New manager

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the the much improved performance on Saturday, I'm not sure if Corney will be pulling out all the stops to appoint anyone soon and most likely not this week. I wanted someone in more or less straight away simply due to the fact that work needed to be carried out on the training ground to get some sort of confidence and match strategy into the squad. However, given that the current first team have illustrated that they actually are capable of putting a decent showing together, then the instruction to the new man would surely be to keep that level of focus and performance going.

Of course each game is different and tactical nouse is key to be able to gets results under various circumstances but where there is an option to hold tight until renewed impetus is required, I think SC will take it especially since each week without a replacement keeps a new wage off the bill.

I don't think anyone sees Everton as anything other than a nice to have money spinner so there's no rush to get things fixed up before then and there's unlikely to be any real pressure to change things this side of the Stevenage game.

Thursday press conference.

Hopefully announcing:

1) New stand.

2) New manager.

3) Completely new structure behind the scenes to ensure success from bottom to top. Hopefully.

..............and when I click my fingers, you're back in the room

<click>

Welcome back O4U, you were out for some time there......

Sammy lee will be the new manager

Can't be bothered searching for the thread but there were rumours about that ex Chester villain Vaughan being in takeover talks, probably just bollocks but I've just had a text from a Chester fan I know saying that it's true and he's bringing Lee in as gaffer.

Just got this from the M.E.N

Iain Dowie one and only for Latics...maybe?

By Mike Keegan | 12 Feb 2013 09:46

US-based owner Simon Corney, speaking from New York, says that he is yet to decide who will replace City legend Paul Dickov, who vacated the Boundary Park hot seat last week.

"Iain is the only person I have been in contact with with regards to the manager's job," he said.

"But there is no number one choice. We are taking it day by day so don't rule anything in or out."

Dowie, a former Northern Ireland international, led Oldham to the play-offs in 2002-03, albeit with the aid of former owner Chris Moore's not-inconsiderable backing.

He is the fans' favourite to take over from Dickov, who left following a league run of one point in 27.

But one issue could be his wage demands.

Bolton-based Dowie's son, Oliver, tweeted last week: "Good to see dad's fans' favourite for the Oldham job. He's been waiting for a long-term project like this for a while."

Whoever gets the job - whether it be Lee, Dowie or Tony P - it got me thinking...

The best managerial decision this season has to be the one made by Bournemouth to pursue Eddie Howe and bring him back from Burnley.

Any one think of a better decision (apart from Man U continuing with Sir Alex...)? :mmm:

Whoever gets the job - whether it be Lee, Dowie or Tony P - it got me thinking...

The best managerial decision this season has to be the one made by Bournemouth to pursue Eddie Howe and bring him back from Burnley.

Any one think of a better decision (apart from Man U continuing with Sir Alex...)? :mmm:

Very few people had heard of Wenger when Arsenal appointed him

The best managerial appointment of all time was when Latics brought Iain Dowie back for the second time on 14/2/2013.

At the time we were lying in the bottom four of League 1 on 30 points after playing :censored:e all season.

If only people could have seen that he was going to win the next 15 league matches as well as getting to the FA Cup Final and norrowly missing out on the trophy losing 1-0 to the European Champions.

A remarkable task to take us from the relegation zone to promotion through the play offs.

Even more remarkable to take us to a second succesful promotion to the Prem (helped by the revenue from our 50,000 seater stadium and an uplift in supporters after both Manchester clubs went bankcrupt in 2014)

But for that appointment back in in 2013, perhaps we would not now be playing for a place in Europe (currently lying in Premiership 2nd place behind soon to be Champions - the "moneybags" of Bournemouth -).

The year is 2016!

If Carlsberg made managerial appointments.................... :wink:

The best managerial appointment of all time was when Latics brought Iain Dowie back for the second time on 14/2/2013.

At the time we were lying in the bottom four of League 1 on 30 points after playing :censored:e all season.

If only people could have seen that he was going to win the next 15 league matches as well as getting to the FA Cup Final and norrowly missing out on the trophy losing 1-0 to the European Champions.

A remarkable task to take us from the relegation zone to promotion through the play offs.

Even more remarkable to take us to a second succesful promotion to the Prem (helped by the revenue from our 50,000 seater stadium and an uplift in supporters after both Manchester clubs went bankcrupt in 2014)

But for that appointment back in in 2013, perhaps we would not now be playing for a place in Europe (currently lying in Premiership 2nd place behind soon to be Champions - the "moneybags" of Bournemouth -).

The year is 2016!

Bl**dy pessimists...

If only people could have seen that he was going to win the next 15 league matches as well as getting to the FA Cup Final and narrowly missing out on the trophy losing 1-0 to the European Champions.

The year is 2016!

Dowie out!

That Bournemouth side should do well in the championship as well

Fair play to Howe was a ballsy step that looks like its paying off, it helps they have a bucket load of cash

They must be good if they allowed Barnard to go back to Saints without trying sign him again, although they have loads of strikers

Top young manager he is, done a great job since he came back.

Edited by oafc_fan

Just got this from the M.E.N

Iain Dowie one and only for Latics...maybe?

By Mike Keegan | 12 Feb 2013 09:46

US-based owner Simon Corney, speaking from New York, says that he is yet to decide who will replace City legend Paul Dickov, who vacated the Boundary Park hot seat last week.

"Iain is the only person I have been in contact with with regards to the manager's job," he said.

"But there is no number one choice. We are taking it day by day so don't rule anything in or out."

Dowie, a former Northern Ireland international, led Oldham to the play-offs in 2002-03, albeit with the aid of former owner Chris Moore's not-inconsiderable backing.

He is the fans' favourite to take over from Dickov, who left following a league run of one point in 27.

But one issue could be his wage demands.

Bolton-based Dowie's son, Oliver, tweeted last week: "Good to see dad's fans' favourite for the Oldham job. He's been waiting for a long-term project like this for a while."

Corney speaking to the Chron from New York:

“Tony is in charge until further notice,”...

“At the moment, we are looking at all the different applicants,” added Corney, who returns to Oldham on Friday. “When we get a unanimous decision from all of the board, we will proceed.”

http://www.oldham-ch...793/at-the-helm