What a massive disappointment he's been goals wise (all round play has been ok).

I couldn't believe it' when we signed him. As good as we could possibly hope to loan at this level in my opinion. I was expecting a 1 in 2 strike rate at least.

Have his lack of headline grabbing performances given us a squeak of getting him permanently though?

I can't see him being In Southampton's plans next season.

Would you want to?

He doesn't get the service he'd get at a club like Bournemouth, neither did Derbyshire or Kuqi for that matter. We could have Van Persie up front but it wouldn't matter as he wouldn't get service.

Barnard I thought was excellent Tuesday with Matt Smith, they had a good understanding together and I'd hope this partnership continued until season end.

Massive improvement Tuesday. Didn't rely on service (prob expecting it wasn't coming) and came to get it instead. Much more involved in play. It wasn't like having 10 men, plus a poacher who may or may not contribute. Try's very hard. I like him. Can't see us signing him for £ reasons

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm afraid he's not one for me.

Seems to have a fair bit of industry, can't knock him for a lack of effort, which is commendable, however in terms of an eye for goal, he hasn't shown anything in my opinion. He's neither a poacher, fox in the box type or target man.

One of those players who seems to get there half a yard after the ball has gone. No doubting he's tried though, but such a low return in goals to games speaks volumes. Maybe a longer run with Smith may have seen better results.

I don't think it's completely unrealistic, but it'd be as big of a coup as getting Kilkenny was from Brummie the second time (given he played quite a few games for them in the Prem the previous couple of seasons). I doubt we'll pull it off, not sure he's out of contract and Southampton would want something back, there's wages, then there's competition.

Make no mistake though, given a full season he'd bag a fair few amount. He's a top player for this level.

No way we'll get him permanently. Bigger clubs at our level would gladly take him and pay him more than we can.

And he would probably score a hell of a lot more goals if he isn't starved of service like he has been here.

It's not as if he has missed lots of stonewall sitters

A full season at this level and a decent supply and he'll score plenty. Incidentally 66% of his goals have come when Iwelumo has been playing (but Iwelumo is awful :wink: ). Play him with Smith/Iwelumo/A.N Other (Big man) and he would be a very decent bet to be top scorer in this league.

The problem is he is still under contract at Southampton so unless they release him no one is able to afford him apart from on loan.

A full season at this level and a decent supply and he'll score plenty. Incidentally 66% of his goals have come when Iwelumo has been playing (but Iwelumo is awful :wink: ). Play him with Smith/Iwelumo/A.N Other (Big man) and he would be a very decent bet to be top scorer in this league.

The problem is he is still under contract at Southampton so unless they release him no one is able to afford him apart from on loan.

Exactly

Barnard in either Swimdons or Bournemouths frontline would bag 30 a season in League 1 easily

I think it's largely down to how we set up going forward. It seems that our plan is to get it down the right and try (try being the operative word) to whip it in the box. Either that or lump it long to Simmo or Smithy dependant on who's on the pitch at the time.

So may times I've seen Barney in acres of room on the edge of the box, just gagging for a ball in to his feet after having made room for himself, which would surely put him in, but we seem to be ignoring this/not aware, and always go for Crofty on the right instead.

Like many have already said, give Barney the right service, and the goals will come......