Team for Monday?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13th September, which would make Preston his last game. I can see it being extended, though.

Hopefully it is extended. I think the defence is doing a decent job at the moment and I don't think Kusunga needs to be brought in just yet. IF however Mills loan can't be extended I will be more than happy to stick Grounds back in at LB and brig Kusunga in.

As a starting point I'd look at keeping as close to the same XI that started last night. They earned their places so they should get the right to keep them.

The only debatable issues come in midfield. Dayton will probably get the nod ahead on Rusnak although I think the City loanee would help us retain the ball better. It's a tough call either way. Rodgers is the only other player who probably didn't do enough to start and Wes would be the safe choice against a physical PNE, but if we are looking to set a good tempo and pass it around them then Rodgers would suit that better.

I'm not getting carried away with Sidney. He deserves his place on Monday but he needs to prove that he can be somewhere near consistent to make the place his own. No question that he has the talent and pace though.

Rodgers is very good at looking after the ball, which is why I think i'd give him the nod Monday, Korey Smith can break up play etc.

It's a big pitch PNE so the pace of our counter attacks could bring us much joy.

Jonson Clarke-Harris to come on and batter them for the last 20.

Got a good feeling about this game.

Rodgers is very good at looking after the ball, which is why I think i'd give him the nod Monday, Korey Smith can break up play etc.

I can see how he could be as he has a low centre of gravity and quick feet, but if you saw some of his wayward passes last night including a suicidal back pass you might think otherwise.

I can see how he could be as he has a low centre of gravity and quick feet, but if you saw some of his wayward passes last night including a suicidal back pass you might think otherwise.

True, I'm purely basing my opinion of the 3 or 4 sub appearances he has made. Maybe Wes will get the nod, another brace like he scored in the 3-3 would go down well.

Mellor and Smith are the medium to long term plan I'm sure. Wes can't pass it but we need his grit I think against PNE + he likes it up there!

On Rogers ... I was very excited to see him for a full game and came away very disappointed (the only one on the night):

Neat & tidy = check

Combative = not convinced

Creative = not at all. Mellor's first pass was more creative than any pass Anton had made in the previous 70mins.

Add to that a couple of hospital passes that could easily have seen us at 1-1 before DP's second.

Real shame as had high hopes.

Looking forward it must be Mellor and Smith if we are looking to challenge in the top half

Sid was MOM and leaves the other 3 (monty, dayton & rusnak) competing for the right wing berth on Monday. Sid on the left makes a huge impact on his ability to cause havoc, despite his goal coming from the getting to the byline everything else he produced was after a out to in run and a pass or shot. We know he can't cross so left > right wing for Sid.

I'd start with Wes and Dayton at PNE.

Danny P has to start. He was a revelation in the no.10 role but always gives Rooney a partner in the box. Excellent (belated) debut.

Edited by eyres_28

Sid was MOM and leaves the other 3 (monty, dayton & rusnak) competing for the right wing berth on Monday. Sid on the left makes a huge impact on his ability to cause havoc, despite his goal coming from the getting to the byline everything else he produced was after a out to in run and a pass or shot. We know he can't cross so left > right wing for Sid.

I agreed with pretty much everything else, but that cross for JCH late on was fantastic!

take the weak and anonimous dayton out and play anyone else, he,s the most ineffectuallwinger we have,

Have only seen Dayton twice , but IMHO there's a good player in there somewhere waiting to be unleashed

He wimps out of challenges and looks half hearted, but I've seen one or two sparks that when he gets the ball he could beat one or two men and het some crosses in

Frustrating

LJ must know there's more that he has to offer

Not sure at the moment what the Killie manager saw in him to suggest that he could play for England ?

Edited by stevesidg

LJ mentioned Kusunga could play in midfield, I wonder if he has that in mind for the Preston game (assuming the International clearance comes through) ?

From what I've seen on video Kusunga could fit the bill, he will have been training with the team in various roles so LJ could well spring a surprise.

Edited by BP1960

I think that there is no need really to try him in midfield, Korey has been excellent this season. To partner him, Rodgers has been decent. Wes has been decent and Mellor has a chance to make that his role, for me Wes should partner Smith for Preston, but then against Rotherham I would try Mellor with Smith.

I think that there is no need really to try him in midfield, Korey has been excellent this season. To partner him, Rodgers has been decent. Wes has been decent and Mellor has a chance to make that his role, for me Wes should partner Smith for Preston, but then against Rotherham I would try Mellor with Smith.

I don't think LJ is overly happy with either Wesolowski, Rodgers or Mellor partnering Smith hence my suggestion, barring injuries Kusungu won't dislodge the present back four, and looks too good to be on the bench.

I'm sure LJ will have tried Kusunga in midfield in training, so the role won't be unfamiliar to him.

Edited by BP1960

I don't think LJ is overly happy with either Wesolowski, Rodgers or Mellor partnering Smith hence my suggestion, barring injuries Kusungu won't dislodge the present back four, and looks too good to be on the bench.

I'm sure LJ will have tried Kusunga in midfield in training, so the role won't be unfamiliar to him.

I don't think it's to do with him not being happy with wes , mellor or Rodgers . hes just finding the right partner for korey dependent on performances and tactical reasons . I would be happy for any of the three to start on Monday. I think wes will be selected . Headache for Lj but a good headache . No need to rush kusunga Ito the starting eleven .

I don't think it's to do with him not being happy with wes , mellor or Rodgers . hes just finding the right partner for korey dependent on performances and tactical reasons . I would be happy for any of the three to start on Monday. I think wes will be selected . Headache for Lj but a good headache . No need to rush kusunga Ito the starting eleven .

I agree he's just switching things round and having a look. I think that Mellor should get the nod but in some big physical games against big sides we should stick Wes in, having a squad that we can chop and change is important.