence throughout and for me was awesome. Would love it if his deal could be extended :imnotworthy:

Furman & wes like the yard dogs Henry & Milligan

Good to see them operating much further up the field, that subtle tactical change has made a big difference.

I thought Byrne gave a strong no nonsense performance and Wabara seems comfortable wherever he plays.

Everyone did well in a fine team display.

Some top performances.

Wabara - really excellent, moving from RB to CB, nad he was actually even better.

Byrne. Excellent. Never realised how much the statues on Easter Island were modelled on his head.

Croft - excellent - one cuddly bundle of quality (he also works very hard)

Monty - Excellent. Actually, there was one standout moment besides as the obvious moments - with bout 10 mins to go he got to the by-line and put in awonderful deep, hanging cross. Classic wing play which i haven't seen for a longtime.

Baxter - Excellent - this lad is class.

I can't help thinking, if we had a ball player in midfield we'd have got double figures.

Doesn't all this highlight the frustration of short-termism? Give this team time, let them gell and mature, add to them along the way, and they could do really, really well. But it's not going to happen.....Wabara on one month contract, Debyshire (leads the line so well), one month, Baxter on four month (FFS SIGN HIM LONG TERM _ ARGGGH), and nearly all the others will be gone at the end of the season (or contracts up, at best). Then we start again.....

Oh, and Westey was very entertaining below us. Wathc gesture, tongue pulling, general manic behaviour - i've warmed to the psycho.

Absoulutly sensational!

So many big performances today but Grounds who was a player who I had a few nagging doubts about prior to today just edges outstanding defensively and what a through ball that was for Montano's Goal. But all in all a thoroughly enjoyable day

#Aweeksalongtimeinfootball

Good to see them operating much further up the field, that subtle tactical change has made a big difference.

I thought Byrne gave a strong no nonsense performance and Wabara seems comfortable wherever he plays.

Everyone did well in a fine team display.

I don't think relative to our goal they were operating further up the field. It was more that PNE played a high defensive line, playing the offside trap; therefore Furman and Wes were closer to their defence than they have been in previous games. It's a little bit of a moot point, but perhaps it's not Furman and Wes who are too deep more the back four. If the back four play 5 yards further forward, then so do Furman and Wes. Something for the management team to consider, perhaps?

Edited by rudemedic

Im not convinced at all by Warbara at cb. Nearly caught out a the end of the first half and there was an time in the second when he should head away but tries to control it. He is fairly susceptible in the air, at rb tho he is the messiah.

actually thought he was really solid. stopped everything thrown at him. that said, i missed the last five miuntes to get on the road back to Gogledd Cymru.

Nos da.

Edited by bigfatjoe1

I have been in the Dickov out camp since brentford but I am made up for him. I thought we should get rid but he has come out fighting.

I wasn't there today as just had a baby but now I'm back and can go to all weekend games (would have even if had lost as I'm mad)

Just gutted couldn't be there was proud as punch watching goals go in and telling my 8 day old about it haha

Well done latics

We can increase attendances by donating to laticsforlife anyone interested can pm me

Great night for being an arsenal fan and huge soft spot for latics

We started off as dog :censored: under Shez' first season then went on a bit of a run, just sayin.

Blackpool started off much worse than us that season too. I think they only won one of their first ten games. I'm not suggesting for a second we'll go on a similar run to theirs, but it shows that some some teams can take longer to gel or for whatever reason start slower to others.

I'd like to place on record my sincerest thanks to the small-time drug dealers who :censored:ed up Jose Baxter's Everton career. I still can't believe he's with us, and he's not match-fit yet.

I've got a lot of respect for Preston as a club but every club's got its dickheads and theirs were on form today. Apparently we deliberately waterlogged the pitch to stop them playing. Riiiiight. That might make sense if we had a team of 6ft+ cloggers who win everything in the air,but there was only one team trying to get the ball down and pass it and it wasn't them. We couldn't have dominated the game any more if Preston had been wearing gimp masks. Honestly can't pick a MOTM, every one of them was outstanding. Westley'll be sending some lengthy, angry text messages at 3am.

Just seen the goals on FLS. That Furman goal is brilliant. Midweek they were all harrying and harrassing when Crewe had the ball and evidently it was the same today. That's the kind of desire and 'waspishness' that Dickov played with and that his Latics sides did for the first period of his tenure. Good to see it's back, it works, keep it up!