Tom Eaves hat trick today

Hindsight is a wonderful thing BP.

Presumably he wasn't "snapped up on loan" because scouting reports didn't suggest he could do anything that existing players couldn't .

Iwelumo or Eaves, If that's really their opinion I'd better make a comeback. :wink:

Edited by BP1960

Because we got Barnard instead, maybe?

Different type of player though, both would have made a good pairing. Iwelumo or Eaves, the decision is yours.

Edited by BP1960

when eaves .was here our fans said he was a donkey .

bolton thought he was worth 300,000

our fans think smith is a donkey

he has a deal lined up in championship

funny how things turn out

Donkeys are an understimated animal.

when eaves .was here our fans said he was a donkey .

bolton thought he was worth 300,000

our fans think smith is a donkey

he has a deal lined up in championship

funny how things turn out

Do you think Smith is a Championship-level footballer?

And I don't think anybody ever said Eaves was a donkey.

3 great goals as well.

Woeful defending for the second but nice finish.

We got an excellent wedge for a player who had never scored a first team goal and hasn't gone on to set the world alight. I'm also not sure he's what we've needed this season anyway.

Claridge likened him to Denis Bergkamp...

Er, next...

He said that his hat-trick resembled one of Bergkamp's hat-tricks!

He's a bad, deluded pundit but he isn't that bad!

With that evaluation of his words you could work for The Sun. :OASISscarf:

Edited by NewBlue

If Smith plays like he did in those few weeks when we played Liverpool and Everton then he can definitely play in the Championship.

And if the rest of the team played like they did against Liverpool and Everton, then Latics would not be in a relegation dogfight.

The fact is, they aren't playing up to that standard and don't seem capable of doing so.

If a Championship team takes Smith on, then good luck to him, as for Tom Eaves, well, maybe Shrewsbury's style of play suits him well and he may, or may not, have scored goals had he gone on loan to Latics. We will never know, but the laws of football dictate that he will score against the Latics if he is on the pitch when the game is eventually played.

Do you think Smith is a Championship-level footballer?

And I don't think anybody ever said Eaves was a donkey.

The thing about Eaves is that some people have been keen to see him fail to make the grade at Bolton to justify Latics selling him so early on in his career. It was the same with Spencer, when many were elated that he turned out to be a bit crap after going to Everton. I'm not saying that Latics were wrong to sell Eaves when they did; I suspect it would have taken at least until now to realise any greater value than we got at the time and so it was probably the right decision to take the money, much as I would have liked to have seen a homegrown striker step up and become a first-team regular.

Eaves has all the attributes you would want in a frontman; he's big, good in the air and bloody skillful too. I think he'll have a better career than Matt Smith, even if Smith is Championship-bound.

I think he'll have a better career than Matt Smith, even if Smith is Championship-bound.

I think you're right - partly because Eaves has benefited from better and more intensive coaching , both as a lad with Latics and at Bolton, than Smith who only entered the full time game much later in life.

BTW Have a look on YouTube at when "Skill School " on SoccerAM was filmed at Latics. Eaves is brilliant.

And look out for a very young Tarky on back row - should have had those ears pinned back as a baby.

Edited by LaticsPete

Were Latics right to sell Eaves when they did? Yes.

Should we have got him back in on loan? I couldn't see a case for it before he joined Shrewsbury?

What if he goes on to be a brilliant player worth millions? So what. Some do. Most don't.