Cheer, don't jeer. Why we weren't supposed to boo Suarez...

http://www.dailymail...st-players.html

Ridiculous article. We didn't boo Suarez because of his footballing threat - wee boo'd him because he's a cheat and a racist.

I never understand why some fans boo the opposition players before they have even kicked a ball - even allowing for his previous misdemeanours - makes no sense to me.

As for the article - I agree Suarez is a great talent but he pales in comparison to Stevie G. - If only I had had the chance to see him in his prime.

Edited by TheBigDog

This is a perfect example of the pretentiousness of the Mail and the reason why football has players who cheat and dive. If you don't punish these actions then the fans will try to make a point, by booing or worse.

The Mail can't understand that there is a level below the Premier League glamour clubs who don't appreciate players diving to win matches. They never stop bleeting on about morals when there's a remark about the Royal Family but ignore morals in any other subject.

Although, I found it quite hypocritical when I saw a man in the RRE shouting 'currymunchers don't belong at football, :censored: off' to a bunch of Asian fans and then went on to boo Suarez and call him a 'racist :censored:'.

Edit: I didn't actually boo him myself but I can see why others would. I'm not too bothered about the racism thing because as said above, most people have done it and it's in his culture. It's more the cheating.

Edited by NewBlue

No problem with Suarez and I don't really think the Evra incident shows him up as a racist. Surely the definition of racist language lies in the users intent, and from everything I have read about the situation it seems likely that in fact he didn't view his comments as racially offensive. Hence he admitted what he said and condemned himself.

Also, no issues with the handballs because I'd do the same. Diving is lame, but he's no worse than most.

So no, I don't boo him.

Although, I found it quite hypocritical when I saw a man in the RRE shouting 'currymunchers don't belong at football, :censored: off' to a bunch of Asian fans and then went on to boo Suarez and call him a 'racist :censored:'.

I hope that bloke wasn't a regular as its not the sort of thing that this club, or any club, or even society as a whole needs. People like that may put off the local ethnic minorities from coming again and given our dwindling attendances the club can do without it.

I hope that bloke wasn't a regular as its not the sort of thing that this club, or any club, or even society as a whole needs. People like that may put off the local ethnic minorities from coming again and given our dwindling attendances the club can do without it.

Him and the skinhead nob looking for a brawl outside the Grey Mare who was screaming in the face of three young Asian lads on the incorrect assumption they were Liverpool fans.

Now they're racist, and scumbags through and through.

Him and the skinhead nob looking for a brawl outside the Grey Mare who was screaming in the face of three young Asian lads on the incorrect assumption they were Liverpool fans.

Now they're racist, and scumbags through and through.

I was surprised at the amount of Asian (probably not right to say that as most of them could be classed as English as anyone else really) faces in the RRE near me. Only ever seen the odd brown face at Latics before, but there were plenty on Sunday. I did wonder if they were supporting Oldham or Liverpool. A lot had 50/50 scarves on and perhaps they were just their to take in the game as neutrals or even fans of both teams. The Everton game will probably tell us if it's a start of more interest from the Asian community in OAFC or just because Liverpool were in town.

I was surprised at the amount of Asian (probably not right to say that as most of them could be classed as English as anyone else really) faces in the RRE near me. Only ever seen the odd brown face at Latics before, but there were plenty on Sunday. I did wonder if they were supporting Oldham or Liverpool. A lot had 50/50 scarves on and perhaps they were just their to take in the game as neutrals or even fans of both teams. The Everton game will probably tell us if it's a start of more interest from the Asian community in OAFC or just because Liverpool were in town.

A lot of the Oldham Asian community support Liverpool; no idea why. You see a lot of Asians in Oldham town centre, Glodwick and Clarksfield wearing Liverpool tops.

Un-evolved pond-scum, I'm ashamed they're associated with our club.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a decent sized group of young Asian blokes at the game. Call me cynical but its a huge untapped market which could not only increase our fanbase but do wonders in helping rid OAFC of hypocritical idiots like the one mentioned above.

I didn't boo him, but I did shout something like, "Well played, you talented but controversial racist," in a lulled moment. That told him.

As for the Evra incident, he isn't a 17 year old kid, if he was using language normal to him it would have been remarked on before at some point in England or Holland. What it tells us is that he really doesn't people making jokes about his sister's holy of holies, so maybe we missed a trick there.

Re: the article - 100% with eclaire. Any excuse to get a good old racism debate in, that train's never late.

I've seen dickheads like that before, some bloke at accy a couple years ago shouting abuse at a young Asian steward , total :censored:s they re the ones not welcome in our club , I don't care where your from, what skin colour, if you have latics at heart your ok with me .

I didn't boo him, but I did shout something like, "Well played, you talented but controversial racist," in a lulled moment. That told him.

As for the Evra incident, he isn't a 17 year old kid, if he was using language normal to him it would have been remarked on before at some point in England or Holland. What it tells us is that he really doesn't people making jokes about his sister's holy of holies, so maybe we missed a trick there.

Re: the article - 100% with eclaire. Any excuse to get a good old racism debate in, that train's never late.

As I heard it the word is a hispanic one, common in South America, which has skin colour connotations but is not meant to be offensive.

For instance, apparently Pacheco calls Glen Johnson the same word and they are mates.

I boo'd Suarez because I hate him, he's a dirty, cheating, lying, diving, :censored:.

This. I gave Suarez a few verbals because he's a diving, cheating, racist bastard. It had nothing to with his abiltity. There's no denying he's a very good player. I clapped Steven Gerrard when he was warming up. I clapped him again when he got brought on, and again after the final whistle. Suarez is a very good player. Steven Gerrard is a GREAT player. Suarez isn't even in the same class. Not even close.