North Stand update

Yep. Railing against something that doesn't really affect you is worse than being a nimby.

Hardly rallying against it, if it happened I wouldnt care, just adding to the argument that theres more pressing issues than smoking, and that people should have some restraint if they cant smoke due to the regulations to not smoke.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly rallying against it, if it happened I wouldnt care, just adding to the argument that theres more pressing issues than smoking, and that people should have some restraint if they cant smoke due to the regulations to not smoke.

Let me just make it clear Youngen, there are no current regulations in the UK regarding smoking in the open air only at Latics.

As a consequence, and yes it might partly be the fault of people with no or little discipline, the smokers who cannot last those 2 hours, go to have a smoke in covered areas within the ground, usually to the inconvenience of other paying spectators.

I, despite my username, do not! It is no hardship really to go without the cigs for the duration of the match!

BUT What I do get annoyed at, is people telling me not to smoke, especially out in the fresh air! It is my body and my health and if everybody gave up smoking or was forced to do so, then your tax bill would rise quite considerably!

Let me just make it clear Youngen, there are no current regulations in the UK regarding smoking in the open air only at Latics.As a consequence, and yes it might partly be the fault of people with no or little discipline, the smokers who cannot last those 2 hours, go to have a smoke in covered areas within the ground, usually to the inconvenience of other paying spectators.I, despite my username, do not! It is no hardship really to go without the cigs for the duration of the match!BUT What I do get annoyed at, is people telling me not to smoke, especially out in the fresh air! It is my body and my health and if everybody gave up smoking or was forced to do so, then your tax bill would rise quite considerably!

Actually the last bit is quite inaccurate. Whilst the tax on cigarettes puts some money back into NHS, it is not enough to cover for what the smoking related diseases take out. It is not just your body too, passive smoking is a recognised health hazard, hence why the ban was introduced in public places in the first place. Plus (and this is perhaps not as relevant to the Chaddy or RRE) the fire hazard risks of smoking at football games is not one to be taken lightly.

However, there are sections of the ground where a smoking area would be more exposed to the elements than many legal smoking areas in pubs etc. I have less problem with smokers smoking in designated smoking areas at BP, if those areas were out of the way, than the current status quo of unofficial smoking areas in the toilets.

According to this report, http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_121.pdf smoking costs society over £15bn per year. Only £2.5bn of that is cost to the NHS, so if the other figure of £5.2bn is used for cost to the NHS, it is more like £17.5bn.

That's £5bn more than what is made from tax associated with smoking, it will probably be more as when that report was commissioned the tax from smoking was more like £9bn.

Actually the last bit is quite inaccurate. Whilst the tax on cigarettes puts some money back into NHS, it is not enough to cover for what the smoking related diseases take out. It is not just your body too, passive smoking is a recognised health hazard, hence why the ban was introduced in public places in the first place. Plus (and this is perhaps not as relevant to the Chaddy or RRE) the fire hazard risks of smoking at football games is not one to be taken lightly.

However, there are sections of the ground where a smoking area would be more exposed to the elements than many legal smoking areas in pubs etc. I have less problem with smokers smoking in designated smoking areas at BP, if those areas were out of the way, than the current status quo of unofficial smoking areas in the toilets.

Actually the costs to the NHS will probably be covered by my not lying in a pool of my own urine in some privately owned nursing home thereby saving the DSS some £25K per annum for several years boring the other residents about the times I went to Wembley.

It is still a free country! All I want is to be able to smoke without expecting someone else to inhale it.

You can sack someone because they have a cig outside office hours away from business peroperty 2 mins before work when he is not being paid? somehow I dont think you would get away with that.

If someone sacked me becasue I had a cig on my way to work I would take them to the cleaners!

Maybe if you took yourself to the cleaners then people wouldn't be able to tell you were a filthy smoker. :laught30:

I don't know whether you smokers have noticed, but you stink when you smoke, and people who have will power and a brain don't want to smell you.

As the role is a customer facing role, and we had complaints from customers, it is absolutely legal to send someone home without pay - and terminate for repeated breaches. Just the same as if the employee smells for any other reason besides a medical condition.

If that makes me Adolph in smokers' eyes, fine. In fact, I am doing the exact opposite, I am trying to make it so stupid smokers live longer!

P.S. Agree with the comment about the cricket team, I am English remember. I have two international teams I go for - England and anyone vs Australia. It is pretty unlikely an Australian person would start supporting Oldham, don't you think?

Maybe if you took yourself to the cleaners then people wouldn't be able to tell you were a filthy smoker. :laught30:

I don't know whether you smokers have noticed, but you stink when you smoke, and people who have will power and a brain don't want to smell you.

As the role is a customer facing role, and we had complaints from customers, it is absolutely legal to send someone home without pay - and terminate for repeated breaches. Just the same as if the employee smells for any other reason besides a medical condition.

If that makes me Adolph in smokers' eyes, fine. In fact, I am doing the exact opposite, I am trying to make it so stupid smokers live longer!

P.S. Agree with the comment about the cricket team, I am English remember. I have two international teams I go for - England and anyone vs Australia. It is pretty unlikely an Australian person would start supporting Oldham, don't you think?

Just to clarify, I never said that you were Australian! You misunderstood.

I am English too remember and please remember that I stayed.

Just to point out most of us make 'selfish' decisions every day, smokers have just become a convenient scapegoat. Most people eat too much salt, too much saturated fat, too much sugar, exercise too little, don't eat enough vegetables, drink too much alcohol, all things we know are proven to be bad for you and can cause a multitude of diseases. Nobody is complaining about people who have a half time pie I notice. My point is, to pick out smokers and smugly tell them what a burden they are on our NHS is pretty ridiculous considering the majority of us are probably doing the same just through different means via our own bad choices. I don't like the smell, I can't see the point in it but it's their choice.

Every time you eat more than your GDA of fat or drink over the recommended daily alcohol intake I assume you absolve yourself of your sins by flogging...

Just to point out most of us make 'selfish' decisions every day, smokers have just become a convenient scapegoat. Most people eat too much salt, too much saturated fat, too much sugar, exercise too little, don't eat enough vegetables, drink too much alcohol, all things we know are proven to be bad for you and can cause a multitude of diseases. Nobody is complaining about people who have a half time pie I notice. My point is, to pick out smokers and smugly tell them what a burden they are on our NHS is pretty ridiculous considering the majority of us are probably doing the same just through different means via our own bad choices. I don't like the smell, I can't see the point in it but it's their choice.

Every time you eat more than your GDA of fat or drink over the recommended daily alcohol intake I assume you absolve yourself of your sins by flogging...

In fairness, obesity and obese people do get in the neck as well. Have you heard the chant 'who ate all the Pies'? I've never heard the equivalent for smoking.

The difference being that smokers can directly harm others as a result of their actions (alcohol has the potential to, but a bit more dependent on the individual).

That's just me nitpicking, though. I'm firmly in the let-'em-have-a-tab camp.

Just to point out, my original complaint about smoking wasnt people smoking. I couldnt care less what people do. I hang around with a vile mob of drug abusing :censored:, but I dont judge them, its up to them. Idont really care whether they are a burden, the NHS will still be available to me as a non smoker. Its that people should be more interested in the club investing their time wiser than debating whether a smoking shelter should be put in place in the Rocky Road end!!

Edited by youngen

According to this report, http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_121.pdf smoking costs society over £15bn per year. Only £2.5bn of that is cost to the NHS, so if the other figure of £5.2bn is used for cost to the NHS, it is more like £17.5bn.

That's £5bn more than what is made from tax associated with smoking, it will probably be more as when that report was commissioned the tax from smoking was more like £9bn.

I love these reports that measure, "the cost to society." They assume that we exist to boost GDP. Anyway, it's plain wrong financially. We all die, and the Treasury is quids in if it happens fairly close to retirement age.t

The difference being that smokers can directly harm others as a result of their actions (alcohol has the potential to, but a bit more dependent on the individual).

That's just me nitpicking, though. I'm firmly in the let-'em-have-a-tab camp.

fat people can cause damage to others if dropped from height...