Also one reason why England may never get a major competiton at both the last World Cup and European Championships fans where allowed to drink in the stands. I doubt the local police forces would allow it over here.

Isn't alcohol often banned from European club games e.g. Champs League inside the grounds? Edited by jimsleftfoot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, alcohol is banned for Champions League games,European and World Cup Qualifiers (cant say about finals as I've never been)

As for Germany - was at Hertha v Schalke last Saturday and Chelsea v Schalke last night and the atmosphere generated is far beyond anything you'd get in England. Only with the reintroduction of standing will the noise ramp up. Although saying that I had a seat for both of those games (I only used the one at Hertha to stand on when we banged in the 2nd in the 94th minute and the Chelsea one not at all) . Such a shame you lot have the love in with Eintracht Frankfurt but hey,ho - no accounting for taste :chubb:

last night there was no choreography (Chelsea wouldnt have it) and I would wager it was still the loudest set of away fans at Chelsea for many many years. To see a team lose 3-0!

ps - do see your point about an English crowd in full flow but how often does that happen? We need terraces and we need them now!

Edited by help_shiny

yes, alcohol is banned for Champions League games,European and World Cup Qualifiers (cant say about finals as I've never been)

As for Germany - was at Hertha v Schalke last Saturday and Chelsea v Schalke last night and the atmosphere generated is far beyond anything you'd get in England. Only with the reintroduction of standing will the noise ramp up. Although saying that I had a seat for both of those games (I only used the one at Hertha to stand on when we banged in the 2nd in the 94th minute and the Chelsea one not at all) . Such a shame you lot have the love in with Eintracht Frankfurt but hey,ho - no accounting for taste :chubb:

I saw Frankfurt at Monchengladbach (in the Gladbach end) the other weekend. They were dreadful. Latics fans would have a lot in common in that respect.

Also saw Leverkusen at home to Augsburg.

Both games had a good atmosphere but the positives are certainly the ability to stand and enjoy a beer watching the game rather than the orchestrated chanting (for me anyway).

I saw Frankfurt at Monchengladbach (in the Gladbach end) the other weekend. They were dreadful. Latics fans would have a lot in common in that respect.

Also saw Leverkusen at home to Augsburg.

Both games had a good atmosphere but the positives are certainly the ability to stand and enjoy a beer watching the game rather than the orchestrated chanting (for me anyway).

for me it's a combination of several things - the atmosphere,the good mates I've made,the drinking,having a fag if you feel like it too.The whole matchday experience pees all over anything in England.

I still take far more joy in seeing Latics score a goal than S04 but the whole day out/experience thing is poles apart. I genuinely cant see why normal folk on normal wages go to watch Premier League football - dreadful prices & a bland experience. Yeah, the football is sometimes decent but football's about more than that!

ps - do see your point about an English crowd in full flow but how often does that happen?

At Pompey Vs Exeter this Saturday the atmosphere was fairly decent (as it usually is at Fratton Park) but not special for the 1st 70 minutes from both sets of fans even though Pompey were 3-0 up.

Then the Exeter fans started up their Adam Stansfield tribute chant, kept it going for 5 minutes and when they made it 3-1 they kept chanting through it only getting louder. 10 minutes later with the chant still going Exeter got their 2nd to a mix of the chant and celebration.

This reawakened the Pompey fans and for the last 5 minutes + the 6 of injury time the whole stadium was a cacophony of noise and nervous tension from all sides of the near full ground. It might sound strange but it almost felt like the spiritual aspect of the Stansfield chant was like a 12th man to the team and drove them on to greater things*.

Not heard anything like it for a long time and it's the type of organic atmosphere that English games can produce and is seldom matched.

*of course I might be reading WAY too much into it, but it felt incredibly poignant.