Our Greatest Captain

Prostate Cancer UK in their partnership with the Football League, have asked me to follow up my Greatest Number 9 Article from last season by writing another short piece on our Greatest Ever Captains.

Out of interest who are your top 3 and why? I'll take opinions into account when I write the article this weekend...

Milligan_ captain in our only cup final, part of most successful team ever bar 1 season, the original yard dog!

Earl- championship winning captain - record sale and England international while here

And Dux - years of great service, good lower league player and good coach. Never gave up on anything

No particular order for the first 2

Edited by palmer1

Paul Murray in 2003/04 season has to be up there. His Beckhamesque leadership in those final games was immense. Ran every inch of the pitch, was involved in everything and dragged the others up to his level. Stand out moment for me when we were in the dip of depression post the Torex swindler.

Dux up there too.

As i've only been watching properly since around 95/96 onwards, Lee Duxbury for me, absolute leader and true legend at Latics, special moments such as Wigan away and City away live long in the memory.

He's the leader of the Latics and his name is Duxbury.

Wigan January 7th 2000 - Wigan's first league game lost at the DW and on Sky to boot. Remember buying an ondigital box especially so I could watch.

Great night. Me and chrisA. Only kids but what a feeling! Remember thinking united and city? Nah this is the real deal!

I remember the music from that night. They played Keep on Moving by Five in the stadium after the match. Not something I would normally like but makes me smile now everytime I hear it. Then got home to watch the match again on Sky and they used Lucky Man by Verve for the closer with slow mo shots of Stitch celebrating. Good times.

1. Dux

2. Gregan

3. Milligan

Dux was fantastic, not technically the most gifted but never gave up on everything, led by example and always popped up with a goal when needed, loved his goal at Maine road

I wonder if in general good captains go on to be good managers ?

I wonder if in general good captains go on to be good managers ?

Dux was getting lots of praise when he first started working with the kids here, and managed to stay on here through a few manager changes will be interesting to see if he manages to get on anywhere else.

I think greegs may well be a decent coach given the chance