5 little things that annoy you about Football

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. Still grey areas.

I don't see them really.

The basic principle remains as it ever was (i.e. attacker with less than two defenders between himself and the goal when ball is played is in an offside position) with the only mitigating factor being that the offside will only be given if he gains an advantage from being in that position.

It takes a certain degree of judgement from the referee, but so does awarding a free kick for a foul.

Now to me that seems as simple and as functional as it can be?

That ignores the most confusing element of the rule as it stands, namely what defines a "phase of play".

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

I can't ignore something that isn't there.

Offside rule - the annoying thing is that someone can be ahead of the defence in the middle while the ball is played down the wings. He's not offside because the pass wasn't to him, but he's 2 yards ahead of the defence when the cross comes in.

Other annoying thing for me is how commentators either ignore or include pre premier league stats depending on what suits them. ie talking about all time goals/appearances (that actually only include prem players) but next thing talking about Man Utd's 20 titles.

When someone is in an offside position, but have to run back in order to collect the ball, effectively moving to an 'onside' position.

Yet, this is still offside, even though no advantage was gained what-so-ever.

Annoying.

How are the defenders to know whether to track a runner or not when it's down to interpretation of phases of play? There might be a lot of goals being conceded because they are covering attackers who will be ruled off side if they touch it

I don't see them really.

The basic principle remains as it ever was (i.e. attacker with less than two defenders between himself and the goal when ball is played is in an offside position) with the only mitigating factor being that the offside will only be given if he gains an advantage from being in that position.

It takes a certain degree of judgement from the referee, but so does awarding a free kick for a foul.

Now to me that seems as simple and as functional as it can be?

I can think of at least 4 situations when there are fewer than 2 defenders between the attacker and the goal and he is not offside, there are probably more:

• From a throw in.
  • When the ball is played to him by a defender.
  • When the ball is played backwards to him.
  • A defender who has gone behind the goal line still counts as playing him on.

I suppose I'll have to concede that the offside rule does confuse a lot of people!

Well I guess that proves that commentators and pundits alike are just as confused as I am...

This is what annoys me. It's not just the offside rule either, pundits and commentators will 'quote' statements from the LOTG which aren't there at all! It's almost as if they've never read up on them at all...

When someone is in an offside position, but have to run back in order to collect the ball, effectively moving to an 'onside' position.

Yet, this is still offside, even though no advantage was gained what-so-ever.

Annoying.

Whilst it isn't always the case you can gain an advantage by dragging your marker out of position, that's why it's offside.

I can think of at least 4 situations when there are fewer than 2 defenders between the attacker and the goal and he is not offside, there are probably more:

• From a throw in.
  • When the ball is played to him by a defender.
  • When the ball is played backwards to him.
  • A defender who has gone behind the goal line still counts as playing him on.

But are these confusing or just the basics that 12 year olds playing at school should know?

I may as well add goal kick and corner kick to your list as well.

I suppose I'll have to concede that the offside rule does confuse a lot of people!

This is what annoys me. It's not just the offside rule either, pundits and commentators will 'quote' statements from the LOTG which aren't there at all! It's almost as if they've never read up on them at all...

Whilst it isn't always the case you can gain an advantage by dragging your marker out of position, that's why it's offside.

But are these confusing or just the basics that 12 year olds playing at school should know?

I may as well add goal kick and corner kick to your list as well.

You can be offside from your own goal kick and a corner.

You can be offside from your own goal kick and a corner.

No, you can't.

EDIT: Quote from the LOTG on FIFA.com.

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

Edited by LaticsChris