Furman's Replacement

Furman's Replacement  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to replace Furman in centre-midfield when he's at the African Cup of Nations?

• Baxter
    • Winchester
    • M'Changama
    • Mellor
    • Simpson
    • Replace Wes too and put 2 of the above players together

Digressing from Dickov's managerial job; Furman will be gone in a few weeks so who would you like to replace him?

Maybe it is worth pulling Furman out of the team before the tournament to trial some combination, especially with it being such a crucial period in the season and also calls to sell Furman in the summer might allow us to blood a few young players who haven't been handed the opportunity we expected at the start of the season.

Edited by NewBlue

It will be mchangama as simpson will replace baxter who must have thought I've had enough of this after yesterday.

Mellor and Winchester won't get a look in which is so dissappointing particularly mellor who atleast surely must have been worth a go by now. I was hoping he was going to really kick on in the 1st team this season but alas Dickov won't make these changes picks the same 13-14 players won't trust the wider squad which is going to cost him his job. Just as in the same way in John Sheridans final season where he kept looking for a loan striker to solve his problems. Dickov just looks to stick with the same players hoping they will come good at some point. We may aswell just name 3 subs on the bench.

I actually though changy played well yesterday and his goal was a peach but the fact that the only sub Dickov made was him in the 85th minute when alot of the other players lookded dead on their feet.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Strangely it seems to be an area of the team that we have depth in!

I've gone for M'Changama as that's the natural change so that we can keep our shape, but I could see an argument for all of them getting a run in the team. Simpson would be lowest on my list and as said above there's a good chance that he'll replace Baxter if/when he goes. Baxter would be good if we had someone else to put alongside Smith (Taylor possibly), Winchester and Mellor need to be giving runs in the 1st team sooner or later to see if they are good enough. Wes has to stay in the team as none of the others on the list would work as a partnership.

Hopefully with Furman's enforced absence the midfield will become more dynamic and attacking but I'm concerned about the protection that the back 4 has with him gone. His attacking play is inconsistent at best but the defensive side of his game has always been strong (save the odd backpass!). Hopefully Wes can do this adequately, meaning someone else can make things tick going forward.

Christ we are in trouble if we need to use changy in the free role , changy and smith ! What a front line that would be!!!!

Wes with mellor for me, maybe Simmo may get some form back if he plays in "his" position, cant see Jose staying, why the :censored: would he ?

What's wrong with M'Changama? I think he's a gem.

Can do almost everything, sometimes he's erratic in possession but he's young and hasn't had much first team football in his career yet. In terms of natural talent and ability he's got loads and doesn't mind putting his foot in which is essential for a small lad like himself. You musn't have watched the same game I saw yesterday, out of position he played very well.

He's scored a few goals for us, too. Must be at least 3 from midfield, and they've all been good strikes.

Edited by NewBlue

What's wrong with M'Changama? I think he's a gem.

Can do almost everything, sometimes he's erratic in possession but he's young and hasn't had much first team football in his career yet. In terms of natural talent and ability he's got loads and doesn't mind putting his foot in which is essential for a small lad like himself. You musn't have watched the same game I saw yesterday, out of position he played very well.

He's scored a few goals for us, too. Must be at least 3 from midfield, and they've all been good strikes.

I like Changy. But the two goals I've seen him score got an assist from the keeper! Still, if you don't shoot you won't score.

I like Changy. But the two goals I've seen him score got an assist from the keeper! Still, if you don't shoot you won't score.

There is another factor to these goals that the keepers fumble. If you are sitting behind the line of his shot you can see the amount of dip and swerve he gets on the ball, it's tough to deal with those types of shots. See Ronaldo, Drogba and more players who can get this movement.

I think it's no coincidence goalkeepers struggle to handle his shots when other player's shots are smothered easily.

do you not realise that he is doing very well at Sheff Wed and Dave Jones is jiust playing mind games with him?

M'Changama, but as an attacking midfielder, with a exocet of a shot I don't want to see him in in his own half like Furman often is.

Edited by BP1960

Nothing wrong with changy, but in the Baxter role ? I think not

Imagine playing an attacking midfielder in the attacking midfielder's postion.

M'changama has all the attributes required to be successful in that position. Why do you think that he isn't suitable to that role? He is able to link play, generally is a good passer of the ball even though his passing can be erratic at times, he's not afraid of running at the oppo defence, and isn't afraid of having shots. Playing him there will also encourage us to get it on the floor and pass more which we are better at than the mindless hoofs we often seem to resort to when we have a target man upfront.

Voted Mellor.

But - it wont happen will it by the looks of it. PD doesnt rate him it appears. Strange. I think he has it in him to be the dynamic CM we need. But, it matters not a jot what i think. PD will most probably play Simpson in there once his ban is up.

Simpson's ban is up before Furman leaves. Mellor has been ill apparently which is why he hasn't featured of late.

I don't see much of a gulf in class between these lot and Furman and Wes. Apart from experience, I think technically they're just as sound.

Maybe, but that isnt saying much. All midfielders have been poor this season. Get a loan CM and striker and get a nd

I don't see much of a gulf in class between these lot and Furman and Wes. Apart from experience, I think technically they're just as sound.

Maybe, but that isnt saying much. All midfielders have been poor this season. Get a loan CM and striker and get a new winger in!

Maybe, but that isnt saying much. All midfielders have been poor this season. Get a loan CM and striker and get a new winger in!

I completely agree with you, the midfield hasn't been good enough. They're there to create chances, they haven't, which is even more scandalous when we had 2 brilliant finishers up front in Baxter and Derbyshire,

However, a lot of people on here are rightly saying that these promising youths we have in the squad, who made a mark last season and showed they have something about them, are not getting an opportunity. With Furman away these kids can have their game time that they deserve. Mellor, M'Changama and Winchester have showed signs of being the real deal in the past but they have been left in the cold this year.

I'd hate to see them leave the club without having a chance to prove their quality that they're gradually acquiring as they develop. The next 2 months are the times when we can gauge their ability and if they do perform well then maybe that will breed competitiveness within the CM position and will be a flip for Furman and Wes to get better or get out.