Dealing with the loss of Furman

so we are without furman for the trip to sheff utd next week. how do we deal with that?

straight swap with mchangama

straight swap with simpson

use simpson but push him forward to suit his more natural roll?

winchester?

employ a more defensive minded player to cope with utds supposed quality?

there are many options open to dickov but what would you do?

Edited by philliggi

Straight swap with M'Changama. M'Changama is capable of playing the Furman role so I can't see anything other than that.

Although, sometimes I feel M'Changama isn't very composed on the ball even though he has excellent raw ability, he has the "hot potato" mentality and all that so I'd like him to be calmer. Maybe Wes could drop back a little to compensate for his occasionally wayward passing. Though I hope we keep the same tactics, system and formation that has been played in the last 2 wins.

only one option for me - i know he's not had much game time aside from ressies but Mellor would offer us bulk, power, pace, good passing/shooting ability and is composed on the ball.

Changy works hard but as been said i think he is not the most composed/level headed player and seems to get flustered easily which is not what we need to be carrying away from home.

Mellor for me but Changy is a cert as he came on on sat to get a few mins under his belt. He'll give his all whatever happens so we'll see.

We can't be any worse than last season in the first 45 - we went into the game on a real downer with virtually no midfield yet went at them 2nd half and got the win.

Expected to lose, high on confidence hopefully 1k+ away fans and lets have a go - NOTHING to fear in this league, not one team stands out as being head and shoulders above anyone.

Positivity as in the last 2 games and 3 points is a definate possibility.

only one option for me - i know he's not had much game time aside from ressies but Mellor would offer us bulk, power, pace, good passing/shooting ability and is composed on the ball.

What I saw from Mellor to the end of last season was the opposite of those attributes you've stated, granted, he played Left Back but having composure on the ball should transfer to any position you play in and of what I remember, all he did was hoof it every time he got a touch - and that's no exaggeration. M'Changama doesn't have the greatest composure either but I'd say he was the better choice out of the 2.

What I saw from Mellor to the end of last season was the opposite of those attributes you've stated, granted, he played Left Back but having composure on the ball should transfer to any position you play in and of what I remember, all he did was hoof it every time he got a touch - and that's no exaggeration. M'Changama doesn't have the greatest composure either but I'd say he was the better choice out of the 2.

I disagree with that, actually. I think Mellor has a terrific football mind. However, it'd take a brave man to put Mellor in at Bramall Lane.

I think it should be M'changama, but he has to show he has improved as much as the others.

It was only about a week ago that there were threads on here about dropping furman! "Him and wes are too negative - too similar" it is now obviously the way they were being set up to play rather than being poor players - what a difference a couple of cracking performances makes eh?

It was only about a week ago that there were threads on here about dropping furman! "Him and wes are too negative - too similar" it is now obviously the way they were being set up to play rather than being poor players - what a difference a couple of cracking performances makes eh?

Tbf I don't think anyone was accusing them of being bad players. But for whatever reason there wasn't enough creativity coming from midfield. The introduction of Baxter just ahead of them seems to have worked wonders.

yep, i was one of them - i suggested that one of them is dropped for Baxter or if they still both play that one of them ala Furman actively gets forward and doesn't run to the back 4 to collect the ball when there is Wes already there as the DM.

Furman has attacked when we have attacked and...oh look...we have looked far more threatening and he has SCORED!

never was rocket science - reckon PD always told Furmn to go forward but he never truly did - one massive kick up the arse seems to have done it

Tbf actually loads of people were accusing them of being :censored:e players who only passed sideways or backwards.

I said Furman should be dropped like Simpson, but not for being a bad player.

We all know the ability of him and others, and we also know (to say knew would mean I think everything is suddenly rosy, which is a little early) the potential, and when they start to play as well as they have done during the past week it proves a lot of us were justified with our criticism.

Furman is a good player, but he certainly wasn't playing like one.

M'Changama played a similar role at Pompey and did fairly well, he wasn't great on the ball but was disciplined and help the team keep their shape when holding on the lead. If Wes plays a similar role to what Furman did that day (poor going forward but brilliant at breaking up play) the two should do a decent job.

Furman will be a loss but neither Wes nor M'Changama will be a liability.

Tbf actually loads of people were accusing them of being :censored:e players who only passed sideways or backwards.

Really? I certainly saw nothing along those lines. Although in fairness I did see someone one here last week calling Montano a league 2 player and effectively calling him crap, so I wouldn't but it past people...

M'Changama played a similar role at Pompey and did fairly well, he wasn't great on the ball but was disciplined and help the team keep their shape when holding on the lead. If Wes plays a similar role to what Furman did that day (poor going forward but brilliant at breaking up play) the two should do a decent job.

Furman will be a loss but neither Wes nor M'Changama will be a liability.

The thing is we do have options - M'Changama or Simpson would be the front runners and there is the option of bringing Croft into midfield or dropping Baxter back - and that's without having to look to the young lads Mellor and Winchester.