He can't do that again at home against opposition that come for a 0-0, can he?

Have we got any other option? Mellor is hardly an attacking player and the other three are definitely defencive midfielders.

Some were saying Philiskirk is more of a midfielder?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we got any other option? Mellor is hardly an attacking player and the other three are definitely defencive midfielders.

Mellor can pick a pass, have a shot, drive forward, make a late run into the box & take a freekick with that wand of a left foot. Hard to knock off the ball too & can put his foot in. A no brainer for me.

Wesolowski is our most defensive, least creative midfielder. He'll be invaluable away from home but he's a waste against :censored:e like Tranmere .

No, he's a forward similar in style to Robbie Simpson.

first game of the season for me, first half was pretty good, loved seeing two attacking wingers in the side running at full backs, just lacked the final ball. Centre midfield was a problem, Wes and Smith are too alike and we never went at them through the middle, absolutely nothing. Very harsh having ago at Rooney, good ball was just not getting into the penalty area.

Second half was average, though Danny P should have come on for JCH, like to think he would have buried that Rusnak header, didn't see Rodgers do anything of note.

Italian had one of the best debuts i've seen for some time, apart from the odd loose pass he was really good.

Absolutely battered them today, we where robbed!

I think everyone is over rating Schmeltz. He is rapid and has a boat full of skills but that's where the quality stops.

On the other hand, I don't know why people are slating Rooney. JCH can not link up with him at all, our partnership up top should be Philliskirk/MacDonald and Rooney and when we play JCH have him up top alone (as that is how I think he is suited to playing) or Charlie Mac. Oxley scares the :censored: out of me everytime the ball is near him, never looks confortable catching, punching. The only positives for him are his kicks and his shot stopping.

Rodgers I like, Albert Rucksack looks good. I would like to see Danny Phillskirk at somepoint aswell

Oxley- 6 never a pen, scares me whenever the ball is in the air.

Lanzoni- 7 would be 8 only for the lack of fitness/lack of willingness towards the end and backing out of a few challenges

Grounds- 7 Solid, mostly. Looked to play out for the back.

Tarky- 7 let it bounce a couple of times but commanding at the back. Should have had a pen first half.

Mills- 7 again. Looked to get forward, even ended up having a dig from far out (sliced it skyward like) defensively patchy but mostly good.

Dayton 6- Forgot he was on the pitch and like someone said earlier deliveries where amazing or utter :censored:.

Smith- 8 top! Kept us ticking, more freedom to roam with wes or rodgers next to him. Would be 9 but for a few misplaced passes and getting the ball lost in his feet a couple of times.

Wesolowski- 7 needs to fight to keep his place because Rodgers seems to be knocking. Tough in the tackle and looks to knock it out wide.

Schmeltz- 6 despite my rant earlier, he beat his man a couple of times but always looked to cut inside. His little flick past the defender and running round the outside of him should have resulted in a goal. Get him off corners PLEASE!

Rooney 7- tried to link up with clark harris but it doesn't work. 0 service. After Port Vale, we know he can finish once he gets the right ball.

JCH- 6 His stength, Pace, Skills, First touch were top.... In patches. Impact sub for me.

Rodgers- 7 He's knocking weso! Looked lively and didn't stop running.

Montano- 5 on and off form atm

Rusnak/Rucksack- 6 Should have bagged, looked creative however.

Never even knew johnson got sent off!

Absolutely battered them today, we where robbed!

I think everyone is over rating Schmeltz. He is rapid and has a boat full of skills but that's where the quality stops.

On the other hand, I don't know why people are slating Rooney. JCH can not link up with him at all, our partnership up top should be Philliskirk/MacDonald and Rooney and when we play JCH have him up top alone (as that is how I think he is suited to playing) or Charlie Mac. Oxley scares the :censored: out of me everytime the ball is near him, never looks confortable catching, punching. The only positives for him are his kicks and his shot stopping.

Rodgers I like, Albert Rucksack looks good. I would like to see Danny Phillskirk at somepoint aswell

Oxley- 6 never a pen, scares me whenever the ball is in the air.

Lanzoni- 7 would be 8 only for the lack of fitness/lack of willingness towards the end and backing out of a few challenges

Grounds- 7 Solid, mostly. Looked to play out for the back.

Tarky- 7 let it bounce a couple of times but commanding at the back. Should have had a pen first half.

Mills- 7 again. Looked to get forward, even ended up having a dig from far out (sliced it skyward like) defensively patchy but mostly good.

Dayton 6- Forgot he was on the pitch and like someone said earlier deliveries where amazing or utter :censored:.

Smith- 8 top! Kept us ticking, more freedom to roam with wes or rodgers next to him. Would be 9 but for a few misplaced passes and getting the ball lost in his feet a couple of times.

Wesolowski- 7 needs to fight to keep his place because Rodgers seems to be knocking. Tough in the tackle and looks to knock it out wide.

Schmeltz- 6 despite my rant earlier, he beat his man a couple of times but always looked to cut inside. His little flick past the defender and running round the outside of him should have resulted in a goal. Get him off corners PLEASE!

Rooney 7- tried to link up with clark harris but it doesn't work. 0 service. After Port Vale, we know he can finish once he gets the right ball.

JCH- 6 His stength, Pace, Skills, First touch were top.... In patches. Impact sub for me.

Rodgers- 7 He's knocking weso! Looked lively and didn't stop running.

Montano- 5 on and off form atm

Rusnak/Rucksack- 6 Should have bagged, looked creative however.

Never even knew johnson got sent off!

Mostly agree, but not about Rodgers, I feel he makes little impact on games, and Rooney hardly tested the keeper or troubled the 40 year old Goodison.

Edited by BP1960

Football..it is all about opinions.

The Latics lost (got mugged) and, as ever, there will be knee-jerk reactions, overreactions and the inevitable "we would have won with Baxter in the team".

Baxter has gone.

The football is good.

A team and manager who are still finding their feet will only get better with more time and more games.

Give me what we have now over what we had at this point last season..anytime.

I'm going to criticise the manager's substitutions.

1. While JCH wasn't delivering removing him for Rusnak left us with even less bite up top.

2. Rodgers was neat and tidy. But exactly what we didn't need at that point of the game.

I'd hate to think Anton got a game because Dad was in the crowd.

I'm going to criticise the manager's substitutions.

1. While JCH wasn't delivering removing him for Rusnak left us with even less bite up top.

2. Rodgers was neat and tidy. But exactly what we didn't need at that point of the game.

I'd hate to think Anton got a game because Dad was in the crowd.

I thought that maybe Rusnak was brought on as an 'unknown quantity' to drag the defenders away and create more space for Rooney.

However, it didn't work.

Fon Williams was hardly troubled throughout. All that nice football[particularly the first half hour] means nothing if you can't shoot straight.

True, but isn't it better to have "nice football" than :censored:e football?

At least there is more chance of an end product eventually materializing.

True, but isn't it better to have "nice football" than :censored:e football?

At least there is more chance of an end product eventually materializing.

Agreed and Oldham are much better than last season. But last week,Tranmere lost by five and it could have been many more. So basically a result was the be all and end all and should do wonders for confidence.

Agreed and Oldham are much better than last season. But last week,Tranmere lost by five and it could have been many more. So basically a result was the be all and end all and should do wonders for confidence.

They lost by five against Peterborough, who themselves lost 0-2 at home to Crawley in today's match.

I don't believe that there is any "be all and end all" at this stage of the season and at this point in the squad's development.

Exactly. I enjoyed that and soon I too will be opening a nice bottle of tempranillo.

gladiator.jpg

Are you not entertained?

That first half performance was great to watch, we battered them and terrorised their full backs. Sidney knocking the ball one way and then nipping around the player the other is surely what we go to games for?

Free flowing attacking football which looked like it was going to be a matter of how many we were going to get. Sadly we didn't make the breakthrough and despite all our recent changes, typical Laticsed it.

Second half we played all our football in front of them and let them back in it. Debatable penalty decision that led to the 0-1 that we all knew was coming as we hadn't scored when on top.

If we play like we did in the first half again we'll win more than we'll lose, either way, if that type of football isn't what you want to see at BP then I don't know what Johnson, Corney or the players can do to make you happy. More goals would be nice but they will come with playing like that.

Bloody hell....I've managed to down boat you, damn iPad.....there has got to be away of undoing that damn thing...I did it to Hallam yesterday and both times I wasn't pissed. Sorry Mr B.

Now come on youngsters how the hell do I unravel a downboat...ggrrrrrr

Or mods can't you make a bigger gap between them or one at one side one athe other.

Just got home and read the posts on this subject and I'm split on agreeing with some and disagreeing with others.

A massive plus was our debutant at full back until he ran out of energy at about the 70 mins. mark.

My two biggest concerns are Oxley.........for a big guy, his command of his area is very weak. The other is our forward choice........I've seen Rooney 3 times so far and he didn't look close to a goal in any of them (I missed last week so I can't comment) and his play with his back to goal borders on useless. I think that MacDonald's link up play is far better and would have given Goodison a lot more trouble.

As for our wingers, excellent to get to the box but the end product was shocking.

Just got home and read the posts on this subject and I'm split on agreeing with some and disagreeing with others.

A massive plus was our debutant at full back until he ran out of energy at about the 70 mins. mark.

My two biggest concerns are Oxley.........for a big guy, his command of his area is very weak. The other is our forward choice........I've seen Rooney 3 times so far and he didn't look close to a goal in any of them (I missed last week so I can't comment) and his play with his back to goal borders on useless. I think that MacDonald's link up play is far better and would have given Goodison a lot more trouble.

As for our wingers, excellent to get to the box but the end product was shocking.

It's the service into Rooney! I don't get why no one understands this?! When he gets the service he scores!

Play to Rooney's strengths like last week & he will score goals, leaving him up front on his own doesn't work we need 2 up front. Personally wouldn't of took JCH off as a partnership they will click but it's all about opinions!!

Edited by oafcforever

Our side has so much promise and once it clicks we'll blow this league apart. Anything less and I'll be severely underwhelmed and disappointed.

LJ is building a great side and won't stop even with Jose gone.

Lanzoni's a find, JCH another, Smith another, Philiskirk has that promise, Tarkowski's going to be some defender and if we get someone alongside him with pedigree on Monday then we have strength thoughout.

Come on, admit it; anything less than a play-off pace and you'll be disappointed. We haven't had so much promise and potential in a long, long while!!!!

Edited by Midsblue