New manager

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the grounds of what?

Corney has been away so who do you expect would have "appointed" him?

Dowie has alreasy been spoken to, salary appears to be an issue and Corney thinks TP will be in charge for a couple more weeks yet. If negotiations are taking that long, I think it's fair to say that we won't be getting Dowie.

I have to confess the longer this drags on the less support I think Dowie would get if appointed.

I think I'm at the stage where I just want TP to continue. Given the circumstances he'd be blameless if we do get relegated and it puts the onus of getting out of this mess back to where it should be - back on the underperforming players.

Dowie has alreasy been spoken to, salary appears to be an issue and Corney thinks TP will be in charge for a couple more weeks yet. If negotiations are taking that long, I think it's fair to say that we won't be getting Dowie.

Where have you had it confirmed that salary is an issue?

Where have you had it confirmed that salary is an issue?

Nothing gets confirmed but, as I said, it appears to be a sticking point based on the Chron article:

"It is thought Athletic can't get close to the salary expected by former Northern Ireland striker Dowie as a result of his media work, making a return to the club he led to the play-offs in 2002-03 unlikely. "

Edited by Twisbrogan

I really wouldn't take any notice of the Chron, especially on something like this.

Everyone is guessing at the moment.

Corney said we will take our time and that is what is rightly happening, everyone needs to chill a little.

Somebody mentioned it yesterday, that we have very little to be gained by appointing a manager before Everton and I subscribe to that.

Lets face it, if we get hammered 3 nil there will be some on here moaning that the manager had it all wrong.

Let's await the result on Saturday and then rally around and gain some momentum with a new gaffer, ready to start a run of wins in the league.

To be fair to the club they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one.

They dont want to hand a long term contract to a manager paying him a league 1 salary when we could very easilly be playing in League 2 next year, but as a result that means the calibre of manager we can attract potentially drops?

I wouldn't be too upset if they decided to give it to TP until they at least know the division they will be playing in and take it from there.

As long as that t#@t Westley stays as far away as possible :-)

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Is it just pure coincidence or just me!!!

Paul Scholes missed the Real Madrid Game, and is now possibly out for another 2 weeks.

Has SC reported that it could take a couple of weeks to get the right guy in post?

I love conspiracy theories!

What I would love is some certainty. Leaving TP and PG in charge is fine until we lose a league 1 game which is likely to happen next Tuesday. Does SC then panic?

The two games I would like us to win, which I expect us to win after the MK Dons performance are Portsmouth and Preston. Any new manager needs time and the idea that we have two more weeks to appoint is daft.

If the TP/PG combo wins the Portsmouth and Preston game why would you then put in a new manager? If we don't have a new manager and those games are lost then I think all is lost and putting in a new manager will make no difference as down we would go.

For me the choices are to offer TP/PG the job until the end of season and let them get some temporary help in or to appoint a new manager before the Portsmouth game.

What I would love is some certainty. Leaving TP and PG in charge is fine until we lose a league 1 game which is likely to happen next Tuesday. Does SC then panic?

The two games I would like us to win, which I expect us to win after the MK Dons performance are Portsmouth and Preston. Any new manager needs time and the idea that we have two more weeks to appoint is daft.

Not that I want to be too optimistic but Stevenage is a game that we now have a fair chance of winning. They've slipped down the league in recent times and have lost 7 out of their last 10. Tomorrow's game is irrelevant to the manager's job but at the moment I think we stand a good chance of winning the next 3 league games with TP in charge. Changing managers before then is more likely to hinder our chances imo.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh