• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rail seating, as the pro safe standing campaign is promoting, would do so much for the chaddy end in terms of appeal, capacity, atmosphere, comfort and support for the players.

Presently the seats are packed in tighter than any other part of the ground, and since 1991 when they were installed, we haven't for any smaller!

Back in the 80's I used to love standing on the Chaddy End, it was noisy, provided a good view regardless of the pillars, and created a real togetherness.

Like all all-seater stadia, we are too disparate around the ground, and when there are only 3,500 of us, that cannot be good for the encouragement of the team.

If standing stadia are 'unsafe' why is there standing at rugby grounds?

http://www.fsf.org.u...standing-facts/

Because football fans can't be trusted to stand up properly. It sez so in the Taylor Report - a report partly based on the fabrications of Eppings Lane, and is now impossible to get rid of because it's protected from up on high with the factoid that there have been no major incidents since the legislation was brought into force.

Football's shining light is the Bundesliga and everything that it touches, I fear that it is too late for the FA to emulate or at least take on board their view of the sport.

There will always be a risk with standing areas. The safety of seated areas is that there is a seat for each supporter. No matter what safeguards are put in place human error the Police can always be relied upon to cock things up eg Hillsborough.

ftfy

The problem at Hillsborough has now officially been placed squarely upon poor policing so there is no good reason to continue the all seater stadium diktat. The problem might be that some clubs see this as a way of increasing capacity. The argument and practice should be that fans want to stand so remove the seats and let them but keep the capacity per sq ft the same. Authorities could set a minimum area per supporter.

The next thing we will be asking for is to be able to have a drink whilst watching the game!

The problem at Hillsborough has now officially been placed squarely upon poor policing so there is no good reason to continue the all seater stadium diktat. The problem might be that some clubs see this as a way of increasing capacity. The argument and practice should be that fans want to stand so remove the seats and let them but keep the capacity per sq ft the same. Authorities could set a minimum area per supporter.

The next thing we will be asking for is to be able to have a drink whilst watching the game!

Might even take it to the extreme and have no segregation.

Rugby do it, why not football? (For some games at least)

Hands On:

" ". . . and a steaming-hot meat and potato pie bought at halftime on a wet Saturday afternoon at Oldham Athletic's football ground is more massive than the same uneaten pie at the end of the game.

Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw"

Que? Is that something to do with quantum physics?

BTW - Safe Standing? Yes.

Edited by laticsrblue

There will always be a risk with standing areas. The safety of seated areas is that there is a seat for each supporter. No matter what safeguards are put in place human error can always be relied upon to cock things up eg Hillsborough.

I could have been badly hurt at Scunny when we equalised through Super Gaz, and if i'd gone there were 10 coming with me. I still have a hint of shoulder damage from the Everton equalizer. I wouldn't swap either moment for the world but please don't tell me terraced seats are all that safe

00058955-leadimage.jpg

Near sell out crowd at my Australian teams ground. On the right, difficult to see under the 20,000 ish crowd, is the hill - yep a grassy embankment. No seat, not even concrete terraces with barriers just a plain old steep grass hill. There are many other grounds just like this in Australia.

No enforced segregation between home /away fans

No fences to stop you running on to the ground.

You can even buy cans of beer.

there are plenty of stewards on hand in case of an emergency and because occasionally there is a drunken idiot or hoon but they are dealt with straight away

It's amazing that being treated like adults produces adult like behavior.

yet us naughty soccer fans must have a seat - nanny state mentality :thumbsdown:

http://www.fsf.org.u...standing-facts/

Because football fans can't be trusted to stand up properly. It sez so in the Taylor Report - a report partly based on the fabrications of Eppings Lane, and is now impossible to get rid of because it's protected from up on high with the factoid that there have been no major incidents since the legislation was brought into force.

Football's shining light is the Bundesliga and everything that it touches, I fear that it is too late for the FA to emulate or at least take on board their view of the sport.

The government have done it this week. Look we have put a speed camera in that place where there was randomly an accident once. And no :censored: Sherlock there haven't been any since.

PC nonsense, football fans having their money milked each week and the FA still not giving a :censored: about what we think - same old.

Can't even think of a stadium here that doesn't have a terrace... Even Union Berlin have only one stand designated for sitting.

It's political correctness gone mad, Stew.

There will always be a risk with standing areas. The safety of seated areas is that there is a seat for each supporter. No matter what safeguards are put in place human error can always be relied upon to cock things up eg Hillsborough.

There's no problems with this format of standing anywhere it's used. That's what FSF/Stand AMF are saying and no one seems to be listening, Hillsborough has nothing to do with the rail seating. Instead it seems quite a cheap argument. If the Government did allow this, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem for the sitters.

There's a whole generation of people confusing political correctness with health and safety regulations.

Back in the old days you could get your whole family and you could jump in a threshing machine and dance around, all your arms and legs would fly off and it was fine - and now they're going "oh, they've banned Christmas".

The problem at Hillsborough has now officially been placed squarely upon poor policing so there is no good reason to continue the all seater stadium diktat.

That doesn't stack up. A future copper could make the same :censored: up.

That's not to say I disagree with this initiative. But some (not all) of the stuff in the Taylor report made sense.