Centre back priority ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anybody say Tarky was :censored: tonight? Thought he FULLY warranted MOM. Every corner was straight on his bonce, he spread the ball around superbly and gave us time and a bit of calm to the back 4.

Hmm. Derby should have scored three goals from corners. One of which was a free header that hit the bar in the first half. He wasn't that good, but he wasn't terrible. Some of his 'greatness' came from having to chase because positioning wasn't correct (mainly mellor, mind). We looked very exposed at the back last night but nothing a commanding centre half wouldn't fix.

Hmm. Derby should have scored three goals from corners. One of which was a free header that hit the bar in the first half. He wasn't that good, but he wasn't terrible. Some of his 'greatness' came from having to chase because positioning wasn't correct (mainly mellor, mind). We looked very exposed at the back last night but nothing a commanding centre half wouldn't fix.

I agree about the commanding centre back, as easy on the eye as it is to play out from the back, first and foremost a CB has to be able to defend.

I admire our passing philosophy though and am looking forward to an entertaining season.

Hit the nail on the head, J.

They had chances to make the result more comfortable...

Had big bruising daft centre halfs who took an age to control a ball let alone being able to pass the thing, got us nowhere in this division.

Its nice to have a change from the same old system, I liked the way we set up last night, yes we're gonna leak goals and our defence at times is gonna look about as useless as the Coventry City Groundsman.

Sack that..............Lets attack from the back!

Anyone thinking we are going to turn into Arsenal circa 1989 by playing Byrne at centre half is going to be disappointed.

Tarkowski and Mellor are too similar for me, comfortable enough when the play is in front of them but lacking that initial turn of foot when the ball is played in behind them.

If we really are on the limit budget wise and there's no scope to bring anyone in then I'd be tempted to switch Grounds and Mellor, on the basis Mellor giving you more going forward, Grounds the better pure defender.

I agree about the commanding centre back, as easy on the eye as it is to play out from the back, first and foremost a CB has to be able to defend.

I admire our passing philosophy though and am looking forward to an entertaining season.

The approach we are taking is one Stitch tried early in his tenure with Dux at cb, within a few weeks he had signed Thom, then later Mardon. As nice as our football was - teams were simply destroying us with pace in behind and from set-pieces.

By October Dux had been moved back into midfield alongside new arrival Shez. It remains to be seen how long LJ will persevere. I'm going to say sometime between Peterborough and the end of the PNE game.

IMO we were crying out for someone like Mellor in CM midfield last night, big strong and great eye for a pass. He's not a cb, he's done ok but he's lacking in the air, his tackling is very good, his ability to pass the ball again great but number one for a CB is being able to defend aerially.

That's not to say Mellor and Tarky could be the occasional answer for us, but I want to see us offload Wes and Byrne and bring in a leader at the back. Gregan or Garnettesque. Every team needs a bruiser even Barca have Puyol….and there's plenty of bruiser's out there who can play a bit.

Edited by oafcprozac

I think there is a little over reaction from some, yes we lost but to a championship side who by the sounds of it were very good and very well organised,I wasn't there due to working but from what people I no who went to the game we was unlucky.

Lj clearly likes Mellor at cb and if people don't like it lump it, as above we went out to a team in the league above by one goal we didn't do a wolves and go out at morcambe.

It will be fairer to judge this cb situation after 12-15 games if we are sitting pretty in the top 7-8 with plenty of entertainment will be still be moaning??

Edited by Aarondo Westy

The way we play now as enjoyable as it is, leaves the defence exposed, which for me makes it even more of a priority to get a proper centre back in rather than Mellor who's still learning the position. We played well 1st half but with the penalty shouts and them missing a couple of great opportunities on another day we could have lost by 4 or 5. With our defence the way it is at the moment I'm expecting at some point this season to be on the end of a hammering and maybe on a few occasions. We don't necessarily need a centre back with the passing ability of Xavi more often than not our centre backs play short passes into the midfield, I'm sure we can find someone that is a bit more defensively sound then Mellor but can still pass a bit.

LJ attacking tactics are going to put the defence under pressure with both full backs pushing right up on the flanks to support the attack which will leave no cover to support the CBs especially when the opposition was the calibre of Derby. Admittedly the CBs are young and not very experience but what they do have is the ability to pass the ball as shown over the recent games. I think LJ needs to let the defence drop a little deeper and sacrifice at least one of the full backs pushing up to much to provide more cover. As for Bryne coming in due to his experience I don't agree as his career so far has been lower league and not use to Championship football and is not as quick as Tarkowski and Mellor. What Derby did last night was to play deep and we found our forwards struggling to penetrate. I am happy to continue with the attacking policy as it is enjoyable to watch which makes a change over recent seasons.