If standing stadia are 'unsafe' why is there standing at rugby grounds?

A lot of football grouds still have it in the lower divisions.

Why is is safe for one ground with a 6000 crowd and some standing any different from Latics 4000 all seated !!!!!!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question is would you pay the prices you do now to stand up at a game?

That infers that you are currently paying top dollar to sit down, which you are of course - but it's not the reason why. There is price is not derived from whether you're on your arse on not. The price is set on greed and wage budgets.

That specifically is a political rather than a safety issue.

Then it shows that all seater is not on a safety issue basis at all.

The whole thing was a complete over reaction after Hillsborough which has now been proven to be one mass cover up.

It should be scrapped and clubs allowed to bring in controlled standing.

Then it shows that all seater is not on a safety issue basis at all.

The whole thing was a complete over reaction after Hillsborough which has now been proven to be one mass cover up.

It should be scrapped and clubs allowed to bring in controlled standing.

Well seating is safer than old standing, that much is true, but the idea that seating is better than rail standing is flawed, if people are going to stand anyway.

As for it being a political issue, I support safe standing but I think it's probably bad timing at the moment and your looking at 10 years before the government will listen to the argument. The key thing is that the Hillsborough Families and Liverpool won't support standing in any form.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I personally don't want to stand up-been there done that! I find it hard work these days,maybe i have gone soft with age!

The campaign isn't for all standing stadia though, just standing areas. So if you still think the fans should have a choice - even if your choice would be a seat - it's still worth backing the campaign. :OASISscarf:

Rail seating, as the pro safe standing campaign is promoting, would do so much for the chaddy end in terms of appeal, capacity, atmosphere, comfort and support for the players.

I'd rather have this than nothing but it will never be the same as "real" standing - with which 99.99% of games passed off without incident.

A lot of football grouds still have it in the lower divisions.

Why is is safe for one ground with a 6000 crowd and some standing any different from Latics 4000 all seated !!!!!!!!!

The reality is Morecambe, Burton know the odds are they will never make it to the holy grail of the Premier League maybe in years to come do Yeovil, in the meantime they build grounds to meet there own ambitions and which appeal to fans.

why, whenever this topic comes up do so many people bang on about how they wouldnt be able to stand up and they dont like it and....hold on, why the f is this underlined? Ah, that's why. Right, as I was saying - you WILL NOT be forced to stand up, you can still sit on your little plastic piece of paradise. If other people want to risk their stupid lives watching football in a vertical position what's the problem? Eh? EH?

My recent Bundesliga escapades have taught me the valuable lesson that my knees truly are f'd and I should, if possible, remain seated - that and the fact I'm an unfit fat knacker. I think it's great that those who want to stand up might be able to do so and therefore leave me in peace to sit without having to stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, stand up. It would also finally rid of us of the problem of the scruffy young tearaway, sweary types being mixed with the opera going Daily Mail reading middle classes which so often causes upset.

Let da kids have fun you old goats. Yes, some of them will carry bruises from being smashed in the face by their friends when they score a goal - the odd ankle might be broken but you could get DVT sitting in the Main Stand at Latics and memories of hurling about in the old Chaddy are some of my fondest. Ah, when I was a boy........am I rambling now?

edit - and while I'm on one - Hillsborough has as much relevance to a new standing area at Latics as Bradford has to us sitting down for the past 20 years.

Edited by help_shiny

• 4 months later...

What often gets missed when people rave about the atmosphere at German games is that they're also treated as human beings and allowed to drink where they stand.

One thing i prefere in England to over in Germany was when the Germans sang alot of it came from a guy with a megaphone where in England alot of it is spurred on from different people.

What often gets missed when people rave about the atmosphere at German games is that they're also treated as human beings and allowed to drink where they stand.

Also one reason why England may never get a major competiton at both the last World Cup and European Championships fans where allowed to drink in the stands. I doubt the local police forces would allow it over here.