trialists thanks but no thanks

It was always going to a risk and one that might not pay off taking players from a different country and from a low level in that country.

It hasn't worked out. No issues, they go back home and we move on.

Onto finding these CB & RB starters now LDJ; get on with it!!!

Onto finding these CB & RB starters now LDJ; get on with it!!!

Why do you think he will sign a new RD?? He just offered our first choice right back a new 1 year deal and increased terms and also confirm that he wants CW to move into that position......

Why do you think he will sign a new RD?? He just offered our first choice right back a new 1 year deal and increased terms and also confirm that he wants CW to move into that position......

Eurgh, I've been over this with you.

Because we're short there, and need strengthening. Connor Brown is a weak link, and his back up is Carl Winchester, who is a make shift RB at best. We are weak at RB, therefore IMO we need a RB in. Its not hard to understand what I'm saying, I've said the same thing now on several posts??

Connor Brown getting a pay rise isn't related to him starting or not either, as he was on such a really low wage last season, his pay rise now just means he's on a low wage for this year, not a really low one. Sod all to do with whether he'll be a 1st choice or no, more to do with keeping him (and Glenn B also) motivated and feeling wanted.

so, as I say, stil a 1st choice CB and a 1st choice RB needed; and along with Rooney, that's us pretty much done then.

I tell you now we will not sign a right back.....LJ said today 1 signing possibly 2, 1 Loan centre half and the latvian.

PS - Why would you give a pay increase to a player that the club had the option on (money already agreed) who isnt your 1st choice RB, thats called wasting your budget.

Don't see us signing another full back on permament basis, Brown will start season there but easy enough to pick up loanee in that position.

We are really looking weak at centre half though, at least 2 needed there, preferably whom can be starters straight away.

He says in the interview that he is looking at 1 maybe 2 more then he is happy with what he has got. My question, within the last week, of the 3 mentioned (Loan Centre Half, Latvian kid and Adam Rooney) who is the 1 and possibly 2 signings we are going to see. We are obviously lacking at the back but I also fear upfront as well.

I tell you now we will not sign a right back.....LJ said today 1 signing possibly 2, 1 Loan centre half and the latvian.

PS - Why would you give a pay increase to a player that the club had the option on (money already agreed) who isnt your 1st choice RB, thats called wasting your budget.

I'm led to believe that Brown was on the joint lowest wage of all the squad last season, on less money wage wise than Millar, Mellor, Winchester etc.

As he will get 1st team games this season, his wage has been brought more into line with that.

A good bit of player management that, even if I happen to think he shouldn't be starting games for us at present.....he'll feel more valued and wanted, and also he has more money (not much more mind, he hasn't had that big of a rise) over last season.

I don't for one moment read into it that it was because LDJ sees him as the only RB for the whole season and he's a guaranteed starter, more that he saw a young lad earning a poor wage in comparison to the other young players and has acted accordingly in raising his wage slightly.

We are weak at RB. Connor Brown and Carl Winchester as the options is weak. Weaker than last season, that's why we IMO need another option there.

I keep saying we need a CB and a RB. If we could double up and a sign a defender comfortable at both positions; then I'd rest a little easier than right now. Think our right flank is exposed as things stand, it lacks both quality and depth.

Eurgh, I've been over this with you.

Because we're short there, and need strengthening. Connor Brown is a weak link, and his back up is Carl Winchester, who is a make shift RB at best. We are weak at RB, therefore IMO we need a RB in. Its not hard to understand what I'm saying, I've said the same thing now on several posts??

Connor Brown getting a pay rise isn't related to him starting or not either, as he was on such a really low wage last season, his pay rise now just means he's on a low wage for this year, not a really low one. Sod all to do with whether he'll be a 1st choice or no, more to do with keeping him (and Glenn B also) motivated and feeling wanted.

so, as I say, stil a 1st choice CB and a 1st choice RB needed; and along with Rooney, that's us pretty much done then.

I'd love us to sign a better right back (or better player in any position) but, if not, Brown will be fine.

I would take a 'younger' Steven Caulker now, he went to Yeovil as an 18 year old, then moved up to Bristol City and then Swansea, and is now finding his way into Spurs first team squads and International recognition.

What about Scott Wootton at Man Utd, played on loan for Tranmere, Peterborough and Forest so far, aged 21. Or someone a wee bit younger, Nicholas Ioannou, 18 years old, again at Man Utd, Cypriot with bags of potential.

Over at City, Kieran Kennedy, local centre half, 20 years old this September, capped by England u19's.

But one who could really ruffle some feathers is City's u18 captain George Swan, Peter's son. George was on Leeds's books before City.

Edited by alex_balls

I'm led to believe that Brown was on the joint lowest wage of all the squad last season, on less money wage wise than Millar, Mellor, Winchester etc.

As he will get 1st team games this season, his wage has been brought more into line with that.

A good bit of player management that, even if I happen to think he shouldn't be starting games for us at present.....he'll feel more valued and wanted, and also he has more money (not much more mind, he hasn't had that big of a rise) over last season.

I don't for one moment read into it that it was because LDJ sees him as the only RB for the whole season and he's a guaranteed starter, more that he saw a young lad earning a poor wage in comparison to the other young players and has acted accordingly in raising his wage slightly.

We are weak at RB. Connor Brown and Carl Winchester as the options is weak. Weaker than last season, that's why we IMO need another option there.

I keep saying we need a CB and a RB. If we could double up and a sign a defender comfortable at both positions; then I'd rest a little easier than right now. Think our right flank is exposed as things stand, it lacks both quality and depth.

Except Wabara on loan for a short while last season, are we not in exactly the same position as last season just that Connor Brown has had an extra seasons experience.

Really feel sorry for this lad, he doesnt have the attacking ability Wabara had, but defensively I dont remember him making many mistakes whereas I remember a fair few goals coming via Wabaras dodgy defensive ability. We compare him to Wabara, but if he was that good he wouldnt be our player, hes a good standard for us and will be a steady RB for us. Unfortunately having had Eardley/Lee/Wabara in recent seasons we have been lucky and I can see the wankers in the George Hill who need to moan at someone picking this lad as he will be directly in front of them for 45 minutes.

Hes young and as far as I can see has done very well stepping into the team, unfortunately some Latics fans think we should be playing Premier League youth players instead of getting behind and developing our own kids.

Edited by youngen

Is this why Johnson is playing Mellor at CB, coz he's got a good choice of CMs but not CBs so he's trying to convert?

Current CBs

Tarky

Byrne

Glenn

Latvian Eddie to sign?

Mellor to convert?

RBs

Brown

Winchester to convert

LBs

Grounds

Truelove

Edited by Channel M

Is this why Johnson is playing Mellor at CB, coz he's got a good choice of CMs but not CBs so he's trying to convert?

Current CBs

Tarky

Byrne

Glenn

Latvian Eddie to sign?

Mellor to convert?

RBs

Brown

Winchester to convert

LBs

Grounds

Truelove

Mellor can play LB

CB definitely has to be the priority, if this CB can also cover at RB then even better.

I wouldn't be too worried if brown starts as first choice, but I don't see Winchester as adequate replacement at RB.

If we manage to get Rooney in then I'm happy with our forward options.

CB is key for me now.

Except Wabara on loan for a short while last season, are we not in exactly the same position as last season just that Connor Brown has had an extra seasons experience.

Really feel sorry for this lad, he doesnt have the attacking ability Wabara had, but defensively I dont remember him making many mistakes whereas I remember a fair few goals coming via Wabaras dodgy defensive ability. We compare him to Wabara, but if he was that good he wouldnt be our player, hes a good standard for us and will be a steady RB for us. Unfortunately having had Eardley/Lee/Wabara in recent seasons we have been lucky and I can see the wankers in the George Hill who need to moan at someone picking this lad as he will be directly in front of them for 45 minutes.

Hes young and as far as I can see has done very well stepping into the team, unfortunately some Latics fans think we should be playing Premier League youth players instead of getting behind and developing our own kids.

Nice.

Also, I wouldn't class him as one of 'our' kids, we got him from Sheff Utd.