• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you carefully read my post again you will notice that I never suggested that wanting your club to do well in the league and two competitions was madness, quite the opposite in fact.

In reality we are not going to win either the FA Cup or League Cup this season, promotion isn't exactly the likeliest of circumstances either. We will still strive to achieve this though, so why this antipathy to the JPT in particular?

The JPT is the best chance Latics will have to lift a trophy for the next five years at least. Now I understand it isn't exactly playing against Manchester United in an FA Cup semi final, but some of us have no recollection of that, and quite frankly if come the end of this season we're lower mid table but I've had a trip to the smoke to see a Latics captain lift a trophy at Wembley I'll be absolutely beside myself as it will be hands down the most successful season I've seen in my time supporting Latics and the club's most successful since dropping out of the top division.

Actively not wanting to succeed is just anathema to me. Football is, ultimately, about winning. Winning anything and everything possible. So lets try to win the bloody thing.

This /\

This a thousand times this...

If you carefully read my post again you will notice that I never suggested that wanting your club to do well in the league and two competitions was madness, quite the opposite in fact.

In reality we are not going to win either the FA Cup or League Cup this season, promotion isn't exactly the likeliest of circumstances either. We will still strive to achieve this though, so why this antipathy to the JPT in particular?

The JPT is the best chance Latics will have to lift a trophy for the next five years at least. Now I understand it isn't exactly playing against Manchester United in an FA Cup semi final, but some of us have no recollection of that, and quite frankly if come the end of this season we're lower mid table but I've had a trip to the smoke to see a Latics captain lift a trophy at Wembley I'll be absolutely beside myself as it will be hands down the most successful season I've seen in my time supporting Latics and the club's most successful since dropping out of the top division.

Actively not wanting to succeed is just anathema to me. Football is, ultimately, about winning. Winning anything and everything possible. So lets try to win the bloody thing.

See how many of the last 20 FA Cup winners you can name without Googling.

Then try the same for the JPT.

Shall I do the same for the Champions League, US Open and Olympic 100m Freestyle as well? Because we've just as much chance of winning them.

If I understand your implication then I don't think you actually read my post. I acknowledge that the JPT is an inferior competition to the FA Cup and I suppose to a promotion campaign, but it's our level. What on earth makes us suddenly believe that the JPT is beneath us? We've never won a cup! NEVER! Our highest league finish came when a half time woodbine was considered good form for professional footballers, the first of our two 'recent' promotions came before Wigan Athletic (current FA Cup holders) were even elected into the Football League and when our last promotion came I was munching on rusks and "Email" was something a Yorkshireman said when the postman was walking up the path.

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy is a - arguably the only - trophy that is within the grasp of Oldham Athletic. We should aim to win it, otherwise I don't know what we're all doing here.

And? If we got to Wembley for the JPT final there would be many a latics fan who would remember it for the first time they got to see Oldham play at Wembley, even after supporting them for well over a decade. The only other way that will ever happen is through the playoffs.

And? If we got to Wembley for the JPT final there would be many a latics fan who would remember it for the first time they got to see Oldham play at Wembley, even after supporting them for well over a decade. The only other way that will ever happen is through the playoffs.

Or the League Cup.

Look at Bradford.

Shall I do the same for the Champions League, US Open and Olympic 100m Freestyle as well? Because we've just as much chance of winning them.

If I understand your implication then I don't think you actually read my post. I acknowledge that the JPT is an inferior competition to the FA Cup and I suppose to a promotion campaign, but it's our level. What on earth makes us suddenly believe that the JPT is beneath us? We've never won a cup! NEVER! Our highest league finish came when a half time woodbine was considered good form for professional footballers, the first of our two 'recent' promotions came before Wigan Athletic (current FA Cup holders) were even elected into the Football League and when our last promotion came I was munching on rusks and "Email" was something a Yorkshireman said when the postman was walking up the path.

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy is a - arguably the only - trophy that is within the grasp of Oldham Athletic. We should aim to win it, otherwise I don't know what we're all doing here.

Top post & sums up my thoughts on the JPT.

I've not been to the new Wembley stadium. My thoughts are that i will when Latics play there. Realistically, the competition that best lends itself to that happening is the JPT.

How many of the fans that scoff about it would still have been buying tickets for the outright Final had we not shirked it and lost to Chesterfield in the area final? Most I would say.

If we get to Wembley and win it, pretty sure no-one will be complaining...

Top post & sums up my thoughts on the JPT.

I've not been to the new Wembley stadium. My thoughts are that i will when Latics play there. Realistically, the competition that best lends itself to that happening is the JPT.

How many of the fans that scoff about it would still have been buying tickets for the outright Final had we not shirked it and lost to Chesterfield in the area final? Most I would say.

If we get to Wembley and win it, pretty sure no-one will be complaining...

All that aside, would you be bothered if the Football League stopped it as of next season?

All that aside, would you be bothered if the Football League stopped it as of next season?

Yeah I would.

Am i realistically going to see us at Wembley in the final of the League Cup or the FA Cup? I highly doubt it.

Could we reach the final of the JPT? Hell yeah. We've reached the area finals twice in recent years, it's the next step.

Would I want to see my side lift some silverwear, at Wembley, in the spotlight on Sky TV, raising our profile and giving a boost to the club? Feck yeah.

But yeah, :censored:e no mark competition, we should lose on purpose and go out in the 1st round.

Yeah I would.

Am i realistically going to see us at Wembley in the final of the League Cup or the FA Cup? I highly doubt it.

Could we reach the final of the JPT? Hell yeah. We've reached the area finals twice in recent years, it's the next step.

Would I want to see my side lift some silverwear, at Wembley, in the spotlight on Sky TV, raising our profile and giving a boost to the club? Feck yeah.

But yeah, :censored:e no mark competition, we should lose on purpose and go out in the 1st round.

I'm not that bothered about the other cups either - promotion is the be all and end all for me.

You will never know just how good Jo Brand is between the sheets then.

I love the way she makes the same jokes about men that men make about women, but changes the bits about women to be about men.

Only issue with that is the jokes were never funny when they were about women.

laticschris has made about 3 or 4 very accurate posts and some of you are mocking him as though he is wrong... this one isnt about opinions it's about fact, we have a chance of wembley and a trophy with the JPT without it we realistically don't have that! mock the tournament all you want, if we get to the final your bum will be on a seat at wembley

laticschris has made about 3 or 4 very accurate posts and some of you are mocking him as though he is wrong... this one isnt about opinions it's about fact, we have a chance of wembley and a trophy with the JPT without it we realistically don't have that! mock the tournament all you want, if we get to the final your bum will be on a seat at wembley

But, if we don't get to Wembley, as we haven't done every season we've taken part, it will feel like a massive waste of time & effort and - last season apart maybe - cost us money.

This doesn't mean I want us to lose. But I won't give much of a :censored: if/when we do.