Job done I guess

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't sound pretty but it sounded as though the lads battled well to get the result.

Dickov deserves some credit for the team's attitude.

Bring on Donny!

PD must not have any faith in the young lads. Barring the goal grounds really struggling. Mvoto and croft were fantastic but ultimately we were too deep. A major characteristic of his tenure. A better team would of opened us up.

Still 2 wins in four days I guess.

6 points minimum required and 6 points got. Well done to all involved.

Widely said nothing was expected from this coming Tuesday. No doubt if we get turned over the knives will be out again though.

Would be brilliant for PD to get his first three-in-a-row though on Tuesday. Say what you want but he gets results when his neck is on the line.

A crappy scrappy win was much needed (well, compared to tamely letting a couple in at the end). Let's hope we can go on and give Donny a taste of what Richard III got on Bosworth Fields.

So you mean treason and dodgy dealings as per usual from sir William Stanley.

It really had nothing to do with any Lancashire and Yorkshire rivalry whatsoever but had a lot to do with the fact that southern nobility didnt like the idea of a monarch whose main support came from across the north of England.

(proudly a member of the Richard III society and proudly a Lancashire lad) (a pet subject on which i get a bit touchy so take no notice ha ha)

So you mean treason and dodgy dealings as per usual from sir William Stanley.

It really had nothing to do with any Lancashire and Yorkshire rivalry whatsoever but had a lot to do with the fact that southern nobility didnt like the idea of a monarch whose main support came from across the north of England.

(proudly a member of the Richard III society and proudly a Lancashire lad) (a pet subject on which i get a bit touchy so take no notice ha ha)

We :censored: 'em. I'm a bit Welsh so treason and dodgy dealings are fine with me anyway.

This is not a Dickov out post, but, a serious question.

Have we made any progress at all since|Dickov became the manager and is he right about his brief as beiing solely just to keep us up?

Good question.

I think he's done well in the past 2 seasons to keep us up but I'm disappointed that he hasn't really built on those two seasons this year. It's certainly not obvious that this current squad is destined for greater things (although some individuals are). It seems as though we are destined to this from Dickov for some time yet. I'm glad Corney hasn't pulled the trigger just yet although Dickov isn't completely out of the danger.

Staying up was progress from where we were heading under Penney but we've certainly not progressed in 2012. Although I wouldn't say that we've regressed either.

Until it's obvious that we're heading towards relegation under him I don't think sacking him is necessary, the team are battling for him at present so I think sacking him and bringing a new manager in wouldn't have a clear positive effect.

Just noticed that Hartlepool is the only team to have scored less goals than us this season which supports the concensus that we sit back too much. However we cant be that bad at the back to be only -3 goal average having scored so few and only having 23 points.

While we would obviously miss Baxter and Derbyshire I think our defensive unit is good enough to build from, we just need (at least) one clear attacking strategy. Smith, despite his limitations, offers this and if we find the right player to play with him then we would do fairly well imo.

Hopefully at the end of the season all we'll remember will be the result.

I doubt I'll remember that.

It will be 3 points merged in with a number that is hopefully bigger than 50. Nothing else.

By the way, Doncaster go top if they beat us by 9 clear goals on Tuesday.

I doubt I'll remember that.

It will be 3 points merged in with a number that is hopefully bigger than 50. Nothing else.

By the way, Doncaster go top if they beat us by 9 clear goals on Tuesday.

If we win on Tuesday we'll have closed the gap on the top by seven points in eight days. Keep on at that rate and we'll be top by Christmas.

Thought the back 5 played very well , thought Brown had his best game so far in limited opportunities.

Midfield were outpassed by Shrewbury I thought.

Smith was available and worked hard ,but we sorely missed the guile of Baxter.

And as for hitting balls too hard on a wet surface past Derbyshire giving him no chance.....not so clever me thinks.

Pressure off again for now , keep up the good work lads.

Byrne played well. Smith showed a few good touches early on, but faded - should be given more starts, I reckon.

Other than the goal, I can't think of any other thing of note happening in the game.

Had 1-0 written all over it - glad it was in our favour for once!

utter :censored:e again aside from the goal - but what do you expect with Baxter missing and a defensive midfield?

not one of the players has it in their heads to control a ball, pass it and KEEP IT - the one time we kept the ball there were moans in the main stand and then we scored!!

Again PD says 'when Smith plays we go long too early' - :censored:ing do something about it then!!! Smith should have it played to him at ground level and then (when they can be arsed) get the midfield 2 forward - sick of the players longing it when thye have time to control and pass it and find a man.

The amount of times we did try and pass it 10 yards it went to their players - are we really THAT bad??

Get Furman out and Mellor in - someone who will get the ball, carry it and has a good left foot, with Wes as the defensive one.

Also, get on the men BEFORE they get the ball instead of sticking your arse out Furman marking the space, then when your man has already passed it you close him down!!!

Sick of our defensive tactics - no dynamism to our play at all and even both wingers come inside.

6 points but only just - SORT IT PD or GO!!!

My biggest gripes today were not stopping the crosses second half AND furman and his fkin blind backpass again...

On that back pass did anyone else think that our other goalie wouldn't have dealt with it as well?

(Pity Mrs Cisak aka aussiefan didn't see it)

utter :censored:e again aside from the goal - but what do you expect with Baxter missing and a defensive midfield?

not one of the players has it in their heads to control a ball, pass it and KEEP IT - the one time we kept the ball there were moans in the main stand and then we scored!!

Again PD says 'when Smith plays we go long too early' - :censored:ing do something about it then!!! Smith should have it played to him at ground level and then (when they can be arsed) get the midfield 2 forward - sick of the players longing it when thye have time to control and pass it and find a man.

The amount of times we did try and pass it 10 yards it went to their players - are we really THAT bad??

Get Furman out and Mellor in - someone who will get the ball, carry it and has a good left foot, with Wes as the defensive one.

Also, get on the men BEFORE they get the ball instead of sticking your arse out Furman marking the space, then when your man has already passed it you close him down!!!

Sick of our defensive tactics - no dynamism to our play at all and even both wingers come inside.

6 points but only just - SORT IT PD or GO!!!

Tad harsh - I think Dickov's just concentrating on the basics at the moment, being under pressure and all. We took no risks and got a result - a defeat would have left his job hanging by a thread.

Most games in this division are like today's - Tranmere have probably just consistently won scrappy games and it's got them to the top.

Ironically, we probably played better against Tranmere than we did today - not going to complain after winning untidily, though!

Edited by JoeP

Can we stop making Furman the scapegoat. He was no worse than any other player today.

The conditions were tough and we would've all liked to see an attacking performance but its tough when the opposition come to defend.

Its 3 points. Dickov made a change that worked REALLY well, putting Brown and Grounds in who were arguably our best players. Get off his back for 1 game, please. I didn't see 1 person suggest that replacement for Montano yet he saw it and it worked very well.

Give credit where credit is due. He had a good tactical game.