Joesph Mills

Another signing played regularly at a higher level with around 100 games under his belt.

Grounds has shown flashes ( I thought he defended really well against Derby) of his form of last year, but has also been wasteful in possesion and hasnt been bombing on down the left as he has shown.

A switch into CB might just work. He's not an outright CB but he has pace, can play from the back as he's decent on the ball and can defend.

We also bring in a LB who, whilst again is young, has 100+ 1st team games under his belt; mostly at a league higher than this.

Worse thigs could have happened to our defence ahead of tomorrow. On last weeks performance, one of those would have been Cliff Byrne coming into the starting XI.

Continued faith in LJ an his decisions...

Can I suggest, by trying to piece the jigsaw together, that LDJ wants to have a look at playing 3-5-2 (or some variant there of). With Mellor out injured, he needs to find a LWB who can defend as well as attack as Grounds is needed to play on the left side of the three. IIRC LDJ has mentioned possibly playing 3-5-2 in the past.

Either way this tells Cliff Byrne everything he needs to know about the likelihood of him playing if we re switching Grounds to CB ahead of him.

I think Johnson's trying to push Cliff and Weso out to free up the budget.

The Byrne situation is odd, given that we took up the option to keep him. Keep on smiling Cliff!

Can I suggest, by trying to piece the jigsaw together, that LDJ wants to have a look at playing 3-5-2 (or some variant there of). With Mellor out injured, he needs to find a LWB who can defend as well as attack as Grounds is needed to play on the left side of the three. IIRC LDJ has mentioned possibly playing 3-5-2 in the past.

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. We're light on full backs and heavy on wingers. Playing Mills in a 3-5-2 would leave no place for Montano to bomb up the wing. I don't think Brown is ready to play as a RWB (or Dayton).

Maybe when Mellor is back fit, LJ might leave Grounds in the centre and see how Dave does at LB..

Hope not, whilst I'd expect Mellor to be better than he was a few years ago at LB playing two players out of position, when you can only play one of them out of position is a bit silly.

I thought it was fairly unanimous that Grounds had his best game this season today playing 'out of position'? (I'm sure he's played CB before..)

Mellor at LB would be able to come far further forward on the left than he is able to in the centre. I think LB is way more akin to any central midfield than CB is. But what do I know :)