Tonights game

Well 1st half thought we looked sharp, played the ball out well to the wide men,Conor Brown looked to get forward and mom for me. When they started to close us down quicker we seemed to run out of ideas. Thought Connor Sammon for them was outstanding and how the ref did not give them a penalty is beyond me. Good turnout though just over 4100 tics, that bodes well.

Connor Sammon.

I think he epitomised the difference between the two sides tonight, kept running all night, had a phenomenal work rate and backed up when he had to.

We had a great first half and should we play like that all season I think we'll be treated to some very interesting games. Looked really leggy and ran out of ideas in the second half, but I also put this down to Derby's work rate, they didnt let us settle on the ball and man marked well.

Either way, not a bad game for us, lots of positives. Mellor had a few clangers, some he recovered well, some not so well. If LJ persists on playing him though, it is all good experience. Connor Brown was excellent tonight, he was playing almost like a wing-back at times during the first half and he wasn't afraid to go forward. I thought Baxter played well as playmaker in midfields but I though Smith held back and was a little quiet at times.

Connor Sammon.

I think he epitomised the difference between the two sides tonight, kept running all night, had a phenomenal work rate and backed up when he had to.

We had a great first half and should we play like that all season I think we'll be treated to some very interesting games. Looked really leggy and ran out of ideas in the second half, but I also put this down to Derby's work rate, they didnt let us settle on the ball and man marked well.

Either way, not a bad game for us, lots of positives. Mellor had a few clangers, some he recovered well, some not so well. If LJ persists on playing him though, it is all good experience. Connor Brown was excellent tonight, he was playing almost like a wing-back at times during the first half and he wasn't afraid to go forward. I thought Baxter played well as playmaker in midfields but I though Smith held back and was a little quiet at times.

Agreed, Latics won't come up anything as good as him in Division One.

Some Connor brown summaries would be good please. I dare not start a new thread.

He was excellent for me. Good going forward, did well in defence. As I say above he was almost like a wing-back and that gave Montano/Dayton the opportunity to move inside if they could. He looked solid in defence but did leave Tarky exposed a couple of times when he went forward.

Totally different player than early last season.

Thought we played well tonight, shape disappeared for too long though after JCH went off.

Defence is a big concern but that's been done to death before tonight!

Keep playing like that though and we'll get the crowds coming back. Enjoyed tonight despite the result.

And to echo the above, Connor Sammon was fantastic.

Edited by jsslatic

First half was a breath of fresh air from last season. We kept possession well and utilised the pace in the forwards - shame we didn't carve enough openings to truly test Grant.

Second half felt like a different game. Derby came out with a game plan (two banks of four forcing errors, looking for the counter) and utilised it very well. Men against boys for the vast majority of the half and, apart from Montano's effort, the visitor's were in total control.

My question - are we good enough to keep playing the ball out from the back? Nearly cost us on more than one occasion.

We could do worse than look at Derby's organisation and efficiency and use it as a model for the season. I'm not saying we were bad, but they did what they had to and deserved the win.

As for us, we look promising. If we play like that in League One, we'll win more than we lose.

Some Connor brown summaries would be good please. I dare not start a new thread.

He was ok tonight, perhaps left the flank exposed for the goal.

If only he would cross a ball, his forward runs hardly ever produce a ball into the danger zone.

He was excellent for me. Good going forward, did well in defence. As I say above he was almost like a wing-back and that gave Montano/Dayton the opportunity to move inside if they could. He looked solid in defence but did leave Tarky exposed a couple of times when he went forward.

Totally different player than early last season.

Agreed, his passing has gone up another level, whether the way LJ wants the game played is helping him, but looks so much more assured on the ball.

He was ok tonight, perhaps left the flank exposed for the goal.

If only he would cross a ball, his forward runs hardly ever produce a ball into the danger zone.

He hit a great low cross in the first half that JCH scooped over the bar, if he'd got over the ball it would have been a certain goal.

Mellor and Tarky vulnerable in defence, thank god for Korey Smith sweeping up and protecting them. Sammon was too much to handle sometimes with the long ball but thought the full-backs were decent.

Midfield we competed well. Baxter made some nice passes but was knackered by the hour mark. Dayton threatened but Monty didn't have his best game.

JCH played really well until his injury in my opinion, held the ball up and shielded well with his strength and linked up midfield and attack. However Rooney was doing a similar thing and we needed a player to run behind the defence, could have been MacDonald or even Millar doing that job. I wouldn't put Rooney and JCH up front together anyway.

Overall a decent performance against a side with good tactics. New CB is needed or Byrne has to slot in there.

My question - are we good enough to keep playing the ball out from the back? Nearly cost us on more than one occasion.

I thought this a few times but quickly dismissed changing it when I realised we don't have any height. Maybe when JCH or Rooney is on the pitch we could send it up, but that's not conducive to LJ's footballing mentality. Derby closed us down well when they realised that was our tactic.

as supporters we have got to be pleased with the type of football we are trying to play .surely we will win plenty of games in league one with the quick slick passing and pressing the opposition . true tonight we slowly lost momentum but give derby credit they did a job on us .great turn out for the crowd Tuesday night . lets not get on the young players backs please. we cant magic up two first class centre backs so support the two home grown lads we have .

as supporters we have got to be pleased with the type of football we are trying to play .surely we will win plenty of games in league one with the quick slick passing and pressing the opposition . true tonight we slowly lost momentum but give derby credit they did a job on us .great turn out for the crowd Tuesday night . lets not get on the young players backs please. we cant magic up two first class centre backs so support the two home grown lads we have .

This x 100

Just got and took 3 non supporting latics fans with me as they were intrigued as to what I have been raving about for the past 2 weeks! Sat in the main stand and had to spend most of it biting my lip as usual...some of the older brigade need to realise that we are playing a different brand of football than they have been used to lately and we WILL give the ball away more as we are trying to pass it more!

If I had a £1 for every time I heard 'don't pass it there' to then see us gomon the attack we could have had a Chinese banquet for 4 on the way home!

I thought brown had the best game I've seen him play in a latics shirt but just seems to lack confidence when getting into a crossing position. Tarky was solid but Mellor really needs to sharpen up as whenever he was turned he was in trouble.....I really really want him to be a success there but I just can't for the life of me see it. Dayton and montano looked threatening especially in the 1st half whether out wide or tucking in.....Rooney worked hard without much reward and I thought JCH was trying too hard.

All in all I was happy to see them playing that way and losing to a very efficient derby side and. Thought the way that they shut the game down and time wasted so early in the 2nd half showed how dangerous they thought we were.

Great turn out for a midweek game and hopefully they all come on Saturday...I'll be there and 2 of the guys who came tonight have already committed to joining me as they saw what we were trying to do.

Walsall are playing some really good stuff by all accounts in a similar fashion to ourselves so should be a cracker

I'm a big fan of Tarkwoski, but I was surprised he got the MotM award tonight. He managed to look very shaky but, for the most part, get away with it. Both he and Mellor on a few occasions would go to a ball that was clearly going to run by them or bounce over their heads and then be caught on the turn. I think there could be a partnership in there, but it needs some work.

You won't find me moaning about trying to play football out from the back. Some people define a brave footballer as someone who sticks their head where most won't put their feet but, for me, bravery on the field is always wanting the ball, something that both Tarkowski and Mellor did despite losing possession on a few occasions. One of the lads we were with tonight kept moaning for them to lump it forward. If they resort to that, then rule me out folks...

I would say we had a team out there who all wanted the ball, this is the LJ philosophy, the lump it forward trick is going to be a last minute desperation thing IMO. Even though we did not get a result tonight we tried to play the game the right way. It wont work everytime but it sure is going to be better than some of the dross we have had to endure over recent seasons,

Agree with most of what has been said.

Tarkowski annoyed me again. In the midst of a decent performance he still continues to throw in unacceptably poor moments that are inexcusable in a professional footballer. Usually when he decides he cannot use his right peg and would rather turn into trouble and back towards his own goal. Cut that out and life will be easier for him.

Biggest disappointment was that when Derby realised our weakness to the through ball and tightened up the space we didn't think of a plan b.

That said, excellent first half and a genuinely exciting team in prospect. A lot of positives.