Dale Stephens

Bury also have a %

That'll have been paid when we sold him to Charlton. A team can't have a continuous sell on fee for a player throughout their career. Otherwise everyclub would do it, imagine how flush Sporting Lisbon would be if Cristiano Ronaldo was sold again.

And if it's only 10% then that's piss weak negotiations from ourselves. We had him on a long term contract, we weren't desperate to get rid and should have had the upper hand in negotiations.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I'd have thought that was paid when we sold him.

I'd be surprised if the get a %ge of our %ge. But you never know!

Thats what I thought at first, but a few Rochdale supporting mates reckon that there still get a % of money from players they've soon who has got promotion etc.. Take Lambert and Le Fondre, sold to Bristol Rovers & Rotherham. Both then sold on to Southampton & Reading, Dale got a % of the fee from sell on clauses which everyone knows, but apparently Bristol and Rotherham had clauses in saying they get X amount if the team got promoted with Lambert/Le Fondre still there, so then when they got paid the extra money, Dale then got a % of that money as they are due whatever % of any fee the team they sold them to get..

There's probably a more simple way of explaining that, not fully sure myself but their convinced that's how it works..

We kept getting a % of Fitz Hall's fees.

They way it usually works is that the selling club get a % of the gain that the buying club make on the player

A sells to B for £100k with a 10% sell on

B sells to C for £1.1m with a 10% sell on, making a £1m gain, and give club A £100k (10% of £1m)

C sells to D for £2.1m with a 10% sell on, making a £1m gain, and give £100k to B (10% of £1m) and B give £10k to A (10% of the £100k that B got)

It only continues if the selling club have a sell-on clause though.

That'll have been paid when we sold him to Charlton. A team can't have a continuous sell on fee for a player throughout their career. Otherwise everyclub would do it, imagine how flush Sporting Lisbon would be if Cristiano Ronaldo was sold again.

And if it's only 10% then that's piss weak negotiations from ourselves. We had him on a long term contract, we weren't desperate to get rid and should have had the upper hand in negotiations.

Now I might be wildly off the mark here; but wasn't he in the last year of his contract - and we were also due to pay Bury another fee if he played another game for us?

That was why we loaned him to Southampton for the remainder of the season and then were all to ready to agree a fee with Charlton after that??

I'd say a 10% sell on fee is about right; any more and Charlton might not have agreed to the transfer. If he goes for a million plus fee; then we'll still do well from what would surely be an unbudgeted for amount coming into the club.