It's the service into Rooney! I don't get why no one understands this?! When he gets the service he scores!

And if there is no service to Rooney like today he becomes ineffective!!! There will be plenty more days where full backs get the upper hand or our wingers, like today, just won't get it right . Harris was far more productive by running at them with the ball and should have stayed on and Rooney substituted.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're desperately missing creativity in midfield! The two defencive midfielders has never worked, especially at home.

Have I stumbled here on one of last seasons posts about PDs home game tactics ?

Edited by BP1960

Putting a bit of a negative spin on things. 3 home games 2 defeats in which we've been unable to score against fairly average teams. We struggle to break teams down who put men behind the ball. Think we need to drop Wes for home matches and play two creative midfielders.

Have I stumbled here on one of last seasons posts about PDs home game tactics ?

LJ has been a breath of fresh air, I've loved watching us since he took over most of the time, it's the one familiar problem that seems to have carried over in my opinion though.

Typical 1-0 home defeat, I'm afraid.

LJ has to take the hit - replacing JCH with a midfielder was a defensive move against a poor side. Today wasn't Rooney's fault - the manager played a formation which gave him no support.

Schmeltz will probably appear on Soccer AM on the "Showboat" section but has no final ball, so from now on should be a back up.

Baxter wouldn't have made any difference.

Hats off to Tranmere and their tiny following - they did a job on us. As it stands in the league, it's two good and two bad.

We move on...

Typical 1-0 home defeat, I'm afraid.

LJ has to take the hit - replacing JCH with a midfielder was a defensive move against a poor side. Today wasn't Rooney's fault - the manager played a formation which gave him no support.

Schmeltz will probably appear on Soccer AM on the "Showboat" section but has no final ball, so from now on should be a back up.

Hats off to Tranmere and their tiny following - they did a job on us. As it stands in the league, it's two good and two bad.

We move on...

Agree with all this. But the only job they came to do was to get a point. Zero ambition. Yet they went with all 3.

Agree with all this. But the only job they came to do was to get a point. Zero ambition. Yet they went with all 3.

No, they came to soak up early pressure, slow the game down, get control and pinch a win.

Which they did (admittedly not with the ease that the numerous other teams have done over the years..).

Edited by JoeP

No, they came to soak up early pressure, slow the game down, get control and pinch a win.

Which they did (admittedly not with the ease that the numerous other teams have done over the years..).

Honestly I don't think they ever had winning in their minds, they must have been laughing all the way home when they left with 3!

We're desperately missing creativity in midfield! The two defencive midfielders has never worked, especially at home.

That's why we have such expressive, quick-footed wingers and why we're playing 442. The amount of times we sliced through their midfield today was unreal, just desperately needed that final ball and finish.

I think we played the wrong tactics today. We should have been pushing through balls down the middle. Put either Sid or Dayton on Goodison and make him run around. He gobbled up all the crosses that came in his direction. Midfield was none existent and we would have been better bringing on Mellor instead of Rodgers and Philli instead of Rusnak. We finished the game with one up top which was ludicrous.

Lanzoni- 7 would be 8 only for the lack of fitness/lack of willingness towards the end and backing out of a few challenges

Grounds- 7 Solid, mostly. Looked to play out for the back.

Tarky- 7 let it bounce a couple of times but commanding at the back. Should have had a pen first half.

Never even knew johnson got sent off!

I think Lanzoni's 'lack of fitness' is being a bit over egged, he was definitely injured late on and had put a proper shift in too in his first game at this level.

I thought Grounds was the one who let the ball bounce on a few occasions, the only reason I had to complain with the back four, who, given a few mistakes that are inevitable at our level, really played very well.

You should have seen Johnson take his coat off, throw to the floor and kick it about, to say he was livid..... :ranting:

A bit harsh on Schmeltz. I thought he was very good considering that was his first league start (I think?). The final ball will only get better with practice and he should get more composed the more he plays.

To say Baxter wouldn't have made a difference is bizarre. That type of player was exactly what we were missing.

We might have had more success from the wings if they had to worry about us through the middle aswell.

"It was a nailed on penalty" - Ronnie Moore

The only thing nailed on I hope is your P45 by end of the season. Now I know why he's loved by OAFC so much... blowing kisses to the main stand apparently after the final whistle

If there's one thing you need to do LJ is batter them at Prenton Park and I mean batter them! Fill the away end and let's have a party...

Edited by Midsblue

Ox got both hands to the ball and the attacker fell over him. If that had been a defender sliding in and kicking the ball away it would have been hailed as a brilliant last ditch challenge/tackle. How anyone can say that was a penalty is beyond me. It lost us 2 points, and being in the 4th minute of stoppage time just rubs salt in a gaping wound. Ref should be flayed in public for that, but it'll go unpunished I suspect.

Edited by BlueJazzer

It sounds as though LJ has put together a very good squad that will get better and better. It is a very, very inexperienced one though and somebody like Wellens would be a godsend. Charlie Mac up front yesterday might have improved things. In 60 years of watching Latics I can't remember so many youngsters in nearly every position. It promises well but we do need two old heads to remove the gaucheness.

A bit harsh on Schmeltz. I thought he was very good considering that was his first league start (I think?). The final ball will only get better with practice and he should get more composed the more he plays.

To say Baxter wouldn't have made a difference is bizarre. That type of player was exactly what we were missing.

We might have had more success from the wings if they had to worry about us through the middle aswell.

His role as a winger, first league start or otherwise, is to deliver decent balls into the box, surely? In my opinion he didn't do that.

It was inevitable some people were going to say Baxter would have made the difference, but there's been plenty of similar games where Baxter has played but the outcome has been the same.

Slept on it now and i think it just has to be filled under the "just one of those games" banner.

We dominated the game for 65-70mins, but in that domination; only created 4 chances; none being taken. Had JCH taken the best of the 4 and buried his early header as he should have; its a different game. Oh, had the blantant pull / climb / wrestle on Tarky been given; different game too.

But - for one of the 1st times; i still find myself questioning LJ and his subs. I like the fact he is brave and isnt afraid to change it up; but yesterday IMO, he got it wrong.

Taking JCH off for Rusnak only resulted in us slipping from a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 and only really isolating Rooney. Wes off for Rodgers was very like for like. Montano looked like Montano from last season, unfit and disinterested, and not the "new" version of this season.

All 3 of the changes had an impact - but not in the way LJ hoped and we hoped. They allowed a poor Tranmere side a foothold back into the game and TBH, i could see a sucker punch coming.

Didn't think it would be gifted to them in that way;but i could see them nicking a goal. Shocking decision, and an awful way to lose but they do say they even out over a season so hopefully we get a gift in the coming weeks.

Special mention to Schmeltz - the new entertainer, and to both fullbacks, Mills and Lanzoni; especially Matteo on debut.

We'll play worse, a lot worse, and win this season. Just one of those games...

Neither did Dayton or Montano.

Why single out Schmeltz who put in the best performance of the three?

Because people around me seemed to be cooing over his pointless dancing around the ball and step-overs and were, in my opinion, mistakenly confusing that for good play.

Montano and Dayton have recently been good at what they do (admittedly Montano made a mess of one cross yesterday..) so it surprised me that Schmeltz started ahead of Monty.

Edited by JoeP