Furman weighs into Spurs racism 'row'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20262698

My personal opinion is that the tone and context the word is used is key and Spurs can sing it if they want as it is, in a way, a defence mechanism, not too dissimilar from the '1-0 to the Taliban' Latics songs heard a few years ago.

As Spurs have pointed out the real venom is in the hissing chants that, amongst others, West Ham are usually the most guilty of. Whilst I have no issue with the ABL, this Peter Herbert is starting to really get my goat sticking his oar in when not necessary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20262698

My personal opinion is that the tone and context the word is used is key and Spurs can sing it if they want as it is, in a way, a defence mechanism, not too dissimilar from the '1-0 to the Taliban' Latics songs heard a few years ago.

As Spurs have pointed out the real venom is in the hissing chants that, amongst others, West Ham are usually the most guilty of. Whilst I have no issue with the ABL, this Peter Herbert is starting to really get my goat sticking his oar in when not necessary.

He's a tool. Self-appointed voice of the people.

I heard the word used by Spurs fans alot and when they beat Man United wrote it on facebook however listening to talksport and the comments i had no idea at all that word was in fact offensive. In the years of growing up we where told what is deemed offensive and what is not i was totally stunned listening to people on the radio. At the sametime it was interesting hearing the Spurs fans both Jewish and Non Jewish defending it use.

I heard the word used by Spurs fans alot and when they beat Man United wrote it on facebook however listening to talksport and the comments i had no idea at all that word was in fact offensive. In the years of growing up we where told what is deemed offensive and what is not i was totally stunned listening to people on the radio. At the sametime it was interesting hearing the Spurs fans both Jewish and Non Jewish defending it use.

Strange one to the uninitiated isn't it?

I always just thought Yiddish was a language and, therefore, never thought of "Yid" as offensive, especially as Spurs fans called themselves that, Jewish or not.

I reckon the Mayans are right and we're all going to get so confused by all of this that we'll all spontaneously combust on 21st December.

Everyone apart from Peter Herbert.

I reckon the Mayans are right and we're all going to get so confused by all of this that we'll all spontaneously combust on 21st December.

Everyone apart from Peter Herbert.

A shame though for those who book coach/ train tickets to Yeovil for the following days match, is there a refund clause for survivors ?

Strange one to the uninitiated isn't it?

I always just thought Yiddish was a language and, therefore, never thought of "Yid" as offensive, especially as Spurs fans called themselves that, Jewish or not.

In fact, does this lack of understanding/knowledge most of us had not just highlight how little of a :censored: most people, Spurs especially, gave about this until Herbert ramped up his quest to find extra racism?

Edited by HarryBosch

Guest Scratch2000uk

"You're going to get you ****ing heads kicked in" needs to make a comeback.

Aye and " You're going home an a F++king ambulance" and the classic " We had joy we had fun we had ( insert team name here ) on the run, but the joy didn't last cos the bas%$rds ran too fast"

.....Oh the days!!

In fact, does this lack of understanding/knowledge most of us had not just highlight how little of a :censored: most people, Spurs especially, gave about this until Herbert ramped up his quest to find extra racism?

I have seen Jewish people questioning the use before (as well as no doubt many defending it). It's one of those tricky ones, much the same as many black people will use the word, "nigger," but wouldn't like to be called one by someone in an abusive way. You will hear, ""Mon the Taigs," in a room full of Celtic fans which is very much the same thing. Disregarding the last two examples, I really feel that this is a conversation that Spurs fans need to be having amongst themselves, this dick coming in and setting deadlines is just unbelievable. Who the :censored: is he?

Peter Herbert pardon my French is an utter cock. Self righteous prick. What gives him the right to tell anyone what they can and can not do. If there is any offensive chanting at games, it needs to be reported to the police and let them do a full investigation and go from there, not have so trumped up lawyer doing it for them because at the the end of day he's causing witch hunts which can be more dangerous than the idiots singing. (Rant over)

Aye and " You're going home an a F++king ambulance" and the classic " We had joy we had fun we had ( insert team name here ) on the run, but the joy didn't last cos the bas%$rds ran too fast"

.....Oh the days!!

Is that Joy from Barlow's coaches and Latics liner fame in the late 70's / early 80's?

Beyond any of the racism, why is the chairman of The Society of Black Lawyers, which i think is totally racist in itself, is so bothered about mainly white fans singing about the jewish religion.

Shouldn't he be off worring about people being racist towards black lawyers????

Guest Scratch2000uk

Beyond any of the racism, why is the chairman of The Society of Black Lawyers, which i think is totally racist in itself, is so bothered about mainly white fans singing about the jewish religion.

Publicity stunt. The same bloke complained to the police about the unfounded clattenburg incident, i hope they do him for wasting police time.

Edited by Scratch2000uk

He's a human rights lawyer so by the very nature of his job he's out to defend any element of society that gets a raw deal. That's fair enough for me but he's got no right to start accusing a fella of calling a player 'monkey' when he hasn't got a clue. Defence of a minorityIs sound but going on the warpath and trying to find things to defend that aren't there is surely counterproductive?

Inevitably, Clarke Carlisle's chipped in, saying Herbert's comments were "ill-advised":

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20337659

Call me cynical but I can't help wondering if he's just worried that his job as the media's unofficial spokesman on racism in football might be under threat. It's unfortunate that a serious issue's being reduced to a battle of personalities between attention-seekers looking to carve out a media career.

Edited by rosa

Guest Scratch2000uk

Inevitably, Clarke Carlisle's chipped in, saying Herbert's comments were "ill-advised":

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20337659

Call me cynical but I can't help wondering if he's just worried that his job as the media's unofficial spokesman on racism in football might be under threat. It's unfortunate that a serious issue's being reduced to a battle of personalities between attention-seekers looking to carve out a media career.

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people will go to push their own agenda. I think you are quite right Rosa, an important issue being detracted with unfounded accusations and posturing.