F.A.O Barry Owen

Based on Barry's statement, Vaughn has approached but not made a formal offer. Should an offer be made then it has to ( a ) pass to good and proper test ( b ) meet the asking price by Corney & ( c ) safeguard the longer term of the club

Would be interested to have clarification on ( c ) even if ( b ) needs to be achieved first.

Regarding ( a ) I do question the validity of this because some have passed this test in the past but wouldn't trust them to run a bath let alone a football club.

Edited by Midsblue

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I think that's bollocks.......Corney has always said he would only sell the club to a person or persons deemed fit and proper and doing so with the best interests of the football club and supporters at heart.

Corney has not been perfect but I really don't believe he would sell the club to any consortium which included this guy!

To be fair, I was hoping for something a bit stronger. It's true that the authorities have their fit-and-proper person test, but everyone in football (surely including you) knows the test is absolute bull:censored:.

The line I was hoping for was something like: Whilst it's all speculation and gossip, there is no way I would ever condone or support the sale of OAFC to people with such obviously terrible reputations. I'll fight this tooth and nail, even if it turns out to be nothing. The Vaughans will take over Oldham Athletic over my dead body.

Textbook Alistair Campbell,that. Exactly what he would have advised Tony Blair to say..... :wink:

Barry and the other Directors will be the last to hear anything. That fact that he has undoubting trust in the owner worries me. It will be a done deal long before it is made known. Money talks.

It's clear from the (inevitable and perhaps understandable) careful wording Barry does know of their interest. Of course, he is subject to confidentiality agreements.

Am very concerned that SC could b tempted by the money, and is just taking time to build some [albeit for me too limted] safeguards.

Maybe Alan Keeling could shed some more light on the matter as according to the BBC website he's a spokesman for the consortium ?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/22755197

Interesting, it states in the article and links to the fact that Vaughan has already (and was the first powner to do so) failed the FA test.

Yet he has been very adept at working his way round it.

The simplest way is to only have 29.9% shareholding.

Am very concerned SC has had anything but the briefest of conversations.

EDIT: They are quoted as saying they wanted to highlight issues that were stumbling blocks, then promply said nothing of the sort!

I think it possible they have been knocked back, and are using the media to force SC's hand, hopefully wrongly assuming that people would be glad of other backers other than SC.

Hopefully they are arrogant enough to think that it would not matter who it was. It does not make sense them briefing of a bid, knowing the backlash against any Vuaghan fronted bid.

Edited by singe

Ive just had a walk around Piethorne and Ogden and I have another take on it now. The speculation is rather healthy for the club as it may force the hand of any potential interested parties. Barry Chatow had serious backers. You never know, the club and town has evolved quite well this year, TV appearances, stand development... Nows the time to take a punt.

Ive just had a walk around Piethorne and Ogden and I have another take on it now. The speculation is rather healthy for the club as it may force the hand of any potential interested parties. Barry Chatow had serious backers. You never know, the club and town has evolved quite well this year, TV appearances, stand development... Nows the time to take a punt.

Fingers crossed

To be fair, I was hoping for something a bit stronger. It's true that the authorities have their fit-and-proper person test, but everyone in football (surely including you) knows the test is absolute bull:censored:.

The line I was hoping for was something like: Whilst it's all speculation and gossip, there is no way I would ever condone or support the sale of OAFC to people with such obviously terrible reputations. I'll fight this tooth and nail, even if it turns out to be nothing. The Vaughans will take over Oldham Athletic over my dead body.

Bang on.

Is all of this based on one tweet from GMR that has not been followed by any supporting evidence?

I think its also the fact that some respected posters on here have heard rumours of SV lending the club money, As you said, its all pure speculation.

No there's a direct quote on the BBC website from the consortium's spokesperson Alan Keeling

Thanks.

Not sure what point you were making to my other post!

Edited by jsslatic

Is all of this based on one tweet from GMR that has not been followed by any supporting evidence?

No there's a direct quote on the BBC website from the consortium's spokesperson Alan Keeling

Thanks.

Not sure what point you were making to my other post!

I think prozac means the evidence is clear, GMR got its info from the horses mouth, the Consortiums spokesman, of their interest and months of negs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22755197

Do you honestly think SC would turn down an offer meeting or exceeding his asking price even if the bidder couldn't guarantee the long-term future of the club or there were doubts?!

Call me a cynic but he'd take the money and run.