Can't fault them. Looked assured and comfortable. If it wasn't for an eager referee not playing advantages, it could of been a couple more. Not won over by any stretch but two good performances on the bounce is a start. To a man, we've looked really decent today.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really thought we were going to revert to type and have a similar result to the Coventry game today, so this is excellent. Like I said after the Crewe game, it's good to see we've not only won but won comfortably. I think we all knew if/once it clicked that there was goals in this side. Massively encouraging, I wish I'd gone home for it now...

From start to finish we played at the right tempo, never gave them a minute and looked dangerous everytime we attacked. Very solid performance.

I'll even forgive grounds his blooper at the end.......................as long as he doesn't do it again!

What a game. Baxter we will hopefully sign up ASAP, Derbyshire something tells me he will go elsewhere on better money and wabara best sell that Porsche if he wants to sign for us as it would cost him a weeks wage to run it.

The whole team today played brilliantly and if we can keep this team together we have a very decent side which could see us easily in the playoffs.

Absolutely brilliant from 1 to 11. A big two fingers up to the Dickov outers. And no I'm not saying that we're now on for promotion but we've had real proof of what this team is capable of!!

Hardly two fingers to the Dickov outers is it? We were really good today, not a bad word to say.. let's not forget about the 18 months of :censored:e though.

I'm not even saying I can't be won over with regard to Dickov. Gonna take more than to games though. As a 'Dickov outer' I want to see us win every week so the two fingers pointed my way are pretty redundant.

Well how good was that ?

Preston clearly a better team than Crewe , but secnond half in particular they didn't look they knew what had hit them.

Very difficult to pick out individuals , they were all terrific.

Having to switch Wabara to centre half made no difference at all.

Top stuff.

I sat in a seat I hadn't sat in since we beat Huddersfield 1-0.

MOTM for me was Derbyshire. But so many others right up there. Croft, Moñtano, Baxter, Furman, Grounds until the end and Byrne.

A mention for Tarky. Looked very, very good until his knock. Warbara didn't look overly comfortable at centre half but once he learned to hoof he was fine.

Two keys for me:

1. Passing it on the ground a lot more.

2. Attitude. Beat Westley at his own gain.

Only downside for me - that's what I expect from a home game. More please.

Edited by opinions4u

Finally some entertainment at BP, well deserved too. Grounds was MOM for me.

He was for me until the error. Il plump for crofty. He can keep eating those pies for me because his workrate and ball retention was fantastic.

Edited by welshgaz

Il plump for crofty.

I see what you did there...fine choice of words...

Croft and Derbyshire worked ridiculously hard

Wabara did a fine job out of position

Baxter showed his quality

All excellent but mom for me was montano who defended and attacked exceptionally...mom poll could be tied for all 11

1.) That was the most enjoyable home league game I've been at since Sheridan's time (possibly earlier).

2.) We really really need to sign Baxter up to a longer term contract. I heard a rumour in the bar today that Dickov tried to sign him to a 2 year deal but Corney wanted to give him a 4 month trial, if that was true I think Corney ought to realise that Dickov was right.

3.) We were very very good from 1-11 like others have said. Whilst Montano and Baxter were excellent. Furman and Grounds had great performances but a little more under the radar. The player I was most impressed with today was Wabara, he look very good at RB but when he was forced to move the CB he was outstanding. He was strong in the air, quick across the ground, comfortable on the ball, starting moves when required, and getting rid when required. That was the best half I've seen a Latics CB have since Gregan put Beckford in his pocket.

4.) Preston will be there or there abouts this season but we made them look like a pub team.

5.) Westley showed why no one likes him with his Fergie watch from the 46th minute. If he had concentrated more on how to change things for the better for his team as opposed to our perceived time wasting and gamesmanship, which we didn't really do, he might have been more successful but it would have made the game less fun as 2 sides of the ground (and probably some of their fans if they had really thought about it) took the Mickey out of an arrogant, egotistical waste of space who has gone as far as he is probably likely to go.

Easy to pick out very good performers today but given the disruption of having M'Voto ruled out beforehand and then remain solid with the young Wabara and Brown in the back line, I think Cliff Byrne showed that being solid and keeping things simple can be quite beautiful at times. Exceptional, I thought.