Starting XI for Stevenage

I have a feeling that unless the loan CB comes in; LJ will go with Mellor at CB.

Looks like Rooney may not be signed up in time, so i expect Charlie Mac will get nod ahead of JCH.

Montano has to start, so either Dayton or Sidney for the RW...and I think Dayton will get the nod.

I generally err on the side of caution so this would be my team:

Oxley

Brown

Byrne

Tarkowski

Grounds

Dayton/Schmeltz (not seen either so I can't judge).

Smith

Wesolowski (or Mellor if Wes is unfit)

Montano

Baxter

MacDonald (Rooney if available)

That's probably the most experienced and wily team we could put out to match their threat and while the back 4 and 2 in centre mid are quite defensive minded we'll still have the pace and creativity of the wingers and Baxter as well as a hard worker leading the line in MacDonald.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson wants to make a statement and play exciting football, taking the game to them:

Oxley

Brown

Byrne

Tarky

Grounds

Dayton/Schmeltz

Smith

Baxter

Montano

MacDonald

Clarke-Harris (Rooney if available)

I wouldn't complain about that team, although I think putting Mellor in at CB would cross the line between exciting football and naivety.

I have a feeling that unless the loan CB comes in; LJ will go with Mellor at CB.

Looks like Rooney may not be signed up in time, so i expect Charlie Mac will get nod ahead of JCH.

Montano has to start, so either Dayton or Sidney for the RW...and I think Dayton will get the nod.

Have Dayton or Sydney done enough to merit a start ?

---------------Oxley----------------

Brown--Byrne--Tarky--Grounds

---------Smith---Mellor------------

Dayton-------------------Montano

--------------Baxter----------------

----------Clarke-Harris------------

What if Rooney signs?

----------------Oxley----------------

------------Wesolowski------------

----------------Smith----------------

---JCH--------Baxter----Montano

---------------Rooney--------------

Pains me to leave out Mellor, Dayton, Schmeltz and MacDonald but from what I've seen and heard about it's the best line-up we have. Also it's great to have so many options and reinforcements spare.

----------------Oxley----------------

------------Wesolowski------------

----------------Smith----------------

---JCH--------Baxter----Montano

---------------Rooney--------------

Pains me to leave out Mellor, Dayton, Schmeltz and MacDonald but from what I've seen and heard about it's the best line-up we have. Also it's great to have so many options and reinforcements spare.

Looks ok.

Have Dayton or Sydney done enough to merit a start ?

Sidney was MoM vs Curzon, has scored, and I'm told has looked good in flashes. I saw his cameo on saturday and he has pace to burn. Definately something to build on.

Dayton has set up 2 goals, and it appears is taking our corners.

Unless with signed James Milner without me noticing, 1 of the 2 of them will surely be starting, and purely down to experience at this stage (granted gained in SPL) i think Dayton will get the nod.

Seems quite a few worry about sid's defensive part of his game, which I can understand but for me he's a skillful winger with pace to burn. I think it's just a case of adapting formations so he doesn't need to defend and can concentrate on what he's best at. Maybe 4231 with two holding midfielders allowing them to help the full backs or 433 with the wide cm's doing the job. Either way many teams play with wingers who aren't the best defenders. Walcott and Ronaldo spring to mind.

Always looks like a player that's short on confidence does Brown, seems to just play a lot of sideways and backward passes lately. Often you see him link up with the right winger, and have acres of space to run into but he just doesn't make the run.

Always looks like a player that's short on confidence does Brown, seems to just play a lot of sideways and backward passes lately. Often you see him link up with the right winger, and have acres of space to run into but he just doesn't make the run.

I entirely agree with this, my feeling is that he has no confidence in the cross he would put in so he makes sure he doesn't have to. Room for improvement there but he can defend.