In praise of our away support...

I remeber that Diego, I think the total attendance was something like 256 and there was a UK submarine docked there, so some of the crew bolstered the away end.

Either that or Im more pickled than even I thought.

Ancona ranks as the lowest attendance for a Latics game in all competitions. It was 311 on 5th September 1995. There were only a few home fans as they boycotted the game over some grievance with the club. You're correct re sailors from a British ship boosting the attendance. They were given free tickets by Alan Hardy and they became honorary Latics supporters for the night, joining in with the singing.

:bluearmy:

Foreign fans don't generally travel away in numbers, seems to be a British phenomenon. Watched Athletic Bilbao get beat 2-0 at home to Athletico Madrid a few years back and there was a couple of blokes who clapped in the tier above above and that was it.

Edited by longtimeblue

Agree that there is no great culture of away support abroad - not least because distances are often much greater. Udinese are a pretty poorly supported team despite some recent success; the town of Udine is pretty small too - twinned with Neath in South Wales I believe.

I remember a very, very wet Bournemouth away end at Dean Court, so much so we were allowed into the home side stand at half time. A few admiring comments to us from the locals.

I guess it must have been Feb 89, but can anyone confirm that?

Not sure it was a record away support!

Living in and around the London area for many years now, back in the 80's I went to a few midweek winter games where I thought I was the only Latics supporter. Charlton and Gillingham spring to mind. Though after chatting to Bob Isaacs on matchday chat one afternoon recently we both recalled a freezing Tues night at The Valley, so somehow I must have missed the other Latics at that game.

Edited by laticsrblue