Hodgson: racist or man with taste for decades-old jokes?

Half-time jibber-jabber  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Was Roy Hodgson's half-time team talk:

• racist?
    • possibly a little bit retro for your modern-day footballer?

My view is Hodgson was getting his message across to blokes who are, to be fair, about one third his age. In the context of the "feed the monkey" joke, he was dead right. A better choice of words might have been: "Townsend, not you, will win us the game, therefore give the :censored:ing ball to Townsend."

My worry is it somehow got out of the dressing room. The team and the management were massively undermined in South Africa by Terry's constant open line to the press (which included him complaining, amazingly, of boredom). Whoever grassed should be watching us on the telly in the summer.

My view is that if anybody thinks what he said was in any way racist then they are a complete and utter :censored:ing idiot.

Yes yes and yes.

As for the source of the leak and the :censored: who printed it - the player should be named and told he won't be going to Brazil, and The Sun should be excluded from the media party. (If Fergie can do that, so can the FA).

Of course, the FA haven't got half a functioning bollock between them, so neither of these things will happen.

And Kick It Out have now lost all credibility whatsoever, the :censored:ing morons.

This story was published by that standard bearer for non-existent stories about racism, one O. Holt of the Mirror. I'm more concerned about what he is trying to masquerade by publishing all these "racism" stories, than I am about Hodgson being racist.

No doubt they will bring up the fact that Hodgson played in Apartheid SA soon.

The story was indeed published by Ollie Holt, standard bearer for completely cuntish journalism. But the player who leaked it went to the Sun. Can't be bothered finding out who.

All this does is expand the list of :censored: involved:

The player who leaked it

Kick It Out

The Sun

The Mirror

Every single :censored:ing journalist in the entire world

Every single :censored:ing social media bandwagon jumping perpetually outraged single brain celled moron on the internet

This story was published by that standard bearer for non-existent stories about racism, one O. Holt of the Mirror. I'm more concerned about what he is trying to masquerade by publishing all these "racism" stories, than I am about Hodgson being racist.

No doubt they will bring up the fact that Hodgson played in Apartheid SA soon.

I didn't know that. I'm changing my vote.

Before the witch-hunt starts a lot of gaps to be filled in with this story - I find it hard to believe that a player has actively tried to contact The Sun to give them a story about this. Maybe an off the cuff insight to what was said at half-time outside the ground to a journalist after the match that (shock-horror!) The Sun have blown out of all proportion? Not the smartest thing to do, but then you'd have to not be very smart to misinterpret the joke.

We live in an era where the PFA see fit to tell a black man from Georgia that he can't say the word, "nigger." You can get big problems when one or two organizations (usually meaning 3 or 4 people) are allowed to define the whole agenda and bounds of discussion

My view is that if anybody thinks what he said was in any way racist then they are a complete and utter :censored:ing idiot.

And exactly as racist themselves as they accuse others of being.

Things like this being considered racist wouldn't cross he minds of someone who isn't themselves prejudiced in some way. Reminds me of some of the racism stories that The Young Turks like to run. One story involved some nutjob comparing Obama to a drug dealer because of some policy or other. Cenk Uygur considered that comment to be racially motivated (drug dealers = black people apparantly). Of course no such motivation was remotely stated or implied.

It's also kind of like how some of the religious conservatives who most fierely oppose homosexuality, end up getting outed themselves.

Guest Scratch2000uk

And exactly as racist themselves as they accuse others of being.

Things like this being considered racist wouldn't cross he minds of someone who isn't themselves prejudiced in some way. Reminds me of some of the racism stories that The Young Turks like to run. One story involved some nutjob comparing Obama to a drug dealer because of some policy or other. Cenk Uygur considered that comment to be racially motivated (drug dealers = black people apparantly). Of course no such motivation was remotely stated or implied.

It's also kind of like how some of the religious conservatives who most fierely oppose homosexuality, end up getting outed themselves.

Cenk is a total :censored:.

What an absolute nonsense of a story!

I don't get our media it always seems to be right before a major tournament they go digging for something possibly wrong in or with individuals in the England side (badly behaved players etc.). Don't get me wrong if there is something serious that needs reporting then report but it just feels needless and can unsettle our side slightly right before a big tournament for no reason. Pretty sure they have made a big song and dance over non-news such as some players private lives in the past (player x is cheating on player y's wife). Wankers.

I don't think that there was any intention him of being racist and what he said was just meant as an example.

I am pretty amazed that he didn't click that it would be a bad example though, but again, I suppose that's the point that he was being a little naive and a little benefit of the doubt should be given for naivity when no malice is meant.

It reminds me somewhat of one of my teachers at School who was taking about how she loved her cat and loved to stroke it and couldn't undertstand why everyone was so interested and found it amusing (n.b. she didn't use the word cat)

As for the leak, could it not be that one of the players found the story amusing or controversial and simply told someone else and then it went on from there, rather than actually being leaked.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

As for the leak, could it not be that one of the players found the story amusing or controversial and simply told someone else and then it went on from there, rather than actually being leaked.

That is quite possible. Or at the very least, a player told "his mate" from the Sun the hilarious joke Woy told at half time and the 'journalist' took it from there...

That is quite possible. Or at the very least, a player told "his mate" from the Sun the hilarious joke Woy told at half time and the 'journalist' took it from there...

That's very plausible.

Journo: What did Roy say at half time?

Player: Told a weird joke about space monkeys.

Journo: Really? What was the joke?

Player: ...CAPCOM says, 'In 15 mins, feed the monkey.'

Journo: Racist!

That miserable fart is paid enough and is old enough to know he shouldn't even go near that area.

That miserable fart is paid enough and is old enough to know he shouldn't even go near that area.

He didn't think he was going near "that area" and very few other people reckon he was either.

Even before the monkey joke scandalously got out of the dressing room, I worried about Roy's psychological condition. His body language on the touchline in both games was more or less excruciating - somewhat different to his demeanor at The Hawthorns or The Cottage or even the San Siro or Anfield. It was classic England-manager-as-national-fool behaviour.

On Sportsweek this morning, Garry Richardson asks Trevor Brooking to pass on congratulations to Roy. Intriguingly, Trevor replies that Garry's warm words would give Roy "a boost", strongly suggesting that Roy is currently laid up with nervous exhaustion. (I also wonder why Roy himself wasn't on the programme to reflect on his success.)

What area? Calling a monkey a :censored:ing monkey? So we're not allowed to talk about monkeys now?

Tell you what, to make life simple for all the :censored: brained right on liberal do googers, we'll ban monkeys, bananas and everything that's black.

What about owls? I find owls offensive too.

What area? Calling a monkey a :censored:ing monkey? So we're not allowed to talk about monkeys now?

Tell you what, to make life simple for all the :censored: brained right on liberal do googers, we'll ban monkeys, bananas and everything that's black.

What about owls? I find owls offensive too.

Eh?

I'm saying Roy should be careful because the media will try to bite his arse off at every corner.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

But at what point does it stop being 'careful' and start just being downright :censored:ing stupid.

If you can't use the word 'monkey' WHEN SPECIFICALLY REFERRING TO A MONKEY then I contend we have reached the point of downright :censored:ing stupid.

Woy is a particularly considered and eloquent person, he has every right to be absolutely livid with the sections of the media that have deliberately turned this into an issue.