• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care. Rubbish competition. Hope we get knocked out in the first round.

Yeah, it's a bit of a non-event this, well until it gets to the regional finals or whatever. Probably best that Oldham clear this one out of their fixture list.

Preferably someone who's had a terrible start to the season at home. It's a winnable competition, we should aim to go as far as possible. Even if ultimately we don't win it but have a run, winning in any competition can become a habit. Actually wanting your club to not bother with a tournament is bordering on insanity, like going to a game and hoping Latics don't score.

Preferably someone who's had a terrible start to the season at home. It's a winnable competition, we should aim to go as far as possible. Even if ultimately we don't win it but have a run, winning in any competition can become a habit. Actually wanting your club to not bother with a tournament is bordering on insanity, like going to a game and hoping Latics don't score.

Wanting your club to do as well as possible in the league and the 2 "proper" cup competitions is not madness. No money from gate receipts and the possibility of picking up injuries and suspensions means, in my opinion, we are better off out of it. Although it did give mini Shez the opportunity to get a full set of red cards.

Yes we might get injuries or suspensions but I just don't get the thinking of wanting us to get knocked out of a competition - basically wanting us to lose a match. Can only have a negative effect on confidence.

I hope that sort of mentality is nowhere near Lee Johnson or the players. We need a winning mentality for every game we play if we want to try and have anything other than a season where we finish in league 1 no mans land again.

I want us to win it, it’s a professional trophy and we haven’t won one in a while, so we should try and win it. Hopefully a trip to Wembley would get the players and the town hungry. Though if LJ isn’t interested, I hope he uses it as a chance to blood youngsters, I’d rather that than an half arsed attempt.

Wanting your club to do as well as possible in the league and the 2 "proper" cup competitions is not madness. No money from gate receipts and the possibility of picking up injuries and suspensions means, in my opinion, we are better off out of it. Although it did give mini Shez the opportunity to get a full set of red cards.

If you carefully read my post again you will notice that I never suggested that wanting your club to do well in the league and two competitions was madness, quite the opposite in fact.

In reality we are not going to win either the FA Cup or League Cup this season, promotion isn't exactly the likeliest of circumstances either. We will still strive to achieve this though, so why this antipathy to the JPT in particular?

The JPT is the best chance Latics will have to lift a trophy for the next five years at least. Now I understand it isn't exactly playing against Manchester United in an FA Cup semi final, but some of us have no recollection of that, and quite frankly if come the end of this season we're lower mid table but I've had a trip to the smoke to see a Latics captain lift a trophy at Wembley I'll be absolutely beside myself as it will be hands down the most successful season I've seen in my time supporting Latics and the club's most successful since dropping out of the top division.

Actively not wanting to succeed is just anathema to me. Football is, ultimately, about winning. Winning anything and everything possible. So lets try to win the bloody thing.

• 4 weeks later...