This Class of 2013

Never felt so distanced or ashamed of a Latics side as i have of this lot. None of them seem to want to play for the shirt or seem that bothered. Granted they have given us a great cup run, but thats just a small part of the season. Again today looked like they couldn't be arsed, only ever pop up on twitter when things are going well. Just so disillusioned with this side this season, no fight what so ever.

Never felt so distanced or ashamed of a Latics side as i have of this lot. None of them seem to want to play for the shirt or seem that bothered. Granted they have given us a great cup run, but thats just a small part of the season. Again today looked like they couldn't be arsed, only ever pop up on twitter when things are going well. Just so disillusioned with this side this season, no fight what so ever.

Reminds me of 09/10 under Mr Penney.

Gregan apart, that side deserved to be relegated in terms of their desire and want to win a game.

i wouldn't say they don't want it, but there is a massive gap between the ability that we know they have and the performances.

We have an international captain, the 'best player outside of the premiership' and we've had strikers who've played in europe/scored 30+goals a season at this level, but we're 21st...

i wouldn't say they don't want it, but there is a massive gap between the ability that we know they have and the performances.

We have an international captain, the 'best player outside of the premiership' and we've had strikers who've played in europe/scored 30+goals a season at this level, but we're 21st...

.... because they don't want it.

Anybody there today would agree that the atmosphere and feeling around the away end was eerily quiet and devoid of confidence.

I think the fans can sense that there is no leaders or ruthlessness in the team.

Not a lack of passion though. Bouzanis, M'Voto, Wes, Baxter, Smith are all clearly passionate and ARE bothered.

The players don't have the character that you need when you're struggling but that isn't necessarily a lack of wanting to win.

Edited by NewBlue

Anybody there today would agree that the atmosphere and feeling around the away end was eerily quiet and devoid of confidence.

I think the fans can sense that there is no leaders in the team.

Not a lack of passion though. Bouzanis, M'Voto, Wes, Baxter, Smith are all clearly passionate and ARE bothered.

The players don't have the character that you need when you're struggling but that isn't necessarily a lack of wanting to win.

They need to get their arses in gear and turn up!

From what i have seen this season, there has been a distinct lack of leadership, no-one out there giving everyone a good kick up the arse!

There HAS been a lack of desire at points too, but most concerning is the lack of urgancy in their play - 1-0 down in some games, we're passing the ball round in defence and getting no shots on goal - also pissing around passing it round the box is an Oldham trait of the last few seasons. Some of these so called professional footballers lack the bollocks to have a shot every now and then - never know, it might go in.

Rant over?

There HAS been a lack of desire at points too, but most concerning is the lack of urgancy in their play - 1-0 down in some games, we're passing the ball round in defence and getting no shots on goal - also pissing around passing it round the box is an Oldham trait of the last few seasons. Some of these so called professional footballers lack the bollocks to have a shot every now and then - never know, it might go in.

That isn't a lack of passion it's a sign of no ruthlessness and tactics. They might just be instinctively defensive. Smith was almost playing alone up front Barnard was deep for such long spells.

Dickov, throughout his time, delivered uninspired football that resulted in very few chances and boring football. We haven't entertained for a long time because he desperately maintained that defensive midfield and 1 up front.

Players should really take some initiative but I don't know whether they're smart enough or independent enough to do that.

Probably the most annoying thing about this side is that there isn't any players I'd single out as being particularly poor, which has certainly been the case in previous squads that have struggled. So it isn't a lack of talent that has got them in the predicament they find ourselves in. And we can't lay all its shortcomings at Dickov's door, especially as they're still showing those same shortcomings now he has departed. As many on here have pointed out, the players talk a good fight on social media, but so many times instead produce a completely gutless display. Then they finally give us a couple of decent displays, look like they've finally turned a corner and got our season on track, only to then revert back to type. It's infuriating tbh, and you wonder how many of them are genuinely concerned about us being relegated this season. The commitment just doesn't seem to be there.

I apologise if this turned into an incoherent rant, I'm awake at 3 o clock in the morning doing my dissertation so understandably my brain has began to turn into mush...

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Dickov took the beating for their performances before - probably for not being able to motivate them, but now they're exposed...

And this is what it boils down to.

I don't think the five league games have told us a great deal. Three wins against teams declining. Two defeats against teams in the top six.

We will truly find out their ability in battle on Tuesday, against Colchester, down at Shrewsbury.

By which time we'll probably be clearer on what division we're in next season.

Dickov promised players who would run through brick walls IIRC? I'm still waiting for them to arrive.......

We lack leadership and heart. Wesolowski has it, but has rarely shown it. Byrne has it but now isnt playing.....other than that? I'm struggling. We have a captain who barely speaks and as a team we're quiet as mice.

It's not ability that is in question. Its heart for the battle, it's leadership......

We are simply far too easily beaten and have been all season , if we don't get the first goal in nearly every game the ref might as well blow for full time.

These are the areas that should be tackled in the many , many hours they have available in a week.

I don't mind losing to a better team , but I am sick and tired of every set of journeyman waltzing away with 3 points ,often only having to score 1 to do so and very rarely needing more than 2.

Dickov promised players who would run through brick walls IIRC? I'm still waiting for them to arrive.......

We lack leadership and heart. Wesolowski has it, but has rarely shown it. Byrne has it but now isnt playing.....other than that? I'm struggling. We have a captain who barely speaks and as a team we're quiet as mice.

It's not ability that is in question. Its heart for the battle, it's leadership......

Just think Tarky is about the only vocal one, also CI but he didn't get on yesterday. I would start big chris every game thought we missed him yesterday

In answer to the question.

"Started the year with a lot to say and made promises to get head down and concentrate, sadly the words rarely matched the actions and reverted to type. Far too easily distracted by playing away from school, and casual when challenged and despite rare glimpses of promise lacked the desire or commitment to leave with results worth having. It will need an immediate change of attitude if they are not going to be moved down to the bottom set in May. A number of students have been warned numerous times re conduct and having shown no self discipline are almost certain to be permanently excluded at the end of the year."....."The school itself lacks leadership in all areas other than the nursery and a new Governing Body is urgently required to restore faith within the community. A new headteacher is essential to restore discipline and achievement."

Exam result, a C -