Job done I guess

hence me not saying you did?

Post that you sent to me.

"he was :censored:.

a few were as bad as him but, I assume, he's one of our top earners and he's consistently poor.

why you'd contrive to make out otherwise is beyond me."

Pretty sure this is proof that you claimed I said he wasn't poor today.

Edited by NewBlue

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of entertainment, especially at home

I'd say in soccer, getting entertainment is a bonus - you gamble when you buy your ticket. By-and-large it's an incredibly dull and uninteresting spectator sport.Thanks to Sky and other similar experiences we forget that sport isn't primarily about entertainment, it's about a team or a player aiming to beat their opponent. Granted, the result or by-product of which can be entertaining. I think when entertaining the crowd becomes a sports priority, it ironically becomes increasingly harder to achieve and becomes less the sport its supposed to be.

I'd say in soccer, getting entertainment is a bonus - you gamble when you buy your ticket. By-and-large it's an incredibly dull and uninteresting spectator sport.Thanks to Sky and other similar experiences we forget that sport isn't primarily about entertainment, it's about a team or a player aiming to beat their opponent. Granted, the result or by-product of which can be entertaining. I think when entertaining the crowd becomes a sports priority, it ironically becomes increasingly harder to achieve and becomes less the sport its supposed to be.

That's me told

Rather well put, although I do understand exactly where Harry's coming from.

I do want to win.

I do want to feel my team has entertained.

I don't want the Harlem Globetrotters though.

A bit of entertainment, especially at home

Well for me, the win comes first. I'd take a season of performances like yesterday if it meant us winning each time.

I do know where you're coming from though - it was a poor performance yesterday and not very pretty to watch. I think a more important point is that when we do play good football over the full 90, we do tend to score more goals and win games.

As others have said, play like we did yesterday against Donny and we'll probably get beaten.

our record is P19 GlsF 20

1 goal a game - just.

I am not criticising the getting the 6 points out of 6 line, fantastic and well done.

But its this attitude of 'hey, it's 3 points and thats fine' - we have been playing as :censored:e as yesterday with defensive tactics, an inability for players to control, pass and keep the ball and a lack of goals all season barring the :censored: or bust Crewe/Preston games and for much of PD's time.

Its not alright because we have played and will continue to play this way for future games and expect to get results.

PD's gameplan is get it wide and get our wingers wide - we never do because they come inside and when they do get it there is no one to aim for aside from Derbyshire as the rest of the team is stuck on halfway!!

I have never known a team with the ability of our first 14 players, goo decent established at our level, to be so defensive and ridgid.

No one ever does something off the cuff aside from maybe a moment of class from Baxter and when we attack we are so lethargic to get forward its untrue.

It's ok though, we will accept 17th when we should be at the minimum 12th and looking upwards and continual poor tactics and team play.

Just don't come on here wondering how it happened when we got dicked 4-1 vs Bmouth and will likely against Donny.

It's acceptable to play as :censored:e as yesterday and win, sure, except not play that way every week with no sign of a desire to improve it or attack teams like we intend to win the game....

Keep your shape lads, keep your shape - sod the shape (CM in particular here) - if you run forward a man has to go with you or else your unmarked!!

Not rocket science.....

Edited by shefflatic

That was :censored:.

But we won. Yay.

+1

Bored :censored:less in the second half - nothing happened. at all. for 45mins. tish.

3 points is 3 points at the end of the day; and we've got the 6 points from 2 games we should have been looking to take. But my word that was dross.

It was cold. The damm main stand roof has so many leaks in it; that no matter how many seats I moved along away from my ususal ST seat; I still got soaked with pouring water all over me. The football was tosh, the atmosphere was tosh and - it was really weird - but leaving the ground, I actually forgot we'd won. It felt like a loss.....it wasn't until nearly at the Range that I remembered we'd just sneaked a 1 nil win.

I don't think I'll be able to take many more home games like that. Penney nearly saw me off - PD; sending his side out like that, might complete the job.

+1

Bored :censored:less in the second half - nothing happened. at all. for 45mins. tish.

3 points is 3 points at the end of the day; and we've got the 6 points from 2 games we should have been looking to take. But my word that was dross.

It was cold. The damm main stand roof has so many leaks in it; that no matter how many seats I moved along away from my ususal ST seat; I still got soaked with pouring water all over me. The football was tosh, the atmosphere was tosh and - it was really weird - but leaving the ground, I actually forgot we'd won. It felt like a loss.....it wasn't until nearly at the Range that I remembered we'd just sneaked a 1 nil win.

I don't think I'll be able to take many more home games like that. Penney nearly saw me off - PD; sending his side out like that, might complete the job.

With one or two exceptions he's been sending his teams out like that for far too long. I will be going next Saturday in the cup where I would hope the shackles are off and we can show what we are capable of.

If it's another dull and boring game I will be staying away for a while. I am not prepared to pay good money for :censored:e any longer.

I like to win games but not at the expense of a little entertainment. I've been a supporter for over 50 years and seen some :censored:e in my time but the negative garbage served up by Penney and now Dickov has literally bored me senseless.

The junior ticket was a great gesture by Corney. It is imperative that we encourage young fans to come to BP, however, if we continue to serve up this rubbish for the majority of the season it will have been a totally wasted exercise.

Dickov and the team are frightened to death of losing and that is a recipe for disaster!

I really don't think you can compare Dickov to Penney in terms of negativity. I still remember being dizzy with excitement during the game v Notts County when both our full-backs were in the opposition half, because it felt like it was the first time in a year that I'd seen that at BP. Our difficulty in creating clear-cut chances at the moment seems to come from taking 2-3 touches too many and taking too long to pick a pass/have a shot (low confidence?), whereas under Penney the players seemed to be under instructions to not venture too far up the pitch. Dickov's no great tactician, but as much as it makes for nervy watching, it's not the same as spending the second half of every game looking at your watch every 2 mins thinking "Jesus, how much more of this have I got to sit through?"

but as much as it makes for nervy watching, it's not the same as spending the second half of every game looking at your watch every 2 mins thinking "Jesus, how much more of this have I got to sit through?"

Thats what im doing at the moment....on saturday i nearly got taken out with the ball because i was looking at the scores on my phone, something i usually only do at half time....

I used to turn up at 2.....watch the entire game.....slowly walk back to the car discussing the match and go home, win or lose. At the moment, i turn up at 2:55, am at the exit ready to leave as soon as the whistle goes, and i honestly can't wait to get home. The whole experience of going to watch OAFC is dying a slow and painful death and although it kills me to say it, i don't feel TOO bothered about it right now.

And thats from a season ticket holder for almost 20 years

It's not that much different from where I'm sitting!

I know you say that but to be fair Penney's season was one where we failed to score 3 goals in any game and were content to hang on to a 1-nil defeat.

I understand the frustrations with the football but there have been a few more brighter games with Dickov. We have scored 3 or more 7 or 8 times in the last couple seasons and have actually come from behind to win or take points. Its very different than Penny in that respect though not great I'll grant you ;)

Thats what im doing at the moment....on saturday i nearly got taken out with the ball because i was looking at the scores on my phone, something i usually only do at half time....

I used to turn up at 2.....watch the entire game.....slowly walk back to the car discussing the match and go home, win or lose. At the moment, i turn up at 2:55, am at the exit ready to leave as soon as the whistle goes, and i honestly can't wait to get home. The whole experience of going to watch OAFC is dying a slow and painful death and although it kills me to say it, i don't feel TOO bothered about it right now.

And thats from a season ticket holder for almost 20 years

Exactly the same after 40 years S/T holder.

BP was a much happier place to go all those years ago when the ground was probably as dilapidated as now.

I really struggle to motivate myself to go to BP these days and each time i leave i think " task over for another fortnight.

Really doubt i will get one next season and just pick games unless we can at least show some signs of entertaining.

Why does our attitude to how we play change in such a short time from the few glorious weeks of Crewe , Preston and Sheff U to a week of Bury , Carlisle and Bournemouth !!!!!

As the first 3 games prove , change the style and the results will come , something that PD just can't seem to learn after 3 years

Edited by losesome

Although he has been criticized for his form, we actually played well when we had Simpson in midfield, not because he played especially well but because he gave us an attacking dimension, a different 'shape'. We need a midfield that can a) pass with the ball more efficiently and effectively B) joins the attack. At this level, it would be difficult to have both, but we really need one of the two options. Personally, i am more impressed with Wes that Furman, who actually gives the ball away far too cheaply on far too many occasions. Either way, we need another midfield player, a Redfearn/Snodin or Sheridan or, actually (tin hat on) a Paul Bernard or, even though they didn't score many, a Nick Henry or Milly because they at least joined up with the attack (they took it in turns, one sit one go).

I really don't think you can compare Dickov to Penney in terms of negativity. I still remember being dizzy with excitement during the game v Notts County when both our full-backs were in the opposition half, because it felt like it was the first time in a year that I'd seen that at BP. Our difficulty in creating clear-cut chances at the moment seems to come from taking 2-3 touches too many and taking too long to pick a pass/have a shot (low confidence?), whereas under Penney the players seemed to be under instructions to not venture too far up the pitch. Dickov's no great tactician, but as much as it makes for nervy watching, it's not the same as spending the second half of every game looking at your watch every 2 mins thinking "Jesus, how much more of this have I got to sit through?"

I was doing that on Saturday.....